PDA

View Full Version : World pool champ battles Indonesians in exhibition

PQQLK9
09-16-2004, 03:31 PM
September 17, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

World pool champ battles Indonesians in exhibition
The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

World pool champion Alex Pagulayan of Canada promised to give his best in his exhibition matches against a number of Indonesia's top billiard players scheduled to run from Sept. 16 to Sept. 20.

"Every time I play I always try to give my best. I'm not going to fool around or whatever," Pagulayan said during a press conference at The Plaza Semanggi Gillians billiard center here on Thursday.

26-year-old Pagulayan, a Filipine-born Canadian, became the world champion after beating Chang Pei-wei of Chinese Taipei in the World 9-ball Pool Championship in Taipei in July.

He was scheduled to begin his exhibition match against Adam Abdurrahim, the 9-ball gold medalist at the recent National Games, at the Bengkel Cafe, Jakarta, on Thursday at midnight.

His next opponents will be Jimmy Jusman at Gillians on Friday, Seaw Wieto in Bandung on Saturday, Yudharman in Bali on Sunday and a winner of the qualifying match in Yogyakarta on Monday.

While staving off questions about the appearance fee paid Pagulayan, Sendi Sugiharto, from the organizing committee, said they would provide Rp 10 million to any victorious Indonesian.

"We hope the cash prizes can motivate our players to beat the world champion," Sendi said.

The arrival of Pagulayan is also expected to give extra motivation to local pool players ahead of the A Mild Billiard Cup grand final on Sept. 25-26.

Thirty-two players will play in the final at the Berlian billiard center in South Jakarta. The fixed list of entries in the final will be known after competition in the seventh series, scheduled for Sept. 22-24, is completed.

"We hope the next champion of the A Mild grand final will prove himself that he can challenge the world," Putera Astaman, the chairman of the Indonesian Billiard and Snooker Championship (POBSI) said.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailsports.asp?fileid=20040917.H01&irec=0

Wally_in_Cincy
09-17-2004, 05:41 AM
Hopefully he will be recuperated from the US Open by then. He was partying hard after his elimination.

During the final, I think it was the first or second game, Hohmann scratched on the 8 ball. Owen took BIH and sunk the 9. There a smattering of polite applause, since nobody wanted to rub it in Hohmann's face.

Alex, who had been outside on the patio drinking all day, had sneaked in beside the bleachers. He hollered "Nice out Gabe" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. Everybody in the place, including Gabe, cracked up.

Deeman2
09-17-2004, 05:59 AM
Wally,

Nice Story. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman

Wally_in_Cincy
09-17-2004, 06:13 AM
Deeman, Alex is one hilarious guy. Looking back on it I probably would have had a great time just sitting on the patio buying him beers.

Deeman2
09-17-2004, 08:27 AM
Unfortunately, I have to keep an eye on Alex as my wife thinks he's the cutest thing since sliced bread. At the Expo in PA. she hung around him like he was a rock star. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

He does seem to be very personable and I do like the easy way he takes things. It doesn't hurt that shoots killer nine ball.

Deeman

PQQLK9
09-20-2004, 11:03 AM
Entertaining Pagulayan beats Tony in exhibition match
Musthofid, The Jakarta Post/Bali

World 9-ball pool champion Alex Pagulayan put on an entertaining display of his skills to beat National Games gold medalist Tony Cahaya Putra in one stop on his exhibition match tour here on Sunday.

Pagulayan, who clinched the world championship title in Taiwan in July, beat Tony 3-2 at the Paradiso Bowling and Billiard Center in Kuta, one of the tourist hub's on the island.

The 26-year-old Canadian trailed 2-1 in the first three frames after Tony managed to pocket the 9-ball halfway through the third frame.

The next frames testified to Pagulayan's enthralling skill to leave Tony stuck to his chair. He coolly made a jump shot in the fourth frame to the cheers and claps from scores of spectators before going on to a rout in the fifth to seal victory.

"Sorry, man," Pagulayan quipped at Tony, who broke into a grin, at the end of the game.

Tony praised his opponent. "He has a great deal of confidence when playing," said Tony, who was picked to replace Yudharman, his partner in winning the gold medal in the 9-ball event at the recent National Games in Palembang, South Sumatra.

Yudharman, according to the organizing committee, had not been able to attend due to a family emergency.

The Bali match was Pagulayan's third stop since Thursday after Jakarta and Bandung.

He played three times in Jakarta. He defeated Adam Abdurrahim, also a gold medalist in Palembang, with a crushing 5-0 win. He lost to Jimmy Jusman 3-2 before taking a 4-1 win over Edy Hartono.

He faced tough opposition in Bandung and escaped with a 7-6 win over Siaw Wieto.

"Apart from his remarkable confidence, Pagulayan has an outstanding fighting spirit and a quality of play that not many people possess," said Edy.

"His strokes are just outstanding, and he plays pool to entertain people," he said.

Pagulayan's tour is expected to provide extra motivation to local Indonesian players ahead of the upcoming A Mild Cup grand final, scheduled for Sept. 25-26 in Jakarta.

"With a world caliber player like Pagulayan, we are hoping to encourage the development of Indonesian pool," said Mohammad Mirza, a member of the organizing committee.

Pagulayan will make his last stop in Yogyakarta on Monday, where he will not only take on a local amateur but also hold a coaching clinic.
http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailsports.asp?fileid=20040920.I01&irec=0