PDA

View Full Version : Who won between Scott and Pookie?

nhp
09-14-2004, 04:31 PM
So who won when they were playing 1-hole? I heard it was for $10,000, and went on for a few days.

Tom_In_Cincy
09-14-2004, 05:00 PM
They left Saturday morning, just before noon, tied. Over $100 table time and no winner.

cueball1950
09-14-2004, 05:06 PM
They started the match on tuesday night i believe. they were playing 5 ahead 1 pocket with pookie getting 10/7 or 10/8 depending on who is breaking. they were playing 5 ahead for 5k a set and you had to win 2 sets to win the 10k that each had poated, they played everynight until the sun came up. then got some sleep and played again that night. at 1 time pookie was up 1 set but down 3 games in the next set, which was won by scott. so they were all tied again. The bet was that they had to play until someone won the $$$$$$$..no quiting. so they just may still be playing.. i cannot understand why they did not just play 10 ahead for the 10k. i thought that would be easier.........................mike

Chris Cass
09-15-2004, 05:09 AM
Hi Mike,

I was at Q-Masters at 6:30 pm and was talking with Scott awhile. They'd been playing since 11pm Sat night non-stop. Scott was giving Pookie 10-7 when he broke and 9-7 when Pookie broke. Scott was up 1 set and 3 games and that changed after a few games to finally Scott up 1 set and 1 game.

Scott had been talking with Pookie about when the next time was to get to play. Seemed Pookie would have to leave Mon and that would be it. They needed to be up 2 sets to win. both players were a bit jelly by then and after the 20th hr called it quits for the day. I think the house made more money and don't have a clue what they did to settle. Both players had the table speed down but I could tell that Scott was the better of the two. Both making mindless errors like Scott not putting up the coin after a foul and Pookie screwing with the balls spotted after they were frozen on the spot. That's normal though as both were at it for 20 hrs or so.

Regards,

C.C.

Eric.
09-15-2004, 08:05 AM
They definitely put the hours in! I left the Q around 4 AM Friday nite and they were still playing. I got back to the Q at 10 AM for the CCB thing and they were still playing!

You know, that wasn't even the marathon match for the week. That honor goes to Jimmy Reid who put in about 40 hours straight on the Billiards table! More stamina than Rocky(yo!)

Eric

Ross
09-15-2004, 10:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> They started the match on tuesday night i believe. they were playing 5 ahead 1 pocket with pookie getting 10/7 or 10/8 depending on who is breaking. they were playing 5 ahead for 5k a set and you had to win 2 sets to win the 10k that each had poated, they played everynight until the sun came up. then got some sleep and played again that night. at 1 time pookie was up 1 set but down 3 games in the next set, which was won by scott. so they were all tied again. The bet was that they had to play until someone won the $$$$$$$..no quiting. so they just may still be playing.. i cannot understand why they did not just play 10 ahead for the 10k. i thought that would be easier.........................mike <hr /></blockquote>

I agree. According to my thinking, having to get up 2 sets of 5-ahead is EXACTLY equivalent to playing 10-ahead. That's why the bet sounded so weird to me. I don't know why they set it up that way.

Chris Cass
09-15-2004, 11:24 AM
Hi Ross,

If they didn't set it up that way they'd still be there. Ten ahead is about plus' and minus'. Back and fourth and ten would be too much. They split it into two sets in order to make it easier to buy out if something came up and if the game seems too tough to complete so far away from seeing home.

The time thing was enormus and not to mention the Open responsibilities. You know sometimes we get into a game that seems like the light at the end of the tunnel is close and some just work out that it'll never end. You have to take the worse case senerio when locking up ahead matches. I once played a guy 8 ahead and that was in 9 ball. That game lasted 2 days and still we ended up paying by splitting the money into actual games to end the dang thing. Seems the ph made all the money in time.

JAT,

C.C.

Ross
09-15-2004, 11:37 AM
Well, Chris I understand the difference in 2 5-aheads and 1 10-ahead, as they are usually played. But I was told was that there would be no payoff unless one of player got ahead by 2 sets of 5-ahead. (Sort of like a tennis tie-breaker where you have to get ahead by 2 to win.) If that is true (there would be no buy out if one person ended up 1 set) then having to be ahead by 2 5-aheads is the same as playing a 10-ahead. In both cases, the +/- has to reach +10 in favor of one player for the match to end. That is why they are still playing for all we know! lol

But maybe what I heard was wrong and they did have some provisions for settling if one of them ended up 1 set.

Chris Cass
09-15-2004, 11:50 AM
Hi Ross,

I guess what I assummed you said in your post was inaccurate of took it wrong? I hadn't heard if one guy wasn't two sets ahead than it would be a wash. Then for sure the hall made out bigtime. I also heard the hall would get a cut but that's all hear say anyway.

For me I like the two ahead no pay. That way the time in town would be limited. Seems with all the money those guys had as either back or on the own they'd make something that someone besides the house could walk away with something. Even, just to take care of the time deal. I saw one time was like 54 bucks. That was Pookies time I'm sure alone for the day.

Regards,

C.C.~~no disrespect intended to my friend Ross.

Ross
09-15-2004, 12:09 PM
Ok, Chris, here is a conspiracy theory. What if Scott and Pookie wanted to set up some side bettors? If there really was a 2 sets ahead requirement, they could easily make sure that there was continuing action and no one ever won. But if they had buddies selectively taking side action on single sets, they could ensure their buddies won those bets by manipulating who won those single sets. I don't think this is what was going on since there are much easier ways to do this, and I'm not accusing them of this, just some wild speculation for my own amusement. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Chris Cass
09-16-2004, 07:12 AM
Hi Ross,

Scott is surely not the guy for that job but, I did see the same kids there about two tables down that did that same thing or lets say, I wouldn't put it past them. The same kids that were at VF with the John Deere hats on crooked. They were in action too.

I wouldn't trust them with a ten foot pole. Scott on the other hand doesn't need to steal as he comes from money as my understanding. He was too hell bent on beating Pookie. Pookie was calm as anything but after 85 hrs of play I would be sadate too. lol

I've seen many guys that got what I call torpeadoed and could smell it coming the minute I walk into a room. Call it a six sence.

Regards,

C.C.~~you know much Grasspopper. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif