PDA

View Full Version : Stratos tip problem

Leviathan
09-16-2004, 05:47 AM
A friendly warning: I just got a couple of Stratos laminated 14 mm tips (hard) in the mail. I intended to put one on a break cue. Unfortunately, these tips' layers are stacked on a slant, and the slant is bad enough to make it very doubtful that the tips can be installed correctly.

Also, I'm curious whether anyone has run into this problem with other laminated tips.

AS

catscradle
09-16-2004, 06:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> A friendly warning: I just got a couple of Stratos laminated 14 mm tips (hard) in the mail. I intended to put one on a break cue. Unfortunately, these tips' layers are stacked on a slant, and the slant is bad enough to make it very doubtful that the tips can be installed correctly.

Also, I'm curious whether anyone has run into this problem with other laminated tips.

AS <hr /></blockquote>

I've used Stratos Extra-Hard for a break tip, and have used Stratos Softs on a playing cue and have never seen this problem. I got mine from Muellers. Maybe I was lucky or you were unlucky.

Leviathan
09-16-2004, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the info, Cat.

AS

SpiderMan
09-16-2004, 06:46 AM
Levithian,

Please describe what you mean by "stacked on a slant". Do you mean that the layers are parallel to the bottom of the tip, but just not directly above one another? This would be like a layer cake where each added layer is a little off to the side of the one below it.

If that is the case, it is indeed a problem for applications where the finished diameter is close to maximum, because if you center the glue side of the tip on the ferrule it won't be centered further up. In that case, when you trim you won't have enough tip on one side to produce a 360-degree finish.

When I participated in the interactive Talisman development 5 or so years back, Tony's early tips had this problem, but apparently they found a solution. I'd return the tips to your vendor with an explanation of the problem, make them get their process under control.

SpiderMan

Leviathan
09-16-2004, 11:39 AM
Yes, Spiderman, these tips are just as you describe (sliding cake layers, each parallel to the base). I'm returning them to the vendor as you suggest. There's very little room for improvisation with a 14 mm tip and a 13 mm ferrule. I wanted to try a hard laminated tip on my break cue for a couple of pretty dumb reasons--but to heck with it: I'll just go with a Rocky.

AS