PDA

View Full Version : The 3rd Annual CCB Tournament

Barbara
09-12-2004, 02:31 PM
Well Folks, what can I say - it was all I expected it to be and more!! What a pleasure it was to meet and play with all theses CCB board members and some extras!!

First off, to Mr. Ingrate (Dave), thank you for letting us use your Fun Tournament software, it was TOO MUCH FUN!!! I got to play with just about 90% of the players, but we decided to go only 15 of the 20 rounds because we wanted to get back to watch the 7 pm matches. Thank you for letting us use your software program!! I highly recommend this format for fun events!!

To Rich R. and Mrs Rich (Cathy) R. - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! Cathy was fantastic in that not only was she prepared with Dave's tournament format, but she also earned her "Prepared Badge" by pre-printing the tournament format in case Red Hell's printer didn't work. Which, BTW, it didn't. Oh well. But it was okay cause Cathy had the slips of teams ready to go and could tally the results up on the laptop. So if it wasn't for "Team Rich and Cathy R", we wouldn't have had such a great time! Rich, thanks for announcing all the matches. I hope you've recovered your voice by now!

And thanks to RedHell for donating the printer in the first place. Okay, so "schtuff happens". So the settings wouldn't budge and you tried your damndest to get it to work. Thanks for your major effort!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif But we know it doesn't hardly eclipse your effort to get us to the restaurant Friday night. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif I do have an idea how you got the handle, RedHell, though. You drive like hell in a red car. Never mind the people who are trying to follow you because you're the only one with directions and GPS. BTW, did anyone ever mention that the Yukon Steak House is NOT located anywhere near Yukon, Alaska? J/K!!! it was a real pleasure meeting you and your lovely wife and I wish you a safe trip trip back to Quebec!!

And thanks to Cueball1950 for donating the most prizes I have ever seen!! WOW!!! Enjoy that ball display rack from Pooldaddy9!!

And I'm not going to even try to mention all the other prize donations and personal contributions to this event, but I want to thank everyone that contributed to such a fun tourny and everyone out that made things happen, not least of all Barry Behrman who let us use his Green Room for the duration of our event!

And Mike Panozzo from BD that attended and may do a write up of what he saw!! Woohoo!! He was having fun with us, and contributed 4 Billiards Digest shirts to the prize fund and even bought us drinks at our Friday night dinner at the Yukon!! For that, Mike has made my permanent "Nuts List"!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And thanks to Phil in So Fla for taking me out of contention for a 1/2/3rd spot, you killed me!! You have got some game!! Ouch!! Next time I'll bring MY protractor - it couldn't hurt!! HAHAHAHA!!! And I love to play with Kato, but I have his "number" when playing against him - "Oh Kato, look at that gaggle of chicks walking across the parking lot"! Ditto for Eric.!!

And Wesk, you are my hero!! You had some great shots and position in our last match!!

And to all of youse CCBers that I paired up with and dogged my end of the bargain, I'm sorry and I'll practice up for next time! Promise!!

Rich R and Cathy are going to have to confirm first and second in the tourny. It was a playoff and I'm just too tired to remember who won. Sorry.

Barbara~~~a million thanks to Rich R and Mrs Rich R!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Frank_Glenn
09-12-2004, 03:23 PM
You can blame the printer problem on me, Red Hell had nothing to do with it. I had a ball and enjoyed meeting all of you. I hope I can come back and do it again next year.

Barbara
09-12-2004, 03:54 PM
Frank,

It wasn't RedHell's problem at all!! I call it, "Ghosts in the machine"!! We should;ve sacrificed a goat and offered its entrails on the keyboard at moonlight!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It was a pleasure to meet and play with you. I hope your knees have recovered from carrying me in our match!!

Barbara

pooltchr
09-12-2004, 04:22 PM
You are so right, Barbara! We all owe Rich and Cathy a giant THANK YOU for all they did for the tournement. They both deserve the biggest award of the event!
Steve

Barbara
09-12-2004, 04:37 PM
That's right!!!

JMD in VA finshied first in a playoff over pooltchr!!!

Yeah, well next year for ALL OF US!!!

Barbara

cueball1950
09-12-2004, 04:45 PM
What can i add. Barbara, you are without a doubt one of the nicest people i have ever had the pleasure of meeting. See you next month,,hopefully. And my beautiful wife who allowed me to go said thank you for the nuts. She loves them.,,....What a great trip. Lots of action both at the tournament and the pool room.
To Harold Acosta..VIVA PUERTO RICO.. Have a safe trip home my new friend. The pleasure of meeting you was all mine. Hopefully we can see you again next year. Enjoy.
Kato,,Always a pleasure my friend and you,, please have a safe trip home. looks like Ivan the terrible is heading a little more west away from Fla.
To Wendy...as usual..you da bomb baby. Poppa Murph told me to tell you to keep the twins and the tiger safe..Was a pleasure seeing you and your boyfriend again.....
JMD in Va: sorry i won what you wanted but i am going to put it to good use you can be guaranteed of that. Always gracious and well dressed. When i move to Va i will have to play in your tournament for sure.
To Chris Cass;; Your the good friend any person could ever want. Enjoy the clock. your watch came yesterday. And thank you for the surprise at dinner. I was glad to see grady as we did talk and straighten some things out.
To Red Hell And wife. I never did find out her first name. You are 1 lucky man. You have a beautiful wife and such a sweet personality and smile for everybody. But i agree with Barbara on your driving.....LOL...keep the screen name.
To the best MARRIED couple there. Rich and Cathy Rhoades. What a wonderful job you both did for everybody. All i can add to what Barbara has already said is thank you for being so understanding about my not feeling well and for being there for all of us. Because without both of you. it definately would have been alot harder. And i am already lining up more prizes for next year...lol
To SPETTY... thats right don't call her nothing but SPETTY. Not Sue or MRS PETTY....SPETTY. What a fun person. I forgot to give you the other 2 bottles of T. Always a smile and a laugh. Thank you for the 3 cushion tape. it is great and thank you for the POPS also. Hopefully you can come see us again next year. have a safe trip home my new friend.
To Ras...what can i say. such a quiet person with such a great personality. You drive safe and keep the faith. Come se us again next year...
To Mike Ponozzo: such a nice person. Thank you for the drink at dinner and thank you also for all the great donations you gave to our prize fund. More on another thread.
The fla contigent with Kato....Great seeing you guys again....always a blast with you guys there. and thanks for filling in for us. always a pleasure.
Frank Glenn...such a nice man...quiet also and soft spoken.
to pooldaddy9...thank you for donating such a great gift. i will treasure it.
To Sac town Tom/Tom in cincy.....the best,,,always a pleasure to see your smiling face. cannot wait until next year. btw...tell Ian i said hi when you get home.
Wally....What a tall drink of water you are. But a gentle giant. Our meeting was what i expected. wish i could have gotten that straight pool game in. Hope you enjoy the joint protectors. you have a safe drive home my new found friend.
To eric....drive safe and get there safely. was a pleasure talking with you again and hope to see you next year.
to Wes K...what a nice person and so quiet also. great also seeing you again. To Barry Behrman....Thank you for putting up with us again this year and for letting us use your room. you know we will be back next year even stronger.
To Terri Berhman at the YUKON..thanks for putting up with all of us and for making us all feel so welcome and comfortable. and yes i found my glasses. in the parking lot at 3 am.
To Sally from Inside Pool magazine. Thanks to you and JR for all the laughs and good time. Have a safe trip home and i hope you have a good vacation with Poppa Murph in hawaii....LOLLOL...you listening JR...hint hint.....lololol
I know i am forgetting some people, for that i am sorry.
I also want to thank everybody for putting up with me as i was a little under the weather this trip. Next year will be different i promise.
to all those that cannot come and be with us. Hopefully next year you can make it. it is definately worth the trip as everybody you will meet is such a great person. You will have a alot of fun and will have a great time as well. The tournament is great an alot of fun with alot of competition and whoofing with out being so serious.
to those who won the trophies. It was my pleasure and i hope you enjoy them.
JMD IN VA.....1st place Trophy and his surprise with it was a new uncirculated 2004 SILVER DOLLAR.. Keep it safe.
well i have rambled on long enough
to everybody..... Have a grat year and SEE ALL OF YOU NEXT YEAR AND HOPEFULLY SOME NEW FRIENDS AS WELL......mike

SPetty
09-12-2004, 07:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> ... <hr /></blockquote>Yeah, what he said! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

cueball1950
09-12-2004, 08:13 PM
"Yeah, what he said!"

SPETTY....a woman of few words...lollollol...YEAH RIGHT&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;mike

pooltchr
09-13-2004, 05:34 AM
Mike,
You summed it up very well. I don't think I can add anything to that list. Thanks for all your efforts!
What a GREAT time!!!!!!!!!
Steve

Barbara
09-13-2004, 06:54 AM
I think you covered just about everybody, Mike!!

I forgot to say how great it was finally meeting Harold Acosta and Tom in Cincy!! But also it was great to meet Ross, Brian in VA, JMD in VA, pooltchr, Jackpot George, RedHell (wife's name is Joy), Wally in Cincy, Ras314 (literally the grey beard in the black hat), Frank Glenn, and I'm probably forgetting someone or two.

But it was also great to see Eric., Kato, CC, and that garrulous chatterbox, WesK again!!

That tournament was a blast!! I can't believe we were shooting non-stop for 6 hours!! Was that fun or what! And I played bad enough to spread the pain with just about everyone!!

Barbara~~~recovering... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eric.
09-13-2004, 08:38 AM
I think everyone here said it best. I can't thank everyone enough that made this a great time. You know who you are.

Eric

Mr Ingrate
09-13-2004, 11:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> &lt;snip&gt;
First off, to Mr. Ingrate (Dave), thank you for letting us use your Fun Tournament software, it was TOO MUCH FUN!!! I got to play with just about 90% of the players, but we decided to go only 15 of the 20 rounds because we wanted to get back to watch the 7 pm matches. Thank you for letting us use your software program!! I highly recommend this format for fun events!!
&lt;snip&gt;
<hr /></blockquote>
Barbara,

I missed being there this year, but without a hurricane to fly into, there just wans't enough danger for me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Fun Tournament Director software is free to anyone who wishes to use it. I'm glad it worked for the CCB Tournament. (Not that I had any doubt.) Thank you for your very kind words.

I'll be on-site using my Pool Tournament Director software for two major events in October and November. Should be a blast.

Rich R.
09-13-2004, 01:27 PM
Lucy, I'm home /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif .................. from the U.S. Open and the CCB Tournament.

Barbara, thank you, and others for all of your kind words. We enjoyed working with everyone else to make the Third Annual CCB Tournament a fun time for everyone.
Cathy enjoyed running the computer program, to get us all pointed in the right direction. This makes it possible for all the CCB'ers to play, if they chose to do so.

BTW, Cathy has already volunteered for next year. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The official winners were:

1. JMD in VA.
2. Pooltchr
3. 9 Ball Girl

Although we also had prizes for the last three places, I will not divulge their names, to protect the innocent. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
As a former last place finisher, I hope they hold their heads high. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Many thanks go to all the people and companies, who provided our prizes. I don't have a complete list of the individuals, but most notable are CueBall1950, Pooldaddy9, SPetty, Barbara, Wendy and Carla.
The companies providing prizes were Billiards Digest, InsidePool, Talisman, Stroke Trainer, The Billiards Workbook, Scott Lee and Randy G's Cue Tech.

I am working from memory, which we know is bad, so, if I have forgotten anyone, I am sorry.

Dave's program worked like a charm, as expected. Thanks to my super organized wife, the printer problem did not hold us up, too much, as she was prepared for any type of a problem.

After all, what would a meeting of computer people be, without a glitch? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

We also want to thank Barry B. This is the third year he has provided the use of his room, at no cost.
Barry also acknowledged the CCB in the official U.S. Open program, as well as in his remarks before the finals.
Barry is the best. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barry and Brady were also happy to wear the CCB pins, I presented to them, on behalf of all CCB'ers. They wore them proudly. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Most of all, Cathy and I would like to thank all of those who attended, and participated in, the CCB tournament. Without everyone's cooperation, this event would not happen. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
09-13-2004, 01:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>
BTW, Cathy has already volunteered for next year. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

Wow!! Is Cathy a sucker for punishment or what!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks again, you two. Cathy's getting a Girl Scout badge for Being Prepared!!

Barbara

JMD in VA
09-13-2004, 02:28 PM
Hello All! I also would like to extend my gratitude for all who participated in the tournament! I had a great time. We all did. To all of my friends in the CCB tourney, my best wishes to all. Be safe through the next year and I can't to see you at the 30th Open. To the other 6 of the "Magnificent 7" (you know who you are) if I had to lose some dollars to someone, it might as well have been you guys.
To my good buddy CC, come on down to VA and bring the family, I have some kids in Richmond that would love to play Christ. To Prof Plum, you da man! To Eric, thanks for the tape, enjoy yours. To our Tourney directors, come on down to VA in July and I will have some more good pool for you to see before the Open. You can sit and watch this time and not have to worry about a thing. Well, I'm outa time. I had a great time and am counting down the days until next year's Open. Take Care Everyone!

JMD in VA
Countin down until we crown another CCB Champion at The US Open

Ross
09-13-2004, 03:07 PM
Those of you who didn't make it to the Open and the CCB tournament missed a hell of a good time. Playing and watching pool with a great group of guys and dolls, what more could you ask for? (well other than the Card Girl... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

I had fun with so many CCB'ers it is hard to pick names. I hung out with Eric (we roomed together and would talk until the wee hours and only about 1/2 of our conversations were about you know who), Spetty and Barbara (who were a blast and kept sending me out for more Tequila), Wally (we kicked butt as partners, showing that right and left CAN work together), Rich and Kathy (how can you not like those two - they worked their butts off for us running the tournament for us bums, yet wore a smile all of the time), Kato (always fun, tells a great story, but pal, you need to keep working on those listening skills after you've had a few /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Just kidding, my stories put everyone to sleep!), Wendy and her man (well 9-ball girl is always fun as most of you know, and this time she came as part of a happy couple), Phil from SoFla (a lot of fun to shoot with, wry sense of humor, but gotta slow down on the the chain smoking pal - just worried about your health!), Mike (cueball1950, man he BROUGHT the energy to the party), RedHell and Joy (the perfect picture of a happy pool-playing couple. And Joy has a perfect name since she was ALWAYS smiling), CC (unfortunately I never got to be his partner, but he took the time to show me how to execute a jump carom shot that he executed flawlessly when he was playing against me. I wish his family could have been with him there - I missed karatemom.), pooltchr Steve (we've known each other since we were at Randy's pool school together. GREAT guy, and even if he weren't, we NC'ers always stick together) and others like Tom-formerly-in-Cincy, Brian in VA, pooldaddy9, and ras314 who I had conversations with but didn't get to spend time with. I'm sure I'm forgetting others as well.

So we got to play a lot of great pool, meet a lot of great people, and the prize bounty was pretty stupendous. I personally won 25 Talisman tips, an Inside Pool subscription, two tapes of a 10 ball ring game, and I don't remember what all else. I think every CCB'er came home with a helluva stash of goodies.

Thanks to all who made this happen. Looking forward to the fourth annual CCB tournament already. And if you haven't been to one of these in the past - I suggest you put it on your calendar for next year!

Ross
09-13-2004, 03:25 PM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I also got to see some great US Open action, saw the greatest shot ever made in pool competition thanks to Corey Deuel, won $200 betting on Corey against Mika and Niels against Busta, and then another $100 when I bought a scratch-off lottery ticket for $5 on the way back to NC. Got a back rub and hand massage simultaneously by two lovely young lasses (yes, it was all legal) and bought a jump break cue with a phenolic tip for $60. What more can a man ask for from a weekend vacation! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nostroke
09-13-2004, 04:22 PM
Those babes couldn't give a decent massage if their life depended on it but still, I'd do it again in a minute!

Barbara
09-13-2004, 04:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I also got to see some great US Open action, saw the greatest shot ever made in pool competition thanks to Corey Deuel, won $200 betting on Corey against Mika and Niels against Busta, and then another $100 when I bought a scratch-off lottery ticket for $5 on the way back to NC. Got a back rub and hand massage simultaneously by two lovely young lasses (yes, it was all legal) and bought a jump break cue with a phenolic tip for $60. What more can a man ask for from a weekend vacation! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I have no idea.

But a CCB tourny partner could ask you to make a ball or two. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Barbara

Rod
09-13-2004, 04:37 PM
So, I take it everyone had fun! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
09-13-2004, 04:39 PM
Rod,

You're going to have to face the facts, you have to come out to the East Coast to the US Open to play and have fun!!!

Barbara~~~hopes to finally meet up with Rod /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RedHell
09-13-2004, 05:31 PM
Well, Joy and I would like to thanks everyone that came to the open. We all enjoyed meeting you guys. The tournement was fun, even if I finnished tied for last. I will have to practice a lot not to do the same next year, if budget allowed, you all know that a trip like this cost about 20,000$ canadian... lol.

I won't name you all, but I wan to extend a special thanks to Cathy and Rich. You guys did a great job at the tourney, specialy that the darn printer wouldn't cooperate.

Also, I would like to tilt my hat to CC. You da man, I enjoyed that one pocket can of whoopass you open on me. Man, it was an honnor to meet you !

As an update, because the weather is turning bad here in VA, Joy and I decided to make our way to Altantic City for 3 days. That will let us do some stuff because in Virginia beach when it rains, there ain't much to do !

Will be leaving the Holiday Inn tomorow morning and we'll be arriving in AC around 2pm. We have plan for the Ripley's museum and the amusement park there. Of course there will be a couple of runs at the casinos !!!

Thanks again to all for the great time.

dg-in-centralpa
09-13-2004, 06:11 PM
Damn I'm jealous of you people. Time, money, and work just didn't allow me to play. Hopefully next year. I'll more than likely end up in last place.

DG

Ross
09-13-2004, 07:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> Those babes couldn't give a decent massage if their life depended on it but still, I'd do it again in a minute! <hr /></blockquote>

So true, Nostroke. They were pretty bad at their trade. But being young, sweet, and cute helped, I guess. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Ross
09-13-2004, 07:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I also got to see some great US Open action, saw the greatest shot ever made in pool competition thanks to Corey Deuel, won $200 betting on Corey against Mika and Niels against Busta, and then another $100 when I bought a scratch-off lottery ticket for $5 on the way back to NC. Got a back rub and hand massage simultaneously by two lovely young lasses (yes, it was all legal) and bought a jump break cue with a phenolic tip for $60. What more can a man ask for from a weekend vacation! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I have no idea.

But a CCB tourny partner could ask you to make a ball or two. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Barbara, Barbara, Barbara... Can't let it go, can you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gifBesides I made a lot of balls, it was just the little old 8 that was the problem! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif And who, having the whole table to leave the cb, overshot her position and left me with an off-angle bank on the 9? Huh? Huh? Huh? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ross ~ still kicking himself for missing that 8

Harold Acosta
09-13-2004, 08:33 PM
Hello everyone....viva Puerto Ricooooo!

I had such a blast at that CCB Tournament! It was just so great to finally meet such a wonderful bunch of people! Viva all the CCB'errrsss!

What a great display of kindness, friendliness, and great human nature! Everyone was plain and simple all-around Champions!

There were so many great games, display of abilities, an array of great looking cues, all-around fun but most of all, such a Great Tournament!

I had so much fun at the CCB Tournament, I just wanted to keep playing! I had not done that in such a long time!. The playing format was superb! Everything was just perfect!

I sincerely hope to see everyone again in the near future and please keep in touch.

Harold ~ Proud Cheerleader of the Puerto Rican Contingent!

WesK
09-13-2004, 10:08 PM
Garrulous... nice word.

wes

CarolNYC
09-14-2004, 02:33 AM
Wow-what great stories! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Im so happy to see that everyone had a good time-this just shows what a class act the people are on this forum !!!!!

Carol~giving a standing ovation /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris Cass
09-14-2004, 02:41 AM
Hi Ross,

That was a lttle something I picked up while practicing one day. It's a deveation from the one where you jump the cb onto the ob and force it to jump another. Cool stuff. I just took it one step further. it's a definitely a low percentage shot but it does go sometimes when there's nothing else. I figured I'd post what it looks like so others may try it. When they have to.

START(
%A[7L1%BZ7K0%Cm9R1%DO5R9%Em2P8%FP4L0%GN9G6%Hj9P1%Il7H 9%Pe0Z8
%Y[4D3%Z[6K0%eC2b3%_]2M4%`a5Q4%ad4Z0
)END

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

The one ball stops as it contacts the 2 ball for a sec and being that the cb is airbourne it bounces up and back down striking the one ball after the two ball clears and goes in after the cb falls back on top of it. Tough to describe.

If you can keep the rock down on the table it's a great move. I find that I can jump on top of mostballs when I need to. That doesn't mean they have to go but it seems when you really need to you just do.

Take care,

C.C.

Barbara
09-14-2004, 06:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr>
Barbara, Barbara, Barbara... Can't let it go, can you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gifBesides I made a lot of balls, it was just the little old 8 that was the problem! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif And who, having the whole table to leave the cb, overshot her position and left me with an off-angle bank on the 9? Huh? Huh? Huh? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ross ~ still kicking himself for missing that 8 <hr /></blockquote>

Ross, Ross, Ross... I guess you left your best game with Wally... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Barbara~~~kicking herself for overshooting the 9...

Wally_in_Cincy
09-14-2004, 06:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Damn I'm jealous of you people. Time, money, and work just didn't allow me to play. Hopefully next year. I'll more than likely end up in last place.

DG <hr /></blockquote>

The problem is if you go once you will want to go every year, as I found out.

As far as the last place thing, the fun part of the format is that (IIRC) 3 of the best players in the field, JMD, Jackpot George, and RedHell, finished 1st, next to last, and last /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It's competetitive, but definitely all in fun

Ross
09-14-2004, 10:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Ross,

That was a lttle something I picked up while practicing one day. It's a deveation from the one where you jump the cb onto the ob and force it to jump another. Cool stuff. I just took it one step further. it's a definitely a low percentage shot but it does go sometimes when there's nothing else. I figured I'd post what it looks like so others may try it. When they have to.

START(
%A[7L1%BZ7K0%Cm9R1%DO5R9%Em2P8%FP4L0%GN9G6%Hj9P1%Il7H 9%Pe0Z8
%Y[4D3%Z[6K0%eC2b3%_]2M4%`a5Q4%ad4Z0
)END

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

The one ball stops as it contacts the 2 ball for a sec and being that the cb is airbourne it bounces up and back down striking the one ball after the two ball clears and goes in after the cb falls back on top of it. Tough to describe.

If you can keep the rock down on the table it's a great move. I find that I can jump on top of mostballs when I need to. That doesn't mean they have to go but it seems when you really need to you just do.

Take care,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, guys and gals, believe it or not the shot that CC diagrammed was his first shot against me and my partner, and he made it perfectly and ended up with position on the 2. Is that stronger than a garlic milkshake, or what!

Chris Cass
09-14-2004, 12:14 PM
Hi Ross,

The layout wasn't exactly the same balls but the 2 was where the 3 was located. That's why I used the low right english on the jump. I sure wish you could have got the shot down after we set it up a few times. I think doing it would help you grasp the speed and height of the jump a bit easier for the future. Just not enough time.

We did have some time as some games I played seemed to end much quicker than most. I do think they shouldn't allow the 9 on the break as a win though next yr. It seems that it would be much more fun to get a chance to shoot for all. A 2 game session is fast enough imho.

Regards,

C.C.

Ross
09-14-2004, 02:14 PM
I'll practice it Chris. It actually would be useful in a ring game where you can't shoot safeties, so you have to try whatever offensive weapon you have, even if it isn't a high percentage shot.

Rod
09-14-2004, 02:43 PM
Interesting shot CC. Somehow the first couple of times I'd probably come closer to landing on the one and have whitey go in the side. LOL I can see how it works though, amazing how we sometimes stumble on a new shot. Like someone said, maybe in a ring game unless you practice it enough to make it with some consistancy.

~~~rod, needs to practice making balls go in holes

phil in sofla
09-14-2004, 03:27 PM
Barbara, I may have been on some TEAMS that beat you and your partner late in the matches, but even if I was the one making the 9, it was made possible by the excellent shape my partner left me! (I think, anyway-- I don't remember any circus shots I pulled from my shorts all day!)

Barbara
09-14-2004, 03:37 PM
That's okay Phil, it was ALL GOOD!!!!

Barbara~~~next year, next year, next year...

SPetty
09-14-2004, 04:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> "Yeah, what he said!"

SPETTY....a woman of few words...lollollol...YEAH RIGHT&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;mike <hr /></blockquote>Since we’re having this little lovefest, might as well toss in my two cents (actually, it’s a lot more than two!):

First, I want permission to post pics! If you don’t want your pic posted, let me know. I promise I’ll edit out the naked parts before I post them! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif I don’t want to post all the pics, just a few…

The Venue:
I met Barry going up in the Holiday Inn elevator, and he was wearing his CCB pin. I pointed at it and said “Nice pin.” He reached out to shake and kiss my hand and expressed his appreciation for our group being there. After having met the man and seeing him in action, I can see now why everyone loves Barry so much. He does what he does very well.

The CCB was mentioned in his US Open official program, and we were also mentioned in his pre-finals speech. What a guy!

After having attended several pro events, the Number One thing done right at this one is assigned seats in the VIP section. The Number One thing done wrong is no women allowed to play in the event. They would have gotten a lot closer to a full field if they allowed women, AND there would be a lot more spectators and escorts accompanying the women to play. Escorts with money.

quote dg-in-centralpa: “Time, money, and work just didn't allow me to play.” Well, start saving your money and put in for the vacation time now. It’s worth it. When I got home, the question was put to me: So, was it worth the $1000 you spent? Yep.

quote Wally_In_Cincy: “The problem is if you go once you will want to go every year, as I found out.” That, my friend, is very true and is going to take a lifetime of financial planning to finagle it!

The CCB Dinner:
Red“BatOutOf”Hell – apparently didn’t realize he was the one that was leading the pack and showing us the way from the Holiday Inn to the Yukon Steak House! He’s the only one with the address, and the only one with the phone number, and the only one with GPS, and leading four or five cars and driving like a Bat Out Of Hell! Eric., apparently behaving like a normal New York driver, at the stop light, jumps out of the closest trailing car (that he was driving and doing a damn fine job of keeping up, by the way) and runs up to Red”BatOutOf”Hell’s vehicle pointing and hollering “pull over” which, based on the response he got, obviously means something like “Go Faster!” in Canadian-speak! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just to parrot everyone else, Mike Panozzo was a top notch guy. He stopped by to meet us in the lobby of the Holiday Inn before dinner, and I thought that was classy. Then, once we get to the restaurant, our wait staff announces that Mike was buying the first round! WooHoo! It’s party time! Thanks for recognizing us, Mike.

Terri Behrman was a perfect host. All the food was top notch, the discount was extremely generous, the service was fantastic and the top shelf margarita was yummy!

The CCB Tourney:
The CCB tourney happened so fast, I don’t even remember most of my matches or who I played with or against! I think there were several players I didn’t play with or against, and several I got to play with or against multiple times.

Although my breaking form is kinda abnormal, I can break well sometimes. It was oddly funny when I made a great break, pocketed 2-3 balls, parked the cue ball, shaped on the one ball, and my partner and opponents all said “Wow, what kind of break cue is that?” AHEM! Think it could be the cueist??!? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The chalk holders that Karla Chorney made and donated are really nice. I hope she lurks and can see my “Thanks” for doing that. I don’t even know if I have the name right, or who she knows here or how she got the holders to us, but I’m happy she did. I really like the one I won!

Thanks to all our professional sponsors: Talisman, Inside Pool, Billiards Digest, Billiards Workbook, The Stroke Trainer /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif, Barry Behrman, and all the others I may have failed to mention. If I failed, please someone fix it.

I won the Stroke Trainer and got a lesson on how to set it up and use it from Doug. He’s willing to cut out a “booby hole” for me if I can’t make it work right! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The CCB People:
I’m always afraid to call out names because there’s some people you’re going to miss, but there’s a few I’d like to mention:

Mr. and Mrs. Rich R.: I have to second the accolades for Mrs. Rich R.’s work at the CCB tournament. Cathy kept it going. If we had left it up to the pool players, we’d still be trying to figure it all out! Rich, always a pleasure.

Red”BatOutOf”Hell and Joy – what a joy they are! Great accents and always smiling! And they say the weirdest things about potatoes!

”Mean” Gene – funny. What do you call a deer with no eyes? “No idear”. What do you call a deer with no eyes and no legs? “Still no idear”. What do you call a deer with no eyes and no legs and that doesn’t have sex? … I seemingly impressed him that I knew the answer to that last one!

Barbara: Thanks for putting up with me as a roommate, and many thanks for your generosity in buying our table’s dinner. Not to mention the Cabo Wabo, so I won’t. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cueball1950: The epitomy of “party man”. Always with the stories and jokes, and generous beyond all belief. Thanks for introducing me to Papa Smurf – what a guy. He sure rubbed me the right way! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif And thanks for the T. cueball1950 came up to me and asked “Got a purse?” I normally don’t carry one, but happened to have one to carry my cell phone to get Barbara’s arrival call (which I missed because the phone was on “vibrate” so I wouldn’t disturb the players – a concept lost on so many spectators even thought there was a sign at the door that said “NO CELL PHONE RINGING!”, but I digress…) and cueball1950 said “Open it”, so, since I always do what he says, I did. He emptied his pockets of several little bottles of Cuervo Gold tequila into my purse! I made sure to carry my purse the next day and the same thing happened again! Cool guy, that cueball1950! Barbara and I used those little bottles all weekend long – refilling them as needed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Mike, feel free to save those leftovers for next year!

Harold Acosta is such a sweetie, and a great accent. For some reason that Puerto Rican accent surprised me a little. He was sweating the matches of at least half a dozen Puerto Rican players, so was busy most of the time. He looked just like a proud daddy when speaking of his players and who was still in. I think he had fun.

9 Ball Girl: Speaking of accents – she’s got quite the New Yorker accent. But, here’s what’s funny: 9 Ball Girl asked me “Why don’t you sound like Dolly Parton?” hahaha! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Um, because I’m not from Tennessee? What a sweetie she is. Thanks again for all you do and all you did. I’ve got a picture of you and a Fr-ooze Pop getting awfully friendly!

Jackpot_George: Now there’s a different accent. Part American yankee, part Columbian and part French… Nice guy and swell pool player.

Tom_In_Cincy: Definitely the top trophy winner for “Best Hug”. (Don’t worry, I paid off Barbara to not tell anyone!) I wish you could have seen the look on Barbara’s face when you came up to say “Hi” to her the first time. Definitely classic! For those that missed it, Barbara somehow didn’t know what Tom looked like, and when Tom came up behind/beside her and put his arms around her shoulders, she was kinda freaking out that a “stranger” would be doing that. She didn’t know what to make of it! Way too funny! Of course, that’s kinda how Wally felt when I went up and hugged him at the restaurant!

Kato: So if we’re talking trophy winners, Kato has to win it for best kisser. He’s such a sweetie, and stole a kiss on the cheek off of me! BTW – I couldn’t find that thing at the Best Buy web site…

Wally_in_Cincy: Yep, a gentle giant. However, you’re going to have to quit all that non-stop chatter. Geez, couldn’t get a word in edge-wise when Wally was around! Waiting for our plane at the airport, Tom_In_Cincy mentioned “I heard you and Wally matched up yesterday”! hahaha Yeah, right. Wally trounced me in a friendly little match at Q-Masters Sunday morning. It would have been different if we had been playing for money, but hey, for funsies, I’ll leave the man’s ego intact!

Eric.: Glad to see you again. I can’t believe it’s been so long. You haven’t aged a bit! Such a funny, funny sense of humor. I’m just sorry you left so early. I was looking forward to sitting with you for the finals again! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif (Even though you didn’t have a VIP pass again! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

WesK: Yeah, what a chatterbox! Interesting how someone so quiet can be so friendly all at the same time!

pooldaddy9 and his friend (and our CCB tourney alternate) Art: The epitome of southern gentlemanness. Loved Art’s accent! Pooldaddy9 made and donated the great ball holder prize that was won by cueball1950. I still want to know what you’d charge me for a 16 ball holder!

Ross: Thanks for the tequila and beer. I fully intended to return the favor, but you left! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif The picture of you and Wally and Eric turned out great, and if there are no objections, I’ll be posting that soon. I’m unhappy that we didn’t have more time together. I thought you were just making up a euphemistic story when you said you were leaving to go “get a massage”!

phil in sofla: What a cutie! Smart, personable, friendly, happy.

Chris Cass: I can’t add to what everyone else always says: You da man! I hope you enjoyed your time in Chesapeake. Thanks for Part I of the jumping lesson. I’m glad you found that moment and got me going. I got air three times in a row. I’ve never done that. A little more practice and maybe I’ll get the hang of it. Or, more likely, I’ll need Part II of that lesson next time!

Brian in VA: Wow. Sorry to put you on the spot here, my friend, but you get the trophy for being by far the best looking man in the place. Especially after you put on that stylin’ new pool tie!

And all the others, who I didn’t have much time to chat with: JMD in VA, pooltchr, Bobby, Frank (not to be confused with), Frank_Glenn. All of these men seemed to be really nice people. And they were all with such nice people that surely they are nice people themselves.

Nostroke – what a pleasure. Didn’t make it to the CCB tourney, but was there sweating the tournament matches.

Vicki – delightful. We had a nice but short chat.

Sally - from Inside Pool - Sorry you were the one to catch Earl’s ire this time. If I hadn’t had to take off to the CCB dinner, I would have been there for you too. Earl’s truly an idiot and I will go out of my way to miss any match he’s in (unless he’s playing a favorite of mine, like Bobby Pickle.).

Brady – way too busy working to play and have fun.

Folks who were signed up but turned to “No Shows”:
12.JayCee: Where the hell were you, man? I looked all over for you. I was looking forward to playing you some. I thought I saw you once, but you would have had to put on more than 50 pounds for that to have been you…

18.Ken: Where the hell were you, man? I looked all over for you. I’m not the only one that missed you and was looking for you. Hope everything’s O.K.

19.PoolPlayer1988

21.Gayle in MD: Where the hell were you, girl? I was so looking forward to meeting you this year. Hope you didn’t forget about us!

24.PQQLK9: Where the hell were you, man? I looked all over for you. Of course, it would have helped if we’d met before! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Sorry you couldn’t make it.

25.DEADSTROKE32

Okay, I win the trophy for longest CCB post ever. Sorry about that. Did you prefer the short version?

Tom_In_Cincy
09-14-2004, 05:07 PM
"Did you prefer the short version?"
To quote the longest WesK reply....

"Yep" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
09-14-2004, 06:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>
Okay, I win the trophy for longest CCB post ever. Sorry about that. Did you prefer the short version?
<hr /></blockquote>

Absolutely I enjoyed the LONG VERSION!!!

Spetty, this what I loved finding out about you the most. You take your time to figure things out and put your thoughts to it. Too many of us just don't go through the time and the trouble to figure out stuff or really think about what we want to say and how it should be said. You do.

Thank you!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Barbara

BTW, the roses we females received from Brady at the night events - I took my 3 roses home and had to "re-shock" them as they were deprived of water when I got them... they've bloomed beautifully since!!

SPetty
09-14-2004, 07:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> "Did you prefer the short version?"
"Yep" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif<hr /></blockquote>BWAAHAAHAHAHA! Sorry. BTW - I meant to mention - the next time you have a stopover in DFW, make it for a day or two. I'll come get you and bring you out to PettyPoint for some pool!

BUT... I missed a special thanks to ras314. I guess just because we're "old friends" that I missed him in the post above. If it wasn't for ras314, I probably wouldn't have been able to bring all the prizes I did, and I definitely wouldn't have been able to bring Barbara's Harry Potter Nimbus 2000 broom. Thanks, ras, for your generous offer to carry stuff for me. I really appreciate it.

Barbara
09-14-2004, 07:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>
BUT... I missed a special thanks to ras314. I guess just because we're "old friends" that I missed him in the post above. If it wasn't for ras314, I probably wouldn't have been able to bring all the prizes I did, and I definitely wouldn't have been able to bring Barbara's Harry Potter Nimbus 2000 broom. Thanks, ras, for your generous offer to carry stuff for me. I really appreciate it.

<hr /></blockquote>
Spetty,

You know I want to say something - it rhymes with "Witch" but begins with a "B", but I have to keep it clean on this board...

LOL!!

Barbara~~~is SPetty trying to tell me something...??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Brian in VA
09-15-2004, 05:17 AM
SPetty writes:
&lt;Brian in VA: Wow. Sorry to put you on the spot here, my friend, but you get the trophy for being by far the best looking man in the place. Especially after you put on that stylin’ new pool tie!&gt;

Not everyone can pull off that look. On the best looking man comment - have you thought about Lasik? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Loved your post Darlin'! Great to meet you and look forward to future match ups! Can't wait to see pics!

Brian in VA - thinks SPetty is a sucker for grey beards.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-15-2004, 05:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

....Wally trounced me in a friendly little match at Q-Masters Sunday morning.

<font color="blue">Yeah, right! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I usually don't mind playing pool in the morning but I had a few cobwebs Sunday. Once I got them swept out I started to catch a gear and when I finally got 1 game ahead of SPetty she looks at her watch and says "Oh dear, look, it's time to head back to the Center" LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif </font color>

It would have been different if we had been playing for money, but hey, for funsies, I’ll leave the man’s ego intact!

<font color="blue">I have no ego when it comes to pool. You win some, you lose some. You just gotta say WTF /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Thanks for the post. I agree with everything you said. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

SPetty
09-15-2004, 09:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brian in VA:</font><hr> Can't wait to see pics! <hr /></blockquote>Here's that pic of you and that new tie /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif :

http://www.pettypoint.com/USOpenPics/Brian.jpg

9 Ball Girl
09-15-2004, 09:13 AM
You know, that really is a nice looking guy, er tie. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brian in VA
09-15-2004, 09:45 AM
LMAO! If only you hadn't goosed me just before this picture was taken!

Brian in VA

Kato
09-15-2004, 09:50 AM
Thanks SPetty, I was gonna do one of those but I always get a phone call the next day, "Why did you leave me out of your post?" This way I don't get in trouble /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~thought SPetty quite swell

Wally_in_Cincy
09-15-2004, 10:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Thanks SPetty, I was gonna do one of those but I always get a phone call the next day, "Why did you leave me out of your post?" This way I don't get in trouble /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~thought SPetty quite swell <hr /></blockquote>

Kato, ironically I got a boo-hoo once from SPetty for leaving her out of a post like that /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally &lt;~~ thinks SPetty is quite swell as well

pooltchr
09-15-2004, 10:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> First, I want permission to post pics! If you don’t want your pic posted, let me know. I promise I’ll edit out the naked parts before I post them! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif I don’t want to post all the pics, just a few… <hr /></blockquote>

SPetty, If I didn't break your camera, I guess it's safe to post them up. I'm getting too old to try to keep a low profile anyway. With my game, I don't think I'll be worried about trying to get a $$ match-up any time soon!

Enjoy your Stroke Trainer!
Steve

SPetty
09-15-2004, 10:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> If I didn't break your camera, I guess it's safe to post them up. <hr /></blockquote>Here ya go, two pretty birds with one stone! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif :

http://www.pettypoint.com/USOpenPics/KatoPooltchr.jpg