PDA

View Full Version : SCOTT LEE rolling through Longview Texas

Deeman2
09-15-2004, 07:02 AM
As I have in the past, in the case of instruction I'll post my thoughts on my lessons.

Scott met me (and Tori) at The Corner Pocket in exciting downtown Kilgore, TX for our scheduled 4 hours of torture for my game. Scott was there a couple of minutes early and we had to negoiate with the room owner as she was afraid Scott's taping of the lesson would be a problem. After several phone calls to her partner/husband, Scott was able to talk her into letting him tape me. This was probably my fault as I had not told them we would be taping when I scheduled the lesson with the room.

My game had suffered since my move from Pennsylvania to Alabama and was really concerning me as we came to Texas. I had thought I was merely standing up in my shots and maybe had a little too much body movement. Gee, if it had only been that simple!

Scott found about 4 basic things I let overtake, not just creep into, my stroke. After many hours, I still had way too much movement, not enough pause in my stroke and was even lifting my cue out of an open bridge during my stroke. However, I now have the recognition of what I am doing wrong and can work on this. In the meantime, I can't make a ball but will just have to suffer until I get my game settled back down.

My Review: Scott was well prepared and was able to directly diagnose my problems after watching me hit a rack of balls. He was very understandable and responsive to all questions with demonstrations on all shots. He covered a large range of issues questioning my understanding of the concepts of throw, english and banks. He presents a very dependable system to more accurately draw and follow the cue ball, a sort of calibration that, while I'm still getting used to it, will allow me more control over my draw and follow shots.

He really made me conscience of the lower speeds you can use for draw, and other, shots. I knew I was going to get hit for my pre-shot routine (Dee's - let's lean over and spank the ball system) and I was right. Again, while he didn't cure this immediately, I am now paying much cloaser attention to it and it will come.

As expected, Scott gave me several drills to practice. I was impressed while simple, all of them tied together to make cover a wide range of skills and allows for objective judgement of success while still leaving you some confidence.

As expected, Scott, being a trick shot artist and doing many shows, was very personable and almost like the Energizer Bunny, in covering more material than I thought was possible in the time allowed. I mean when he says it's 4 hours of fast paced instruction, he means it. No breaks, no goofing off, he knows it's your money that's being spent.

After the lesson, he hung around and he played some nine ball and one pocket with Tori and I for about two hours.

I liked Scott's style and professionalism as well as his manner of instruction. You just don't click with some very nice and excellent instructors. I did with Scott. He didn't put up with any excuses or compromise on his view of how to hit the ball.

He, Tori and I then when out for a meal at a Mexican restaurant in Kilgore and, I tell you, he has as many stories as Fat's did, but his are much more believable.

Now I have to get my stroke together, at least a little, before he sees me shoot again at SPetty's on Saturday. Gee, what is it about your concentration when your instructor is watching? I wanted to jump up and say, "Scott, I swear I can run racks!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif Well, I may be on my way back, but I have some new tools help me.

Overall, I rate his instruction as the best I have experienced and the overall day a big success. I also feel I have made a new friend.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deeman

SpiderMan
09-15-2004, 11:03 AM
Good to hear that Scott will be out at Pettypoint. It's shaping up to be a pretty good crowd.

SpiderMan

Scott Lee
09-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Spiderman...I am looking forward to seeing you again too! I'll be teaching all day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at with RandyG at Cue Tech, but I plan to be back out at SPetty's house at dinnertime. Hopefully most of those planning to go will still be there!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com (http://www.poolknowledge.com)

Pelican
09-15-2004, 11:36 AM
Was good to visit with you again. After we get thru this hurricane I'm going to make my Daughter and Jenny really work on what you taught them. I need to get my old dumb ass back in gear and do the basics again.

Have a safe trip my friend and hope to see you when you make your next deep south swing. Hopefully by then we will have a place for you to stay.

Later, Pel

Deeman2
09-15-2004, 04:28 PM
Spiderman,

I look forward to seeing you but you have to promise to stay off Spetty's table with that Memphis (climb up on the table) Bridge. It brings back too many painful memories...

Keep the table warm, we'll be there a little after noon.

Deeman /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SpiderMan
09-15-2004, 07:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> Spiderman,

I look forward to seeing you but you have to promise to stay off Spetty's table with that Memphis (climb up on the table) Bridge. It brings back too many painful memories...

Keep the table warm, we'll be there a little after noon.

Deeman /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

HaHaHAHA! Now I understand what you meant by "Memphis Bridge" in that posting a few weeks ago! I'll never forget the image of Big James crawling down the table at River City, looking like an overstuffed love seat in a green jumpsuit.

I grew legs, and you'll notice my "Memphis Bridge" is 100% BCA-legal!

SpiderMan

Deeman2
09-16-2004, 05:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Spiderman,

I grew legs, and you'll notice my "Memphis Bridge" is 100% BCA-legal!

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Spiderman:

Unfortunately, as I grew legs, now I have grown larger in other areas as well /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif so there are several state laws against table abuse that prevent me from useing the "Memphis Bridge!" I hear you are bringing your girlfriend so I am bringing my wife. She's like an APA 2 but snuggles well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

woody_968
09-16-2004, 10:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> She's like an APA 2 but snuggles well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>

That is an instant classic!!

I think I just found a new introduction for my wife /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Scott Lee
09-16-2004, 10:45 AM
Rick...After watching the news yesterday and today, I can only hope you and your family still HAVE homes. This storm looks pretty damaging, and the eye looks to be coming right over you! Good luck...

Scott