PDA

View Full Version : glue for tips...

tito
09-13-2004, 10:44 AM
Hello to everyone.-

I would like to know whatīs the best glue for cue tips.

Some peoples who use super glue etc..., told me that super glue etc...crystallize and that not good.

I usually use cerocite buffalo and now tweteens.

I would like to know if you use another one which works for you, thanks for alls, see u,tt.

Troy
09-13-2004, 11:29 AM
I use either Loctite Gel (Quicktite or 454) or Duro Gel. Both are made by Loctite.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tito:</font><hr> Hello to everyone.-

I would like to know whatīs the best glue for cue tips.

Some peoples who use super glue etc..., told me that super glue etc...crystallize and that not good.

I usually use cerocite buffalo and now tweteens.

I would like to know if you use another one which works for you, thanks for alls, see u,tt.
<hr /></blockquote>

Leviathan
09-13-2004, 11:30 AM
Hello, Tito:

Several people who post here use Loctite (Duro) Quick Gel. I use it with excellent results. It's easy to work with and forms a very strong, reliable bond. It should be stored in a cool place.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/detail.asp?catid=15&amp;subid=34&amp;plid=196

AS

Chris Cass
09-13-2004, 11:51 AM
Luctite Gel for the actual glueing. For the sides I use super glue liquid. I then sand lightly and burnish to a high gloss. The down or up side depending of what your using for a tip and what you want out of it is that it makes the tip play harder. imho

C.C.

stickman
09-13-2004, 12:07 PM
I use the Loctite brand QuickTite gel. It works very well for me. The Loctite brand 454 is also highly recommended, but isn't as easily available. 454 is usually available in industrial supply houses, while the QuickTite is often found in hardware stores.

SpiderMan
09-13-2004, 03:18 PM
For most applications I use Duro Quick Gel. It's available at Wal-Mart on a card of two tubes for about $1.50.

For years I resisted the switch to "super-glues", using only epoxy, because of the number of worn tips I encountered where the "super-glue" joint had partially failed. I'm now convinced that the problems I've seen are mostly due to poor application technique by the tip men.

To minimize possibility of failure, you need to do several things correctly. Apply glue to one surface only, and make sure it's the leather tip, NOT the ferrule. Use enough, and spread it all around, such that the leather is "wet" all over before pressing the joint together. You should get some squeeze-out all around the joint. Not spreading the glue, or putting it on the ferrule instead of the tip, greatly increases the chance of a "dry spot".

Another thing to remember is this stuff dries only by solvent evaporation. If you are attaching a well-sanded leather tip, drying occurs rapidly because the solvent can escape into the porous leather. But, if you're putting on something like a phenolic break tip, the evaporation path is mostly through the microscopic gap around the joint. And, after the outer edge of the glue hardens, the inside stuff is sort of "back in a tube", ie air doesn't reach it.

I once put on a phenolic tip using Duro Gel, then deliberately popped it off with pliers several minutes later. The glue was only dry around the outside edges, still wet and tacky in the center. For that reason, I only do the impervious tips with two-part epoxy. Sid V can attest to the success and durability of that joinery.

SpiderMan

Rod
09-13-2004, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But, if you're putting on something like a phenolic break tip, the evaporation path is mostly through the microscopic gap around the joint. And, after the outer edge of the glue hardens, the inside stuff is sort of "back in a tube", ie air doesn't reach it.
<hr /></blockquote>

Yep, that's what happens and it's not always just phenolic tips. Sometimes even regular tips take a bit longer but not like phenolic of course. Drill a small vent hole in the center of the tip. LOL Actually you probably could and it wouldn't hurt anything.

Rod

tito
09-14-2004, 12:02 PM
Thanks Troy, leviathan ( really good the link), chris cass, stickman, spiderman and rod, I must to say really thanks for answers so fast.

Today I buy 5 different glues, but now Iīm going to find the loctite gel quicktite, one of the glues that I buy today calls loctite 401, and Iīm still donīt know if that work, well thanks again itīs always a pleasure write here, I always find good persons who help me,tt.