PDA

View Full Version : PREDATOR SHAFT DIAMETER ??

Troy
09-15-2004, 02:30 PM
I thought the standard diameter of a Predator 314 shaft was 12.75mm.
However, today at the ol' pool room, I measured (with a caliper) five (5) Predator 314's from three (3) cue owners and they all measured 12.5mm. All three guys swear they NEVER have used sandpaper or any abrasive on their shafts. According to the owners, these shafts are in the range of 2-5 years old.
I don't mind being corrected if I've been wrong, but what is the "standard" size of a Predator 314 shaft ???
Thanks...

Troy

Cueless Joey
09-15-2004, 02:39 PM
12.75MM is standard.
Wood shrinks though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Troy
09-15-2004, 02:44 PM
That was quick, thanks Joey...
As I thought... The 3 guys couldn't/wouldn't believe the shafts would "shrink" exactly the same on all 5 shafts.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> 12.75MM is standard.
Wood shrinks though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Cueless Joey
09-15-2004, 02:57 PM
Wood shrinks.
That's why blanks and shaft blanks are hung a while before taking passes.
They even shink at different level, accross the grain and parallel to the grain.
That's why you can't rush making cues/shafts.
Sure splicing helps in preventing warpage.
But, wood shinks. You have to LET THEM shrink (and warp) before making the last pass.
Or those 3 were really 12.5MM from the factory b/c someone made a mistake. I was told one time they hold 5 thousandths of an inch tolerance at Predator. Assuming that is correct, a minus 5 thou would make those shafts around 12.62 MM.

pooljunkie73
09-15-2004, 06:22 PM
I believe the Z shaft has a 12.5mm shaft.

Kent

Cueless Joey
09-15-2004, 11:29 PM
Oops, forgot that one.
I don't know anyone who can play with that taper.

SpiderMan
09-16-2004, 06:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> That was quick, thanks Joey...
As I thought... The 3 guys couldn't/wouldn't believe the shafts would "shrink" exactly the same on all 5 shafts.
Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> 12.75MM is standard.
Wood shrinks though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

Troy,

I agree that wood shrinks, but I wouldn't assume that about the ferrule material as well. If the reduction in size were due to shrinkage, there should have been a size discontinuity where the wood meets the ferrule. Did you notice the wood being significantly smaller diameter than the ferrule?

If I remember to take my calipers, I'll measure Spetty's Predator and any others that are brought to PettyPoint for this weekend's Texas get-together.

SpiderMan

Troy
09-16-2004, 07:11 AM
Hi Spider...
The ferrule was also 12.5mm, not just the wood behind the ferrule.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>
Troy,

I agree that wood shrinks, but I wouldn't assume that about the ferrule material as well. If the reduction in size were due to shrinkage, there should have been a size discontinuity where the wood meets the ferrule. Did you notice the wood being significantly smaller diameter than the ferrule?

If I remember to take my calipers, I'll measure Spetty's Predator and any others that are brought to PettyPoint for this weekend's Texas get-together.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

rah
09-16-2004, 08:17 AM
My Predator break cue purchased a year ago is 12.5. It has a pro taper. Maybe this has something to do with the diameter.

PQQLK9
09-16-2004, 08:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooljunkie73:</font><hr> I believe the Z shaft has a 12.5mm shaft.

Kent <hr /></blockquote>
http://www.predatorcues.com/pure_z/evolution.htm

SpiderMan
09-16-2004, 10:55 AM
In that case, I'd have to guess that shrinkage was not involved, ie the shaft was manufactured as 12.5.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> Hi Spider...

Troy
Troy,

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

pooljunkie73
09-16-2004, 12:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr>
http://www.predatorcues.com/pure_z/evolution.htm <hr /></blockquote>

Oops, I was close though...LOL

Kent Mc.

Troy
09-16-2004, 03:39 PM
Yup, that's what I'm thinking...
It was strange though to run into 5 shafts from 3 people and have
all of them at 12.5mm.
Learn somethin' new every day... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> In that case, I'd have to guess that shrinkage was not involved, ie the shaft was manufactured as 12.5.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> Hi Spider...

Troy
Troy,

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

Troy
09-20-2004, 01:13 PM
Hey Spider, did you remember ???

Troy

SpiderMan
09-20-2004, 02:16 PM
Actually it wasn't my memory so much as not going home on Friday night /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Anyway, as soon as we arrived SPetty asked if I was ready for measurement, and after a moment of panic I remembered what I forgot.

SpiderMan

Barbara
09-20-2004, 02:51 PM
Anyway, as soon as we arrived SPetty asked if I was ready for measurement, and after a moment of panic I remembered what I forgot.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I can see SPetty now, dying all week just to ask you that question!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara~~~gotta get me to one of these PPPH get-togethers!!

Troy
09-20-2004, 04:20 PM
L O L !!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Actually it wasn't my memory so much as not going home on Friday night /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.