PDA

View Full Version : My brain hurts

pooljunkie73
09-17-2004, 04:16 PM
Well i've been back to school for 2 weeks now, after a small decade long summer vaction. Between ICP/IP, HTTP, NTFS, HTML, OSI, IEEE, MCSE and all the rest of my Network/security course, I think my head is going to explode. In all honesty I am so happy to be moving forward on my career path. I kick my butt for not going back sooner, oh well. Only another 10 months till graduation...LMAO.

Kent Mc.

Barbara
09-17-2004, 04:34 PM
Kent,

Keep up your drills and don't let your schooling get in the way of your practice!! Or, give it up and make a decision to regain your full time practice afterwards and set a date!!

I got burnt out two summers ago with an 8-week speed course on TCP/IP networking that screwed me and my tour schedule. I still wake up with nightmares -- the shot or a socket??? Whaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Barbara

Damn!1

Tom_In_Cincy
09-17-2004, 05:39 PM
Way too much time on your hands Barbara. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've been working in networking since Bell was a baby.

I can still calculate subnets in my head. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
MPLS, EIGRP, Layer3 Switches, Fiber and Copper Gigabit. Working with Sprint, MCI, AT&T and Local carriers, training their folks how to correctly test those damn circuits before we connect them to our routers.

Sometimes I still dream about x.25 and IBM's SDLC /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

eg8r
09-17-2004, 09:06 PM
Wow, I slept my way through the few hardware/networking classes I had to take. BORING!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Does anyone know if any universities have any security curriculum(sp?)? The University of Dallas has a Network Security program but it was the first I had seen. This is an interesting field to me, however very little is taught in school. Seems to be on the job training.

eg8r

Tom_In_Cincy
09-17-2004, 09:35 PM
I got most of my training attending Cisco academies.
There are a number of Cisco authorized training sites that offer accredication and also certification. Just do a search on Cisco training.

highsea
09-18-2004, 03:59 AM
Bahahahaha! You think your brain hurts now!

Hey Kent.

If anyone asks you which layer a print command comes from, just tell them your friend Casey said the session layer (like anyone should even know that). /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

But I wouldn't worry too much about OSI layers, just get through the basics. Then focus on messaging. This is what CEO's and CFO's live and die on. And they're gonna be the ones signing the checks.

Messaging is all-important, both to the boss-man, and to you. Give them a unified messaging solution, and you are golden.

Make sure these guys teach you how to rebuild an Exchange database. If they don't teach you, PM me, cause you'll need it. And don't take a core OS under Win2003 on your MCSE.

Good luck my friend, It's a tough business to be in these days.

-CM

Barbara
09-18-2004, 06:24 AM
Super geek alert!!!

Barbara

highsea
09-18-2004, 08:34 AM
The problem with universities is the pace. They're fine for basic CS undergrad stuff, but they can't stay current, they just don't have the budget.

I stopped chasing certs about 12 years ago. A guy could easily spend 30K a year just staying current with Microsoft, Cisco, and Novell. It's just not worth it unless you are running a consulting business and have a stable of donkeys to send out on the mundane jobs.

pooljunkie73
09-18-2004, 10:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> Make sure these guys teach you how to rebuild an Exchange database. If they don't teach you, PM me, cause you'll need it. And don't take a core OS under Win2003 on your MCSE.

Good luck my friend, It's a tough business to be in these days.

-CM <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for all your advice, CM. LOL....Trust me, if I need any help with things you will be the first one to get a PM. Things get a little "dry" at times, they will be doing a lecture on OSI and you can feel your eyes crossing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Eventually I want to go into the security side of things, either doing administration or ethical hacking. Still a long ways to go before that though.

Kent Mc.

cueball1950
09-19-2004, 12:47 AM
brain...what is that. i never have headaches so maybe i don't have a brain. interesting question to ask my self. maybe i can get 2 brains so that they can look for each other....hhhmmmmmmmm...good idea. where can i buy a couple??????????????????????????????.......mike

Sid_Vicious
09-19-2004, 11:21 AM
I made MCSE back in 1998 at SMU in Dallas, Exchange being the final test...$20K later and there was no jobs except for contract, which meant quitting a solid job with benefits. The missing of a move into the IT world was the best result I could have hoped for because, how can I put it, "Networking is over rated and under appreciated." I'd be up sh!t creek now if anything had developed, unemployed, broke and out of my home.

Good luck in your venture, and I truly hope you have either an insided track for a job or better yet, experience. I'm not impressed when I look behind me and see all those MS books, cuz corporate America is shedding it's liking for rewarding information technology people. Windows ME and 2000 made networking too easy to manage, too easy to add and manage domains, it's just not what it was cracked up to be. I was on cloud nine passing Exchange on the first pass though...sid~~~still paying off my loan, and for what!?