PDA

View Full Version : PC Gurus, Maxtor 120G Cyl, LZ, Etc Settings?

Sid_Vicious
09-13-2004, 11:58 AM
I have a new 120G Maxtor, and decided to do a fresh install of XP, but XP isn't the bottleneck, the dang thing simply balks during the boot like the blank drive is halting it. Where can I get the firmware info on these modern day drives so I can force it into a User state during my setup?

Facts are I have a 1998 firmware, am running a 500Mhz PIII. AND INPORTANT TO MENTION, the simple procedure of installing the XP disk and sinking the boot to the CDROM drive first in the setup simply does not work. I'd really like to get the firmware info to plug directly into my bios, but these new drives do not apparently stamp that info onto the physical drive anymore.

Thanks,
Sid

Leviathan
09-13-2004, 12:05 PM
Uh, try a little inside english?

AS

yegon
09-13-2004, 01:10 PM
most BIOSes have an autodetect feature that works. If it works sometimes and othertimes does not, try to check the bios settings after the disk is detected correctly, on most systems you will see the autodetected parameters and you can write them down and input them manually later to avoid further autodetection problems

if this does not help go to the www.maxtor.com (http://www.maxtor.com) site, click on the worldwide support link and you should find software downloads there. You can download diagnostic software there that will read the parameters from your disc controller.

Sid_Vicious
09-13-2004, 01:30 PM
Thanks. I had some on phone line help from a friend, went to extracting the box to the pool table for surgery(reconfig'n the IDE cables) and if nothing else could go wrong, the pwr supply failed when plugged back in for the test run. My patience factor says "Screw self PC work!" buy a running retail system, but I will replace the supply just to be stubborn.

I will try the diagnostics download, but I am not too clear as to how it will diagnose anything if it won't boot at all. The system is stuck in sub-1st-gear if you know what I mean /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif sid

Sid_Vicious
09-13-2004, 01:32 PM
I'm THAT close to banking that SOB into the corner dumpster! sid

yegon
09-13-2004, 03:07 PM
I know what you mean /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've been selling self made computers for 7 years untill I got fed up with having to repair damage done by repairing something else in the first place.

But since then I found out that retail boxes are the sume, you just have to wait longer till the supplier repairs what they broke repairing it (if of course you get lucky and that very special screw that is needed and without that the computer will not work gets shipped from taiwan in time for christmas).

Now to the actual problem:
I am not sure I remember it right but I think the software is meant to create a bootable floppy disc (you will have tu run it on a working computer to produce the disc)

then you simply put it in into the drive of a computer that does not have a system installed, the computer boots from the floppy and automatically starts the diagnostic tools.

I have done this quite regularly but it was years back and perhaps another software vendor, but all these programs should work similarly

Jay M
09-13-2004, 05:49 PM
did the drive come with a controller card? You can't just plug the new drives into a PIII mainboard. If it didn't come with one you'll need to go buy one. PIII boards had a slower bus speed than today's 133 ATA drives. If you are trying to plug it into the IDE slot on the mainboard, the drive will never be recognized even if you do get the system to fire up.

Jay M

Sid_Vicious
09-14-2004, 06:18 AM
Funny this is, I installed a 30G drive last year in this box and it is a ATA 133 bus speed drive, it's been working from the first install into the primary IDE socket, configured itself with the Maxtor utilities outta the box. Now maybe a 12Gig capacity might muddy the water, I dunno???sid

yegon
09-14-2004, 07:43 AM
if you really have that old of a machine that does not support bigger drives (depends on BIOS) then the only way to go is the software downloaded from the manufacturer's site

it will allow you to use the whole capacity through a software trick, but you have to install it first

highsea
09-14-2004, 10:00 AM
The ATA 133 should be backwards compatible to the 100mhz bus speed of your P3.

You need to flash the MB BIOS for the drive to be recognized. Common problem. Just go the the MB Mfg.'s website and download the flash utility and an updated BIOS for large disk support. You will need to do the upgrade from a Floppy disk. It's a waste of time to try to manually set the parameters if the BIOS does not have large disk support-the parameters will not go that high anyway.

If you can't flash the BIOS, you will need to use the Maxtor software to write a DDO into the boot sector. Beware, once you do this, you can no longer use FDISK /MBR to rewrite the boot sector, so turn off boot sector scanning in your anti-virus software.

The best solution is to flash the MB BIOS (or add a separate controller), and don't mess with drive overlays.

-CM

Sid_Vicious
09-14-2004, 10:16 AM
Sort of a chicken and the egg thing, my need is to do a fresh, whiz-bang install of XP using the CDROM to do all of the handshaking(formatting of the new drive, etc.) and yet I also need to install something beforehand, so there goes the fresh install feature since to install, I'd have to have another system in place. Thanks, this thing gets wilder by the minute, but the first thing I am going to do is replace the Pwr Supply and see whether the IDE cable switching lets XP do it's thing even with the big drive. I guess worse case is that I reinstall the original Win98 onto the smaller drive originally in the box, and buy into newer, WORKING! equipment and slide the 120G into that as extra storage.

Sid