PDA

View Full Version : I have a question.Really.Pool related too.Honest

rackmup
05-14-2002, 07:32 AM
I take extreme care of my cue. I don't loan it to anyone. I don't throw it around. It has it's own room at the house. After playing, I wipe it down with a "micro-fiber" cloth to remove fingerprints from the butt and dirt/chalk/oils from the shaft. When needed, I clean the shaft with cue papers. The shafts are never sticky from dirt or sweat. I burnish the shafts with a smooth piece of leather. I clean the tips of all chalk before putting the shafts away into the case. My tips are never "mushroomed." I have joint protectors on all of my cues.

Knowing all of that...HOW IN THE HELL DO THE LITTLE BUMPS & NICKS GET INTO MY SHAFTS???

They're not big. Just the occasional little nick. I think little demon gremlins live inside my Instroke case (perhaps they came over with the case when it was shipped from wherever they are made to Hawley's in Dallas where I bought it.)

http://www.predatorcues.com/english/shaftwhite.jpg
(look...there's one RIGHT THERE!)http://www.webpromotion.com/anim/stock02/white/02_11_w.gif

Ideas O'Wise Ones?

Regards,

Ken

Rich R.
05-14-2002, 07:45 AM
Ken, do you lean you cue against some thing when you are racking? Just a thought.
Rich R.~~~assuming Ken racks once in a while.

Nostroke
05-14-2002, 07:46 AM
Do you sometimes sweep the balls to the rack or your hand with your cue? If so, there's the cause!

rackmup
05-14-2002, 08:00 AM
NoStroke & Rich R,

Yes, to both. I rarely "sweep" balls with the cue but I do lean it up against the rail while racking (more often than I like Rich!) I am gentle when I lean it though.

Regards,

Ken (the "Racking King" at Hawley's)

Tom_In_Cincy
05-14-2002, 08:06 AM
Finger Rings? any type of wrist jewlry?
Just guessing.

cheesemouse
05-14-2002, 08:37 AM
Rackm'up,
I think your growing new nerve endings in your bridge hand. If this is the case just put some lighter fluid on your fingers, light and then flap your hand around real fast till the fire goes out and then sand with 120 grit....repeat as necessary.

P.S. I'm a sorry mouse /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif in advance.

stickman
05-14-2002, 09:21 AM
If you don't take it with you when you go to the bathroom, I think the other players beat it against the side of the table. That's the only thing I can figure. I never rake the balls with my stick and lay the stick on the table when I rack. The only time my stick leaves my sight is when I go to the bathroom.

Stickman~~~~taking his stick to the bathroom from now on.

BillPorter
05-14-2002, 09:23 AM
Ken, with me, it is sometimes a light fixture. Or I should say the edge of the light fixture. Sometimes, in the heat of battle, I may brush the shaft against a low hanging light fixture and created a small ding. It doesn't take much.

05-14-2002, 09:24 AM
Where are the nicks? If they are about 8 inches from the tip, what kind of mechanical bridge do you use? Metal bridges in particular I find very cruel to your shaft, unless you are extremely careful in using them.

Regards,

Gideon

Rod
05-14-2002, 12:28 PM
I get them at times and it really ticks me off. Here is what I've found. Playing on bar tables, sometimes the cushion is not set at the rail height. This exposes the sharp edge of the rail. All the shaft has to do is "chatter" on a shot, and it will, then you get the ding. I've seen it on G crowns too. The next area is metal edges at the pockets, bar or big tables. GCIII really has a sharp points at the side pockets. The counter wheels on a GC are a pain also. The important thing to note, whether a sharp edge or rounded edge of metal, the shaft flexes a small amount and that can cause the small ding. As someone already mentioned a metal bridge head will ding the shaft if it's shot with any force, especially with low english because it traps the shaft for a moment. Then it chatters for a split second.

On another note, don't always assume the table is "right", table mechanics make mistakes to, and some are design flaws.

~~~ rod needs air bags on his shafts

Ralph S.
05-14-2002, 01:01 PM
Hey Ken, I just can't resist. Since you are a self proclaimed rack king, does this mean you're gonna be my rack boy at the CCB tourney at the U.S. Open?
Ralph S.

05-14-2002, 02:59 PM
All good points, Gentlemen,
I have one more log for the fire though. I spent a short amount of time babying my cue, and got dings anyway. I finally figured out that when I leaned it against the chair I was sitting in, I would sometimes lean into the cue, causing (you guessed it!) a ding. I have since learned not to be so neurotic about my stuff, but have a profound respect for those who take those extra steps. My one allowance to cue care now is that when I'm not shooting I lay my cue flat on an unused table in the area.

JimS
05-14-2002, 04:26 PM
I haven't gotten a ding since I spent $20, or however much it was, for one o'dem cue holders...a Rubber thingee that sits on the table and cradles the cue. I got mine from Frank's Center. They advertise in P&B...maybe in BD too.

05-14-2002, 07:44 PM
Possibly when you mark score beads on the wire.

Doctor_D
05-15-2002, 05:31 AM
Good morning Pookie:

Two things to remember. One; wood, like women, are soft and gentle. Take it easy on us and we will reward you in return. Two; now I know where all those unexplained bruises of mine use to come from.

/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Dr. D.

TomBrooklyn
05-15-2002, 12:12 PM
When the shaft is nice and smooth, one ding in the stroking area it is very distracting and annoying. I take the dings out every now and then, and before long another one shows up. I don't think fetching one ball with the cue stick if done gently puts a ding in it, or I would have lots of dings. I rarely rake a bunch of balls, and if I do, I do it very slowly. I think my cue dings come from the cue getting banging into the edge of the table every now and then or falling from some resting place.

I want to get one of those cue holders, but I haven't seen any for sale in the local PHs. I wish they would carry more pool accessories. I have put off buying one on-line until I need some more stuff because I hate to buy something for $10.00 and pay $8.95 for shipping.