PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on the Open

pooltchr
09-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Just returned from my first US Open! We couldn't stay for the last day /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif because of work, but the rest of the week was great.

Sitting in one place and seeing all of the best players in the world at one time /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Earl, never one to disappoint, creating a scene with the media in the middle of his match. Fortunately, his opponent stepped up to prevent things from getting ugly.

Meeting and putting faces with all the CCBrs /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Playing in the CCB tournament (Watch out next year, JMD /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Pool 24/7 either at the conference center or over at Q-masters...sleep was a very inconvenient necessity that just interrupted all the fun!

CC...sorry I never got to play that op game for Nick, but he is much better than I am anyway, so you wouldn't have had much competition.

Nick, I have your CCB pins.

Kato, See! You really CAN jump a ball!!!!

Ross, Imagine a Republican and a Democrat teamed up as partners in the first round! I think that was planned! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Best of all was just building up some friendships that I expect will last a LONG time!

Can't wait until next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

Barbara
09-12-2004, 02:34 PM
Hey Steve!!

I'm glad to have met you and played with you and just remember, Carol's "Lock and Load", baby!! Boy did we have fun!!

Have fun with your prizes from the tourny!!

Barbara

cueball1950
09-12-2004, 05:02 PM
Steve...my pleasure. glad you had such a good time and cannot wait until next year myself to have another great time with everybody............................mike

stickman
09-12-2004, 06:35 PM
I can only imagine going to my first US Open, but God willing I'll make it next year. Glad you had a great time!

Jim

Brian in VA
09-12-2004, 06:38 PM
I too had to return after Saturday nite's action in order to be here for an appliance delivery at 8 this morning. At 9:30 I got a call they weren't coming! GRRRRR! Spent the entire day painting instead and finally finished. Now it's on to grouting and installing counter tops.

As always, the Open was a ball. Great to see some old friends and make some new ones. The CCB tourney is such a good time, a wonderful way to spend a day hanging out and playing the game we all love. (What is it about this outing that brings out the worst in my game? I always play like a dog during it. Myabe I'm not used to such a high caliber of woofing! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

To everyone that arranged all the prizes I say thanks! When my wife found out all that I'd won, she said I could play every year. (Like that was an issue!) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I'll attempt to find the time to make something for next years tourney in my wood shop.

I hope you all travel home safely; I know the FLA contingent may have some issues due to Ivan the Terrible but those things unpredictable so I'll hold a good thought for you all.

Whenever travel brings you back to the Old Dominion outside of Open week, be sure to look me up. JMD and I will gladly host anyone at our local room for an evening.

Take care all!
Brian

Wally_in_Cincy
09-14-2004, 06:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> ....Ross, Imagine a Republican and a Democrat teamed up as partners in the first round! I think that was planned! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif...<hr /></blockquote>

Ross and I went 2-0 . I guess it was the perfect balance of left and right /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nice meeting you poolteacher Steve. Got any cues you wanna sell?

pooltchr
09-14-2004, 10:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Ross and I went 2-0 . I guess it was the perfect balance of left and right /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nice meeting you poolteacher Steve. Got any cues you wanna sell? <hr /></blockquote>

Maybe that balance works well...He and I also took two games together in the first round.
It was great meeting you too, Wally. Yeah, I actually have a couple more cues than I had a week ago. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif How lucky is THAT?????? Actually, I'm thinking about replacing the cheap one piece cues in the wall rack at home so I have something better to grab when I get the urge to hit a couple at home.
Steve

Wally_in_Cincy
09-14-2004, 10:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> ...Actually, I'm thinking about replacing the cheap one piece cues in the wall rack at home so I have something better to grab when I get the urge to hit a couple at home.
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Good idea. You would not want to sell them as they contain fond memories of a fun party.

I still think you should just slap a Fury decal on them and nobody will be the wiser /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kato
09-15-2004, 09:55 AM
You'll be pleased to know I bought a jump cue and executed a perfect jump shot not using the dart stroke and Cathy Rhoads saw it!!!!!!!! Made the ball, table length and got some shape. I owe ya man. Thanks.

Kato

pooltchr
09-15-2004, 10:12 AM
Way to go, Dude! Once you get the feel of it, it just gets easier and easier!
Glad I could help. Now next year at CCB4, if you are on my opponent's team, you can't use that against me!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Steve

Harold Acosta
09-16-2004, 11:07 PM
Hey pooltchr:

You have a mean game my friend! Very nice meeting you and talking throughout the Open and the CCB Tournament.

Chris Cass also has a mean game; and he was very kind to me on a missed shot!....thanks for the advice.

Mike, thanks for the gifts. I'll treasure them my friend.

and to all others, hope to see you again at another US Open!

pooltchr
09-17-2004, 06:27 AM
Harold,
Thanks for the compliment, but I still have a long way to go before I am happy with my game. I may never get to that point, but I plan to continue working toward it.

It was a pleasure meeting you and I enjoyed our break time talking outside the cc. Maybe we will be able to do a little business together as well.

Hope to see you again next year at the open.
Steve

pooltchr
09-17-2004, 06:29 AM
Oh, yeah. As Scott Smith would say....

PUERTO RICO!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

Chris Cass
09-17-2004, 06:47 AM
Harold,

You were one special surprize that made my day and week for that matter. I admire your devotion to your countrymen and the help you gave them throughout the event. They couldn't have a better man standing by them. Your the greatest and I envy your closeness to your buddies. You brought much class to the open and your players were outstanding.

Regards,

C.C.~~enjoyed talking with Harold finally in person. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Harold Acosta
09-17-2004, 12:44 PM
Got your business card. Will visit your website. Let me know about any of the Fury Tours. We have lots of amateur players in Puerto Rico.

Harold ~ Cheerleader for the Puerto Rican Contingent

Harold Acosta
09-17-2004, 01:37 PM
Oh chucks, Chris! I wanted to give you my support for playing at the US Open. I knew you would be surprised so I kept it a secret. Your playing at the Open was very much deserved; I couldn't be happier for you.

I once had the same dream but now I'm involved in other endeavors; trying to get our countrymen involved in all those Great World Pool Tournaments as President of the Puerto Rican Billiard Federation.

...and I was just doing my job. I flew in separately from my countrymen; so I just wanted to know if everything was OK for them; cheering them up, encouraging them.

Scott Smith was also great, announcing the Puerto Rican Contingent everytime they played. PUERTO RICOOOOO! That was a great moral booster for them; and needless to say, for myself. We had 4 of the top 10 players from Puerto Rico, plus two young guns. There was a total of 12 Puerto Ricans at the event. We were in fact a contingent.

Barry Behrman also took the time to personnally talk with me on about 3 different occasions. It was just great getting reacquainted with him since my last visit in 1999.

I also got to play some bank pool with Brady for a couple of minutes at the small Diamond Table. He has some great banking abilities. It was fun Brady!

<font color="red"> Maybe next year, there could be a special game between Team Puerto Rico I, Team Puerto Rico II, Team USA, and Team Phillipines. That would be just great!</font color>

Brady, Barry, Scott Smith, are you reading this?

Harold Acosta - President
Federacion Puertorriqueña de Billar

http://www.cpbillar.org/versioningles/paginasweb/begin.html
Then click on Members for list of all Federations

http://www.wpa-pool.com/assoc-cpb.htm

<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/animated-stars.gif