PDA

View Full Version : Dead rail/bad pocket

recoveryjones
09-14-2004, 12:04 AM
In my local home pool hall we have four Dufferin Challengers( and 20 other tables) which are our four feature tables.Unfortunatley it seems that each table has at least one dead rail and one bad pocket.

I read from an earlier post today that a rail can be dead if it is set to high.It takes two bordering rails to form a corner pocket.Our very worst corner pocket in the whole pool hall seems to be the one beside our deadest rail.This is the pocket from hell as everything except for letter perfect shots seem to bounce out.It's even left our local pros shaking their heads.

Is the pocket bad because it's located beside a (high) dead rail and a (normal height) lively one?Will replacing the tables all with new rails remedy the bad pocket problems or can a rail that is set to high be lowered or re-adjusted somehow?Just kinda wondering as I've seen many a game lost to the pocket from hell..LOL.

ps. Our ( some consider cheap) owners have just bought 8 new sets of premiuim Aramith balls.Now if I could just talk our owners into buying a few Gold Crowns..LOL.. or at least replacing the rails.RJ

Rod
09-14-2004, 12:43 AM
rj, Owners get things so screwed up. LOL The first priority is the table, I mean that's what you play on. No matter how bad or good a ball is it won't correct a bad table condition.

First off do a cushion test around the table at intervals. Grab the cushion and try to move it up and down. If it's loose the glue is most likely broken loose but it could be loose bolts on a bar table. You'll know.

I said earlier to high and it pinches the ball, doesn't mean it's dead, just to high. When a rail is to low the ball can bounce espeially with speed. Get to understand what the table is telling you. I can't say what your problem is for sure but one bad rail no matter the problem makes you not want to play on that table.

If the room or tables are old enough it could be that several tables have problems. Some just show it more than others. A big factor in pool rooms is people sitting on tables. If the glue holding the cushion is old enough it can and does separate from the wood = dead cushion. There is a reason it's up to you guys to find the answer.

Feel/ see/ hear/ measure the difference between known good cushions and the problem cushions.

Rod

Bob_Jewett
09-14-2004, 09:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr>
Is the pocket bad because it's located beside a (high) dead rail and a (normal height) lively one? Will replacing the tables all with new rails remedy the bad pocket problems or can a rail that is set to high be lowered or re-adjusted somehow?<hr /></blockquote>
Unfortunately, the person to really answer your question is the mechanic who will fix the table. Rejects, as far as I can tell, are due to bad pocket facings. I doubt that the rail height has anything to do with rejects, unless the rail is really, really off. As for getting a different brand and hoping the problems will go away, if you have bad installation and bad maintenance, the brand won't help much. And around here, a very well-known brand is well known here for the cushions going dead in the first five to ten years. If you have a choice, ask for real gum rubber.

=k=
09-15-2004, 10:00 AM
just mumbleing, a couple of weeks ago i noticed a rail going dead on my home table. i got on here and did a search on dead rails and got a lot of good info. i called the place i bought my table from and they sent out a table mechanic and he checked out table and told me the rubber was getting hard, they sent out a crew and replaced rubber with k66, leveled table, and redid the seams. streched existing cloth, and now wow new table. now the rest of the story............ no charge /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif........the table was two years old, but i was told top end tables sometimes are in there showrooms quite a few years before being sold........

Scott Lee
09-15-2004, 11:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote =k=:</font><hr> now the rest of the story............ no charge /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif........ <hr /></blockquote>

=k=...Now THERE'S a company that I would do business with forever!...and recommend them to all my friends! Many would say, "Yeah, and want do you expect us to do about it?"...or at least, "Ummm, okay, that'll be $400 to do that work probably a low ballpark figure)!"

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com (http://www.poolknowledge.com)

Troy
09-15-2004, 11:13 AM
Customer Service !!! Yup, that's what you got, good customer service.

Troy

=k=
09-17-2004, 08:26 AM
Scott you are right and they deserve recogination and they are Buckhorn Billiards of Phoenix. now you know the rest of the story......... p.s. when are you going to be in the Phoenix area next...We have an extra room and needing a lesson also......... k