PDA

View Full Version : Googan alert!

Cueless Joey
09-14-2004, 10:10 AM
Gotta haves (http://seyberts.com/cues/mcdermott_cues/mcdermott_shafts/index.htm)

Barbara
09-14-2004, 10:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Gotta haves (http://seyberts.com/cues/mcdermott_cues/mcdermott_shafts/index.htm) <hr /></blockquote>

You have got to be kidding me!!

And you know what? There's just that Googan out there that will buy all 3.

Barbara~~~what will they think of next?

Wally_in_Cincy
09-14-2004, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Increased Action. Intimidator Shafts put more spin on the cue ball, which can account for up to triple the amount of backspin, and allow you to strike the perfect stop shot.
<hr /></blockquote>

Joseph,

Since I am known (to Kato) as <font color="green">"The Master of the McDermott" </font color>, I find this deeply disturbing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Pizza Bob
09-14-2004, 01:02 PM
Wait a minute...you mean that all I need to do, to become a world-beater, is buy these three super-dooper shafts??????? Sign me up and point me toward Efren. ROTFLMAO.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Chris Cass
09-14-2004, 01:06 PM
What a marketing ploy. Pure genius. They not only sold the taper but the tips as well.

Regards,

C.C.

pooltchr
09-14-2004, 01:36 PM
Does this mean I should be changing out my shaft for each shot????????????? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

cycopath
09-14-2004, 01:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Does this mean I should be changing out my shaft for each shot????????????? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I guess if that's the case, McDermott needs to change their standard joint to a Uni-Loc to quicken the shaft changing time between shots. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cueless Joey
09-14-2004, 05:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Gotta haves (http://seyberts.com/cues/mcdermott_cues/mcdermott_shafts/index.htm) <hr /></blockquote>

You have got to be kidding me!!

And you know what? There's just that Googan out there that will buy all 3.

Barbara~~~what will they think of next? <hr /></blockquote>
I am presently designing a 3 by NINE case. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Billy_Bob
09-15-2004, 09:20 AM
I've experimented with different hardnesses of tips and tip sizes. I'm glad to see that a cue manufacturer has also done so. Having these 3 shafts in a cue sales, billiard hall, or instructional setting would be great for those with about a year of serious pool playing under their belt to see the differences in play of the different shafts/tips. It would help a newer player to learn what tip/shaft size would be best for their game.

Steve_McDCue
09-17-2004, 01:19 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the posts on our new shafts.

Fact is, innovators like Bob Meucci and Predator have identified deflection problems with traditional solid wood shafts, and created successful products to reduce these problems. We have just taken the next step and developed a new shaft system to manage deflection. It really is an exciting time for you, the player. Due to increased competition, the options and the quality of products available (in this case high performance shafts) are going to skyrocket, with the pricing going down.

Regarding the I-Shafts and what they bring to the table: First off, yes, there are 3 different shafts and secondly, no, the novice player doesn’t have to have all three. Will each shaft actually improve my game? Yes, they will and here’s why…Radial Consistency. That means that the degree of deflection is the same all the way around the shaft. How is Radial Consistency accomplished? We have a patented process utilizing Carbon Fiber Technology. The process itself is proprietary and I can’t discuss it further.

So what is the difference between the three shafts? Each shaft has a different diameter, a different tip, and different taper, each managing cue ball deflection differently. The end result is a varying degree of power, control, and feel. These varying degrees allow you to custom fit a shaft to your game, or even a specific shot.

Some of you joke around that switching to different shafts sounds crazy. Fact is, we did a study on our web site that showed a majority of the advanced players already own 3 or more cues. I would be willing to bet you guys already have a cue for breaking and a cue for shooting. What we’re saying is, one size does not fit all so don’t just decide what cue/shaft you’ll use based on a break shot or a non-break shot. Table speeds, bank shots, shots that require a lot of English, and your own abilities should all impact what shaft you are using.

Keep the discussion going. We’re interested in getting your feedback. And be sure to check out these shafts at a McDermott retailer. In the coming weeks, our dealers will be receiving demo shafts for players to test. I know you'll be pleasantly surprised.

tateuts
09-17-2004, 03:43 PM
I just want to say in total honesty, and I am sure it is on behalf of all of us here... it's all that Cueless Joey's fault.

The rest of like the idea of color coding our shafts and filling them with fiber and other proprietary good stuff. We wants tips to play on different cloth and shafts that do different things, especially when we miss.

If they laugh, all I can say is, hold your head up high and look at Ping. They laughed at Karsten too and look how stinkin' rich he is.

Chris

datplayer
09-17-2004, 06:25 PM
This may be the silliest pool invention I have heard of for a very long time. Steve Suhm, all I have to say is that you are a very brave man if you are willing to back your career on this invention.

highsea
09-17-2004, 07:23 PM
Well, good luck to you. McDermott makes good cues, and I think it's a good idea to offer a buyer a choice of shafts.

As far as switching back and forth in a game, that's something I would never do, other than maybe the break, but maybe some people will.

But I can live without all the marketing hype. We hear plenty of that from the other two manufacturers you already mentioned. Reminds me of Cessna when they came out with tricycle landing gear. They called it the "land-o-matic". You guys don't have any old Cessna marketing people working for you, do you? Never mind. Just a passing thought.

The best way to market a good product is to tell your customers what they are buying. If it's a radially laminated shaft with a carbon fiber core, just say so. If there are three different stiffnesses, call them low, med, and high. Players know what they like.

Not trying to be overly critical, like I said, McDermott is a good product. Just don't come out with a break cue and call it a "break-o-matic", okay?

-CM

Billy_Bob
09-17-2004, 07:45 PM
I would like to see all cue manufacturers go a little further with their research, that being tip radius (dime, nickel, quarter shape) and which is best for specific shots (break, jump, English, draw, etc.).

I have read that tip radius *may* affect cue ball deflection, but I have yet to see any research using the same shafts with a different radius on the tip for each test.

Afterall, the tip *is* the business end of the cue!

tateuts
09-17-2004, 08:49 PM
The marketing tactics are nothing in pool versus golf.

Golf is hilarious. Today you plunk down $1000 for a new, vastly improved set of irons and $1000 for a couple of new, vastly improved Titanium woods, and two months later the same company discontinues the line and comes up with the new and vastly improved line. In two years you are a dinosaur old fart playing with your outdated clubs. So you plunk down another two grand and your handicap hasn't gone down one stroke.

Chris

Cueless Joey
09-17-2004, 09:24 PM
The Googans in golf have a lot more money. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Joey~Believes in quality maple shaft~

Wally_in_Cincy
09-18-2004, 06:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote datplayer:</font><hr> This may be the silliest pool invention I have heard of for a very long time. Steve Suhm, all I have to say is that you are a very brave man if you are willing to back your career on this invention. <hr /></blockquote>

Who can really say? Look at Predator. Look at the advent of laminated tips. Look at the new break cues with phenolic tips. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Personally I think McDermott cues are fine enough quality to stand alone without any gimmickery, but this concept may actually work, even though I doubt I will be trying it.

tateuts
09-18-2004, 07:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> The Googans in golf have a lot more money. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Joey~Believes in quality maple shaft~ <hr /></blockquote>

So what is a Googan, anyway?

Wally_in_Cincy
09-18-2004, 08:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr>So what is a Googan, anyway?
<hr /></blockquote>

I don't know where it came from but a googan has come to be known as a guy who has:

4 custom cues, each w/ 2 Predator shafts
4 different tip tools
3 bridge heads
pocket reducers at home
every instructional book ever written
tries a different laminated tip evry 2 weeks searching for the perfect one
wearing a Dead Stroke t-shirt

but can't run 3 friggin' balls....... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara
09-18-2004, 08:05 AM
Chris,

A "Googan" is a person that will buy any piece of equipment/book/gizmo out there that s/he thinks will instantly and magically improve their game.

This is not to be confused with Fred A who is simply an "equipment whore". /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara

woody_968
09-18-2004, 08:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote datplayer:</font><hr> This may be the silliest pool invention I have heard of for a very long time. Steve Suhm, all I have to say is that you are a very brave man if you are willing to back your career on this invention. <hr /></blockquote>

Why is it silly? Schuler has offered different shafts for years (I think they offer 10 different shafts) and no one is calling them silly.

datplayer
09-18-2004, 08:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The marketing tactics are nothing in pool versus golf.

Golf is hilarious. Today you plunk down $1000 for a new, vastly improved set of irons and $1000 for a couple of new, vastly improved Titanium woods, and two months later the same company discontinues the line and comes up with the new and vastly improved line. In two years you are a dinosaur old fart playing with your outdated clubs. So you plunk down another two grand and your handicap hasn't gone down one stroke.

<hr /></blockquote>

I think the big difference in golf is that there are dozens of different type of shots, whereas in pool, there are only about 4-5. You simply cannot play golf with one club (well unless you don't care about your handicap /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif), but in pool, you really only need one good cue.

tateuts
09-18-2004, 09:00 AM
Oh crap, I'm, a Googan!

'Tis a cruel world out there....

datplayer
09-18-2004, 09:19 AM
I have never been a big fan of Predator(guess I didn't give it enough time), but the idea of laminated shafts are that they are consistent with every shot.

Essentially, based on McDermott's claims, you will need all three shafts unless you plan on only using centerball hit or play locally at bars where the rails are dead and the cloth slow.

What happens if you get down on a shot and you realize that you need that "super speed" shaft? Are you going to call timeout to change shafts? Even worse, what happens if a tip falls of the "super control" shaft? Will that mean that you cannot play position anymore?

Billy_Bob
09-18-2004, 09:49 AM
I experimented with soft tips and a small diameter shaft (11 mm). I got exceptional draw, but long hard bank shots did not have enough power (ran out of gas). Basically I could not hit the cue ball fast and the tip would squish in after trying such a shot.

I think this was the best lesson I ever had about tips. Once I did this, I understood why it is better to have a hard tip.

Unfortunately it is expensive to have custom shafts made for learning/experimenting. I don't know what the McDermott shafts will sell for, but I would think it would be less expensive than ordering custom shafts.

I would suggest that beginning *serious* pool players with about a year of practice, play for a month using a small shaft (11 mm) with soft tip - dime and then nickel then quarter shape, then a month with a medium shaft (12 mm) with a medium tip - dime nickel quarter, and then a month with a large shaft (13 mm) with a hard tip - dime nickel quarter.

Then switch them all to hard (Q) Moori tips.

It is interesting to learn how differently the shafts/tips will play... (Players new to pool would not be able to notice the difference BTW.)

woody_968
09-18-2004, 10:17 AM
I must be missing something here, I didnt take it as they are suggesting changing shafts for different shots. I took it as selecting a shaft that fits your style of play, which I agree with. Maybe "style of play" is a bad discription. But I do think it would be helpful for players to be able to test side by side some of the different shaft tapers available to find what feel they like the most.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-18-2004, 10:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> I must be missing something here, I didnt take it as they are suggesting changing shafts for different shots. I took it as selecting a shaft that fits your style of play, which I agree with. Maybe "style of play" is a bad discription. But I do think it would be helpful for players to be able to test side by side some of the different shaft tapers available to find what feel they like the most. <hr /></blockquote>

I think they are suggesting different shafts for different playing conditions. Slow vs. fast cloth for example

Harold Acosta
09-18-2004, 10:36 PM
I own a McDermott D-4 that has been retired since 1996. Got the signatures of many pro's on the shaft. I will need a new shaft, so I'll go for one of these unless the price is too high.

$125.00 should be the price. No more. The Predator shafts, the X-Shaft, and all the other "miracle shafts" are way too overpriced.

Chris Cass
09-19-2004, 06:55 AM
Hi Chris,

The term came from a poster that used to post here and sometimes lurks named Nick Schuman.(sp?) Nicky is Steve Lipsky' road partner. He is also Steve' protige(prote-szey?) Nick is a riot a minute and played the Open the yr before this last one. This kid can play some too. I was at Vegas and didn't know his name at the time in 2002. I was walking by on my way to the dest area to sign up for one of the mini tourneys and Nick was beating the crap out of this guy playing 9 ball in one of the mini'. The kid can play.

Anyway, we're all googans and only the worst get the title. lol If you own a piece of chalk dangling from a small stick that resembles a pool cue, you might be a googan. hahahaha SPetty. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm the second with everyone of my shirts have something pool related on them. hahahaha So, your not alone bud.

Regards,

C.C.~~answered a post of yours and after a long 4 paragraphs the door bell rang with my Stroke Trainer. I get up to sign for the package and Spike jumped on the puter and closed out the site and erased my post. I'll get back to it soon my friend.

Chris Cass
Hi Chris,

The term came from a poster that used to post here and sometimes lurks named Nick Schuman.(sp?) Nicky is Steve Lipsky' road partner. He is also Steve' protige(prote-szey?) Nick is a riot a minute and played the Open the yr before this last one. This kid can play some too. I was at Vegas and didn't know his name at the time in 2002. I was walking by on my way to the dest area to sign up for one of the mini tourneys and Nick was beating the crap out of this guy playing 9 ball in one of the mini'. The kid can play.

Anyway, we're all googans and only the worst get the title. lol If you own a piece of chalk dangling from a small stick that resembles a pool cue, you might be a googan. hahahaha SPetty. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm the second with everyone of my shirts have something pool related on them. hahahaha So, your not alone bud.

Regards,

C.C.~~answered a post of yours and after a long 4 paragraphs the door bell rang with my Stroke Trainer. I get up to sign for the package and Spike jumped on the puter and closed out the site and erased my post. I'll get back to it soon my friend.

Chris Cass
Hi Chris,

Regards,

onepocketchump
09-20-2004, 08:36 AM
I guess the difference with Schuler and the companies offering special shafts is the degree of claims. From what I remember Schuler didn't really make any claims fo superior performance through the use of their shafts. They merely offer many tapers to allow the player to pick what feels best to them. Schuler does or did make a claim that their cue had a better "feel" due to their joint design.

I guess I could look at the Schuler website before posting this but I am in a lazy mood and I'll rely on memory.

John

whojoedaddy
09-20-2004, 01:52 PM
Maybe we'll start needing a cue caddy to select which cue to play with depending on the shot.

Billy_Bob
09-21-2004, 01:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whojoedaddy:</font><hr> Maybe we'll start needing a cue caddy to select which cue to play with depending on the shot. <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hummm... Yes! Or I wonder if I could get one of those electric carts through the door??? I could get in and drive around to the other side of the table for my next shot! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif