PDA

View Full Version : My Opponents/ Thoughts/ U.S.Open

Chris Cass
09-13-2004, 12:56 PM
Well,

Where to begin? I'll start with my first opponent. His name was Nathan Thomas unlike the wrong spelling on the AZ bracket. Typo and no disrespect I'm sure. Just wanted to give him some credit.

I was extremely nervous playing this yr. Unlike the first time. It was more a reality that the first. The first I was like out of it. Anyway Nathan, I felt so bad for this guy. He was actually more nervous than myself.

I couldn't control the sweat dripping from my palms and I never sweat. Nathan gave me every game, I swear. I felt so guilty I wanted to pump him up some but you know that I couldn't do that. Don't remember the score but to Natyhan, for your first time I think you at least walked away with what I did. You know what to expect the next time.

Niels Feijen, heck of a player. Doesn't miss much and made a ball everytime off the break but once. Got mad too for that. Still, can't help thinking that was totally off the wall. I did have him sweating for the first 3 games and then it all seemed to fall into place for him.

He had complete control after a 2 rack mistake gone good. It was history after that. He dominated and kicked my butt like a red haired redhell. lol I know I made him sweat though and that's cool. He took 1 min per shot the entire time. Ras314 timed him. lol Thta didn't phase me in the least though. He just plane wipped my a$$. 11-3

Bill Hondry, he was giving me everything I could ever want. He was also very nervous and I missed but he'd just give it right back. No matter what I did, it was right. At the last 3 games he missed a combo on the 9 and the 9 went cross corner and went in. The next he combo'd the 9 again on a cross side bank and just happened to hit the 9 in.

That match was messed up. We were forced to take a maditory break and then came back and put us on the shot clock. I thought, what's up with that? Anyway, he pretty much gave me that match. We went hill hill and Tom was almost forced to call a foul on me by 2 seconds. lol I knew I had time and didn't want to wait to call for an extention. I ran those last 3 balls tha5t were in the pockets so great that FL would be proud. hahaha

Finally Marty Ciccia. What can I say? He was the only class player I played. He was the only one to actually hand me the cb after scratching. I had been doing that to all my opponents but only he was respectful enough to do that for me.

I told Marty before the match that we had a mutual friend in the audiance, Barbara. I said she's worried about offending either one of us being she thought so much of both of us. He smiled and I told him that I told her to cheer for a good shot. No matter who makes it. Marty agreed.

Marty made mince meat out of me. His soft smooth stroke and odvious yrs of much talent showed as he continued to pound on me. It was more pleasure than playing with any of my other opponents. He's truely a class act from jump street.

There were so many upsets and great play this yr. Chris Loar comes to mind. He just did nothing wrong and had the best of JJ. What a match. I could feel the frustration JJ had when he finally did get to the table with nothing to look at. You know things happen and it didn't stop there for Chris. Another great shot.

My close friend Ty Wilson did very well this yr. He won against John Schmidt 11-5. John is a stone champion as you all know. I'm so proud to know Ty and so happy for him.

Another was my friend Larry Nevel. He's from Rockford I think at least that's where I knew he from. He shot lights out and I thought he'd be right up there too. He drilled the field and still, things happen. I look for him to do something big next yr.

Funny, playing lastnight with Ras at QMasters Larry had been playing next to us with Tang Hoa. Tang walked up and asked if I'd like to play some 9 ball. I told him I couldn't as I was there on a shoestring. He said, What? I told him I was broke and I'd love the chance to play with Tang Hoa. He than said back, I'm not Tang anymore, and jumped in and said, he's just a Hoa now. I laughed my a$$ off. I really like Larry. I thought that Vincent dude had told Larry a bunch of crap and as I passed Larry he yelled across the smoking area outside the con ctr Hi Chris. Made me feel good. He would have gotten the wrong impression if he listened to one word from that drip.

Never did get to talk to Gabe and congrat him. He's been a fav of mine for awhile. Good kid and takes time to talk with me before we started the event. Matter of fact many pros talked to me like I was part of their elite group. Guess, they all know how it is strugling.

Talked to Danny Kid the other day. He told me he was disapointed he couldn't play the ring game and they told him he shot too slow. I said, well Danny? You do take like 26 strokes a shot. LOL He laughed and I knew he felt bad about it. Who wouldn't? He's cool though and we made friends if only for one night.

Grady? Well, Grady does what he can to promote the sport and has many great ideas. So many turn it around as he does seem to bring out the worst in them. Oh well>

Regards,

C.C.~~pooped

Eric.
09-13-2004, 01:14 PM
Hey Chris,

It was good seeing you again, thanks for sharing your US Open experience. I enjoyed hanging with you and the others, it was a good weekend. One of these years, if I ever get my game sorted out, maybe I'll join ya and jump in the box. It sounds like you had fun.

Eric

woody_968
09-13-2004, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the post CC, always good to hear from you.

And thanks for letting me enjoy that "I have a friend playing in the Open" feeling /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Really made it more interesting for me this year. Just wish I could have been there to see you and all the others that went. I will be making a strong attempt at going next year to watch the great pool and meet all the people that make the CCB such a fun place to visit.

Barbara
09-13-2004, 02:12 PM
CC,

Glad to hear you had a good time at the Open and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Hopefull, the whole Cass family can make it next year. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara

tateuts
09-13-2004, 02:17 PM
Chris,

How did the tables play? Did it take you awhile to adjust to them? The TV table looked very fast and the balls were hanging up a lot. I noticed a lot players were going extra rails instead of using inside english. I saw the match on the BCN broadcast Larry lost to John Schmidt - once the match got going, John played really well and Larry didn't have very many chances.

Chris

woody_968
09-13-2004, 02:46 PM
Hey CC, I forgot to ask you how you liked the pokey-dot cue ball /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Did you notice any difference?

stickman
09-13-2004, 02:54 PM
Chris for the insights. I hope you had a great time. I'm hoping to see for myself next year.

Jim

RailbirdJAM
09-13-2004, 03:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>[snip]<hr /></blockquote>

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the Open, Chris. I, too, have some great memories.

One of my favorite memories at the Open was getting the opportunity to meet a pool player from Chicago during the wee hours of the morning, passing a little time while most were asleep. He's the player on the bottom left. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Open pics (http://www.hometown.aol.com/khmccready/2004USOPENPAGE2.html)

RailbirdJAM

Scott Lee
09-13-2004, 03:38 PM
Jenny...Nice pictures! Thanks for posting them! One minor error...Marco Marquez is from Chicago, not Texas! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com (http://www.poolknowledge.com)

RailbirdJAM
09-13-2004, 03:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Jenny...Nice pictures! Thanks for posting them! One minor error...Marco Marquez is from Chicago, not Texas! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the correction, Scott. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I got a bum steer from my room mate! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

RailbirdJAM

tateuts
09-13-2004, 04:54 PM
One more small thing - it's John Morton (instead of Norton)

PQQLK9
09-13-2004, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the memories Chris. I am so proud of you my friend.

Your dawg...

dg-in-centralpa
09-13-2004, 06:17 PM
Great post C.C. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Wish I could have been there in person to root for you.

DG

Rod
09-13-2004, 11:45 PM
Nice post CC, you went in a bit undecided but made the best of it considering all that's happened. The chips fell where they did and you just live with it. I happen to think you held up well although I know you wanted better. By the fourth round at any tourney things can heat up quick.

One thing for sure you'll have fond memories. I have them and may have more, who knows. Being nervous at a tourney is so natural but we have to learn how to direct that energy. You did a fine job. Wish I could be there sometime, untill then you hold the flag buddie, I'm just crusing along, and may never return.

Glad you had a great time.

Rod

Chris Cass
09-14-2004, 01:58 AM
That was too funny. I could read Keiths mind at the time. "Jen, do I have to?" lol I enjoyed our conversation and I find your a very respectful and thoughtful person. You undoubtable have helped Keith in many ways and I think you bring out the best in him. I do agree with keith though. They should just throw the names in a hat and draw. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~it was my pleasure meeting and finding time to get aquainted. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
09-14-2004, 02:22 AM
You did good,my friend!
You did good!
NEXT!!!!!!!!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

nhp
09-14-2004, 03:51 AM
Hey Chris, maybe all the pros talk to you like you're one of them because you ARE one of them. I've never seen you play, but many people say you play some great pool.

I am glad you had a great time at the Open.

It's funny you mention Tang, I hit balls with him a few weeks ago for about 5 hours right before he took a vacation. I would love to see him get back in stroke, I learned alot watching him play at this poolroom called Players in Van Nuys, Ca. That was the non-stop 24 hours ACTION room of the west coast, all the champions went there to gamble. It was actually watching Tang play about 8 years ago that sucked me into the game and made me want to play as good as all those guys. When I would walk into that room to watch the action, he would always say hello to me, instead of ignoring me like all of the other pro players I knew. He is a great guy once you get to know him

trailboss
09-14-2004, 06:03 AM
Hi Chris! Welcome back! You did fine and we are all proud of you. The competition that you faced was top level, I would not have been able to get out of my chair with these guys! Now, lets hear more stories...Yes!

Steve Lipsky
09-14-2004, 07:53 AM
Chris,

I know you were wishing for more, but you made all of us proud just the same. I just wish that you were either playing without a Sardo, or that you didn't run into Neils. Neils is one of the pros who is almost unbeatable with that rack. Makes a ball on virtually every break - in your writeup, you said he didn't make a ball on ONE break and got mad at himself. Without the Sardo, you would have had more of a fighting chance in the match.

And happy to hear you enjoyed your match with Marty. I played him once, about 5 years ago, and he seemed like a good guy. 'Course, he beat me too, so maybe he's only nice when he wins, lol (just kidding /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif).

I also liked your description of picking up the cueball for the opponent, and how so few do it. I knew you'd be one of those people that does it, Chris, and so am I /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Anyway, we could not have had a better representative than you for this board. (I know it's your tendency to turn this around and say that there are other, more deserving representatives, but there aren't. So just shut up and say "Thanks" lolol.)

- Steve

shoutout33
09-14-2004, 08:24 AM
Sup Chris! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Man it's good to see you had fun at the tourney. Like everyone else on the forums, I proud of you man! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I know one thing though, you had some people sweating at that tourney whether they were playing you are not.

When you go back next year, I'm sure you'll be more than ready to own those cats! As long as you had fun man, that's all I needed to know. Oh, by the way, did you use your Boti or your SW?

Chris Cass
09-14-2004, 10:00 AM
He was really nice and commented about how much he loved his new stroke when he missed. His laugh was so funny he would make you laugh. Him and Larry really had some fun practicing. I like the guy tons and I would of gambled with him too but I had only $6. at the time. lol I messed up writing when I posted and forgot to edit it correctly but it was Larry whop said, yeh but he's just a hoa now. Still can't believe he said it. Larry doesn't talk much but he's really pretty funny.

Larry's girl (I think?) was really nice too. She was so happy for Gabe ads I was too that he won. I accidently elbowed this small fella at the hall the same time. I turned and apologized as I thought I hurt him. It was Marcus Chamus(sp). He was ok. lol

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
09-14-2004, 10:09 AM
Thanks Steve,

Funny thing is I've yet to bring my game to the Open. I know know what it takes to do good there and I wish I could have had you near me. I was really in need of a positive force around me. Not that anyone wasn't there for me but you know the level of what's needed to win there more than most.

Grady was very supportive and I was glad he joined us for dinner. He came by during a match of mine and pumped me with just 3 small words. He watched me play at Q Masters when I finally did get into stroke. I think I messed up when I played one pocket before going into my last game with Marty. I seemed to just want to get the balls close to the hole instead of making the dang thing. I klnow better too. Marty did play well and deserved to win.

Thanks Steve, your the best. Still, haven't found out who put me in but I wish I knew.

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
09-14-2004, 10:16 AM
Oh Man,

I knew you were going to ask me that dude. I had the Boti all ready and put togather when I was playing. I wanted to show everyone I had it there for me when I needed it. I used the S.W. though. My hands were dripping and know I know why JJ had used so much powder and towel action. It was really humid for my body to adapt. The leather wrap on the boti was too much for me to handle.

I did have my shirts sleeve embroidered with the Szamboti cues on it for everyone to see. I didn't use my cool logo but I did use the logo name from Barry' business cards out of respect for him. By contract I used the Billiards Workbook embroidered logo on my left breast pocket and I did that on my own. They turned out great too.

I did get one mention for Boti cues and two for the Billiards Workbook over the mic. Seems Scott doesn't remember much unless you remind him on the mic. He did that with several players but it wasn't intentional.

Regards,

C.C.

cycopath
09-14-2004, 03:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Grady was very supportive and I was glad he joined us for dinner. He came by during a match of mine and pumped me with just 3 small words. <hr /></blockquote>

Ok, you've got me curious. What were those three words?

phil in sofla
09-14-2004, 03:31 PM
I haven't read the thread yet, so I don't know if it's been mentioned.

But Chris, and I don't know that you have heard this yet, either, Marty took Earl Strickland to the double hill before losing. Nice player.

Tom_In_Cincy
09-14-2004, 04:09 PM
Chris,

I thought you played pretty good 1Pkt against me. On that Diamond table in the tournament room at QMasters.

With Scott Frost on the table next to us, Jose Parica and a guppy on the other table next to us. Francisco Bustamante sitting and waiting for us to give up the table. Alex P. yelling to everyone that walked in, and, of course, the waitresses.

Aside from those distractions, you played great.

Chris Cass
09-15-2004, 05:48 AM
Didn't even think about them for a minute. I did have some jerk asking me why I was waiting and asked if I was playing 10 nocount. What an a$$. You don't know what it felt like being broke and wanting to make them put up or shut up. Tore me up the entire time I was playing the event. Never again as next time I will be ready.

Regards,

C.C.~~the waitress forgeting my coke, my napkins and I just felt invisable. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif The rest of the staff all the guys at the kitchen along with the waitress Cindy treated me with the utmost respect. There were a few times when I walked up and they said, "Hey Chris, still in the tourney? How ya doing buddy?" unreal they could remember me like I was a regular. hahhahaha I even got a free coffee although they did screw up my order and forgot me. lol they were all great. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SPetty
09-15-2004, 09:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> I did have my shirts sleeve embroidered with the Szamboti cues on it for everyone to see. I didn't use my cool logo but I did use the logo name from Barry' business cards out of respect for him. By contract I used the Billiards Workbook embroidered logo on my left breast pocket and I did that on my own. They turned out great too.<hr /></blockquote>You did a great job representing your sponsors. I wish now I had taken a better picture of your shirt. Here's one of you in one of your great shirts and Mike Panozzo at Q-Masters /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif :

http://www.pettypoint.com/USOpenPics/ChrisPanozzo.jpg

SPetty
09-15-2004, 10:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> I did have my shirts sleeve embroidered with the Szamboti cues on it for everyone to see. I didn't use my cool logo but I did use the logo name from Barry' business cards out of respect for him. By contract I used the Billiards Workbook embroidered logo on my left breast pocket and I did that on my own. They turned out great too.<hr /></blockquote>Here's a little better picture of your shirt. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif :

http://www.pettypoint.com/USOpenPics/cc.jpg

mr8ballme
09-15-2004, 10:46 AM
Hi everyone i am sorry i didn't get time to meet all of you but with with me working the booth and cleaning the tables it was an all day job. For the few of you i met you were verry nice and i hope someday i can meet the rest of the gang. For Chris and Susan your Stroketrainers went out Monday. I hope you enjoy it and it helps you in your game. Please keep me posted on how it does for you and if i can be of any help just give me a call. Thanks again to all it was nice meeting you. Doug /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
09-15-2004, 10:49 AM
Thanks Doug for the prizes.

It was my pleasure meeting you (again). Has it been 3 years since the DCC when you set up your booth next to Sherm?

Talk to you later

Chris Cass
09-15-2004, 11:06 AM
Wow,

Still hard to believe I look so old and sickly. I'm only 49 till november 17th and I look like death warmed over. Looks like I could never compete but I'll say one thing in my defense. I don't feel half that bad inside and although I lost 10 lbs while at the Open I'm gaining it back now.

I don't want the pitty parade passing me but if you feel the need? Then please do so in your own mind. Mainly because, I have plenty of punch left and one day you'll all see it. That's not heart either, that's fact.

Regards,

C.C.

Ross
09-15-2004, 11:12 AM
Oh Chris, pictures lie. Five minutes around you and your energy and you don't seem a day over 48! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
09-15-2004, 11:12 AM
Hi Doug,

I'm eager to receive my new Stroke Trainer. I think it should help me and I shall try to rent it out at the hall to help cover the costs. I do have one in line before you and that's a promise, I made to a dear friend in need. I would have been stuck still in VA if it wasn't for his help.

I also will give the Stroke Trainer my complete devotion and later post a full evaluation on your what I concider a brilliant product. Out of all the booth people I've met over the yrs. I think the most sincere and most dedicated person to selling a product they truely believe in, is you. You sir are a great friend and a good man.

Regards,

C.C.~~did I say, booth people? hahahha

tateuts
09-15-2004, 11:30 AM
Chris,

I wanted to ask, was it difficult to get used to the tables and the atmosphere? Were you more nervous than usual?

Did you ever find out who put up your entry fee?

Chris, the other