PDA

View Full Version : Most impressive cuemaker/ U.S. Open

Chris Cass
09-14-2004, 12:25 PM
Hi everyone,

I was lucky enough to speak with Dan Dishaw while working the booth next to him. He was extremely friendly and came and sat next to me talking for awhile when it was early and a bit slow.

He's came out with a new line of cues that were cored a certain way. Something he was trying that turned out to be great. A more solid hit and his work is extremely great too.

I enjoyed talking with him. He's so down to earth and we spoke a bit about our mutual love of cues and Barry Szamboti also. He cares and Barry would do well knowing he's a great friend too.

I like the look of his designs and wish him well in his marketing of them too. I sure wish Fred could do an article on him and his new stuff. He's really something and I was so impressed with him and his work. He's a good man. I tried to help stall one of his customers till he got back from a small break. I guess the guy did buy one. I want to feel I did in some small way to try to help sell one for his concern for my dear friend Barry. I think the guy was there already about ten times but I tried anyway. I told Dan that if he ever needed my help, I'd be there for him. He's very intelligent and I could talk cues all day with him. What a guy.

Regards,

C.C.~~seen Dave Jacoby and as always says hello and remembers me. The venue is small there at the open and it's hard to sell anything there. It's not what I would expect but everyone does get some exposure. Not like it's VF. Now that place rocks.

SPetty
09-14-2004, 12:37 PM
Hi Chris,

As you know, many of the CCBers were sitting in the Dishaw section of the venue. Mr. Dishaw sat next to Wally during the finals. We had room since Barbara had to leave early.

Someone named Weenie Beenie sat next to me during the finals. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Barbara
09-14-2004, 12:44 PM
Wow!! You sat next to Weenie Beenie and Dan Dishaw?? You go Girl!!

Barbara~~glad the seat went to a good person /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
09-14-2004, 01:02 PM
Someone? HAHHAHAHAHA You poor thing. You have know idea in which the company you kept. I had a pic with me of him along with Dick Leonard for him to sign but didn't have it at the hall. Man Spetty, don't admit that to anyone else and save yourself some embarrassment. Dan Dishaw too. wow. I wanted so bad to challenge Willie Joplin at some one pocket at the hall but didn't want to bother him. These old guys are a Godsend to have around, if you truely, love the game. They're legends and more valuable that any of the many Earl' out there. There's so much to learn and they have a history that most would admire.

Regards,

C.C.~~what a waist of a great feeling.

Fred Agnir
09-14-2004, 01:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> I like the look of his designs and wish him well in his marketing of them too. I sure wish Fred could do an article on him and his new stuff. He's really something and I was so impressed with him and his work. He's a good man. <hr /></blockquote> So many cuemakers, so little time. Dan Dishaw is on my list. I'll get to him some day.

I trust you've read the South West article?

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
09-14-2004, 01:10 PM
Dishaw's a dead ringer for Mr. Big on "Sex and the City" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just remembered something. I had been admiring Gabe's cue. It was really fancy. I think it was birdeye's maple with ivory points. When SPetty told me who the guy was sitting next to me I asked him "Can you make me a cue like that for a thousand bucks?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

He said "Yeah. A thousand deposit" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
09-14-2004, 01:11 PM
Cues and now TIPS.

The SouthWest cue article is great.

Great article on TIPS in this month's issue of Inside Pool.

Fred, do you work for a living? you have way too much fun in your spare time.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for your informative efforts. I enjoy reading your articles.

dg-in-centralpa
09-14-2004, 02:00 PM
C.C. - I agree with you on Dishaw. He's a great person to talk with. His designs are wonderful. I always stop by his stand as soon as I get to VF. Hopefully I'll get to meet Barry S. this time.

DG - starting to count the days until VF

SPetty
09-14-2004, 03:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Fred, do you work for a living? You have way too much fun in your spare time... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>Gee, sounds like what I was saying to you at the airport! Tom, do you work for a living? You have way too much fun in your spare time... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ted harris
09-14-2004, 03:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> The venue is small there at the open and it's hard to sell anything there. It's not what I would expect but everyone does get some exposure.<hr /></blockquote>
I did not get there until late Friday night. I had finished twelve cues for the show and was not expecting to sell any cues at all. The price range was from $500- to $1700- that consisted of four play/jump cues, five entry level cues, two four point cues with veneers, and one six point double milled with 21 ivory diamonds, and six boxes in the butt sleeve.
My booth was across from Dave Jacoby's by the bathrooms. Prior to setting up my booth on Saturday morning, I delivered my sponsorship cue to Barry Behrman. He was very happy that I showed up to display cues, and double happy that I brought the sponsorship cue I had promised him. Considering that this is the first time in three years that I even showed up!!! Well anyway, I ended up selling all but one of the cues prior to the finals, and wanted to watch the finals. So I packed up the cues and went to go watch, only to decide that I was not leaving the booth until I sold the last cue...so I set up the booth again, and moved it around to the front by the entrance to the arena. The cue that was left was a $1700- cue. I sold it to one of the last five people leaving the building after the finals! Unreal! I hope some of the people from the CCB finally got to see some of my cues, even though I got there late. I would also like to thank everyone that bought cues, and made the show so wonderful for me! I know that I am lucky that the show went so well! Thanks again to Barry Behrman for having a great tournament! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
09-15-2004, 05:21 AM
Ted,

From what I observed most of the cues there had no prices on them (I can't recall if yours did or not). That makes it somewhat difficult to shop for one in the limited time between matches, if you have to keep asking "How much is this?"

JMO

Chris Cass
09-15-2004, 05:56 AM
Fred,

I've read eveything you've written and I like and support you in every way. I love Sally to death and had the pleasure of meeting J.R. and the rest of the staff. Oh, Ben and his wife too. That mag is Number 1 in my eyes and climbing. It's beyond me that they might think of P&amp;B as their competition. That's no contest at all. I think it would be BD if any. P&amp;B is merely a industry add mag with a whole 7 pages of stuff I might like to read.

Fred, you need to do a article on Dan before someone else gets the jump on you. imho Watch out though. After 20 minutes talking with him you'll want to hanfg with him the entire day. lol

Regards,

C.C.~~proud of what Fred has been doing and the work shows. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dishawcues
10-07-2004, 07:34 PM
Hi Chris,
Thank you for all the kind words. It was indeed my pleasure to meet and speak with you.
Thanks for all the help you gave me and Diana at our booths, that was very nice of you to offer your assistance. After all, if my good friend, Barry Szamboti, gave you his own personal cue to play with at the US Open, it certainly reveals a lot about you.
Thanks for letting me see Barry's cue and again for all the help at the Open.

Best regards,

Dan

Barbara
10-07-2004, 07:59 PM
Hey Dan!!

If you remember, you came around looking on Saturday or Friday night at the section you bought and paid for and there was no seat for you but your name was all over the section's VIP reserve placemats cause you paid for it. Well, I left to go home Sunday morning and you sat in my seat. You sat yourself between Spetty and Beanie Weenie and Wally_In-Cincy. Will Stanton was there, WOW! What a great player and I missed out just sitting near him, let alone talking to him!!

Okay, so maybe Beenie Weenie will be at the Expo in March and please introduce me to him!!

Thanks!!

Barbara

dishawcues
10-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Hi Barbara,
Thanks for the seat, and I will be sure to make introductions next time, but you have to stick around.
Look forward to seeing you in March or maybe Derby in Feb.

All the best,

Dan

Fred Agnir
10-08-2004, 06:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dishawcues:</font><hr> Hi Barbara,
Thanks for the seat, and I will be sure to make introductions next time, but you have to stick around.
Look forward to seeing you in March or maybe Derby in Feb.

All the best,

Dan <hr /></blockquote>You'll definitely be at DCC then, Dan? Is it in February? I thought it was in January.

Fred &lt;~~~ room is booked

dishawcues
10-08-2004, 07:43 AM
Hi Fred,
Hope all is well with you. Articles are outstanding, great job.
You are indeed correct Jan 14-22. Thanks for the correction
and I will be there. Were is the best place to stay?

Regards,

Dan

Fred Agnir
10-08-2004, 08:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dishawcues:</font><hr> Hi Fred,
Hope all is well with you. Articles are outstanding, great job.
You are indeed correct Jan 14-22. Thanks for the correction
and I will be there. Were is the best place to stay?

Regards,

Dan <hr /></blockquote>Right at the event at the Executive West Hotel. You'll need to call them (like, today), as as far as I know, you can't get an online reservation due to the event. 502-367-2251

Next best case is to stay at their sister hotel, the Executive Inn which pretty much right next door.

Fred

#### leonard
10-08-2004, 04:55 PM
Weenie Beanie that brings back memories. I played Beanie in Georges? in Suitland Maryland. The game was 105 to 90 we started at $500 and it ended at $1000 a game. Beanie had to send out for money I remember that.####

dishawcues
10-09-2004, 07:24 AM
Fred,
Thanks again, I did call and make reseverations, the hotel
is almost sold out.

See ya there,

Dan

#### leonard
10-10-2004, 06:27 AM
SPETTY Weenie Beanie had hotdog stands in and around Washington DC and Alexandria Virgina the only problem he had was the land they were on was worth far more than the hotdog business. He made millions selling the land not the hotdogs.####

Chris Cass
10-10-2004, 05:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dishawcues:</font><hr> Hi Chris,
Thank you for all the kind words. It was indeed my pleasure to meet and speak with you.
Thanks for all the help you gave me and Diana at our booths, that was very nice of you to offer your assistance. After all, if my good friend, Barry Szamboti, gave you his own personal cue to play with at the US Open, it certainly reveals a lot about you.
Thanks for letting me see Barry's cue and again for all the help at the Open.

Best regards,

Dan <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Mr. Dishaw,

It was strickly my pleasure. About Barry, everytime I think of him or hear his name it brings a smile to my face. I was pleased you liked his cue that he gave to me. About helping you at the booth. That was nothing at all. I tried to tell the buyer about the things you were doing to those particular cues and I was the one that was so excited as well as the buyer. Actually, I wanted to stall him till you got back and had no idea he didn't speak english very well.

I'll say this. He sure knows cues. lol Funny how only a few players know what a fine cue is by just looking at them. I mean unless some don't know the name they just can't tell from the looks of what a great cue looks like. I can pick 1 out of 100. Your cues are absolutly gorgous.

Your class shows, in your work. I just bet your hard work shows in the hit as well. I requested Fred to do a piece on your cue as you've already read. He's a good one to do it too. Fred loves cues almost as much as I love pool. lol I know I have no power over Fred' job but Fred knows quality work when he see it.

If I'm ever around and you need to use me for something for a minute? Just ask. There's nothing I wouldn't do for a friend of Barry'. Now, that I know you a bit more personal. I feel you can ask me for just about anything. lol Thank you for the reply.

Regards,

C.C.~~can't believe Dan replied to me, the cassman. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif