PDA

View Full Version : Predator 314, 9 year old 12 splice!!!

Pied Piper
09-18-2004, 07:31 AM
At local pool hall, that manager there, Has an all black cue with an old predator 314 12 splice shaft. YES TWELVE SPLICE i had to count the damn thing. I was speaking with some predator fanatics, and they were telling me how predator back in the day, about 9+ years ago were making twelve splice shafts. The butt of his cue, is a Joss butt made for predator, unlike today, i believe Falcon cues fabricates some of them for predator now. IT has a small white 314 logo on it's butt. I have played with this cue often and is AMAZING, I can really feel the difference. I bought a blemished shaft, one of there specials about a year ago, it is the standard 10 splice 314. Does anyone out there know anyone who either has, or is looking to sell, or can make, a 12 splice predator shaft/entire cue?? Has anyone else seen these things?? Has anyone heard of these things? I counted the splicing, and there is twelve so i know im not crazy!! Any help or just insight would be great.

Troy
09-18-2004, 07:43 AM
Yes, the first year or so Predator had 12 splices. I'm not sure why they went to 10 or exactly when.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pied Piper:</font><hr> At local pool hall, that manager there, Has an all black cue with an old predator 314 12 splice shaft. YES TWELVE SPLICE i had to count the damn thing. I was speaking with some predator fanatics, and they were telling me how predator back in the day, about 9+ years ago were making twelve splice shafts. The butt of his cue, is a Joss butt made for predator, unlike today, i believe Falcon cues fabricates some of them for predator now. IT has a small white 314 logo on it's butt. I have played with this cue often and is AMAZING, I can really feel the difference. I bought a blemished shaft, one of there specials about a year ago, it is the standard 10 splice 314. Does anyone out there know anyone who either has, or is looking to sell, or can make, a 12 splice predator shaft/entire cue?? Has anyone else seen these things?? Has anyone heard of these things? I counted the splicing, and there is twelve so i know im not crazy!! Any help or just insight would be great. <hr /></blockquote>

sneakypapi
09-21-2004, 09:43 PM
I am no Predator expert, but can tell you a few interesting things about Predator. First, when they started the first shafts produced were only 1 piece not the multiple pieces that came later. I believe during the development phases they started to experiment with multiple spliced shafts including 12 pieces. Also, as I remember some of the first shafts had a 1 inch ferrule (now it is 3/4 inch)standard.

Paul_Mon
09-22-2004, 03:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> Yes, the first year or so Predator had 12 splices. I'm not sure why they went to 10 or exactly when.

Troy

Troy,
IIRC, they went from 12 splice to 6 splice before finally settling in on the 10 splice. All of the early shafts had a 1" long ferrule. I purchased my first 314 in January of 1996 and it was a 10 splice with 1" ferrule. Around 1998 they switched to the shorter 3/4" ferrule. Shane Sinnot, formerly of Clawson Cues (314), still posts occasionally over at RSB and would be the best source of any inquires.

Paul Mon