PDA

View Full Version : Authentication Of A Craig Petersen Cue?

Sid_Vicious
09-18-2004, 09:16 AM
Who would be good for getting an early Petersen cue Authenticed?

Thanks,
Sid

Pizza Bob
09-18-2004, 02:34 PM
I thought his cues had his CP trademark on the butt cap. All the Peterson's I've seen have had it - but maybe he didn't mark his early ones. Not sure who can authenticate - Hercek maybe?? Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Rip
09-18-2004, 06:24 PM
Hey Sid,
Just ship that bad boy to me and I'll authenticate it. Of course, it might take a couple of years 'cause you know you can't rush a good authentication! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Rip~believe it or not!

dg-in-centralpa
09-19-2004, 12:06 PM
Check with Mark Kalungian at classiccues.com. He is one of the best at authenticating cues.

DG

Sid_Vicious
09-19-2004, 12:25 PM
This cue is one of Craig's first 50 and has no CP, it's a unique cue with a reversed taper on the butt cap. It's not my cue, a friend who's played for 40 years or so has and knew Craig personally, has had it a long, long time. Thanks, Sid

BANKS77
06-26-2005, 07:38 AM
Inlight of the fact that Craig Peterson along with Gus Szamboti and George Bablabuska were just named as the top three cuemakers of all time I'll answer this ( a little late). I've seen several of Craig's cues without the logo, especially the Hoppe's, and they were from his last crop in the early 90s. I even had two made in 91 without the logo (my request). I lived just two miles from Craig's shop in Addison IL and visited him a few times. Few people knew that he had made blanks for many of the greats including Gus Szamboti. I even think he was making fancy blanks for Tim Scruggs back in 91 just before his move to Indiana. If you had seen the size of his small shop, and his single lathe then you knew he was a true master. He left us much too young.

BANKS77
06-26-2005, 07:44 AM
I forgot to add that I've played with all three and most Peterson cues hit much better than a Szamboti or Balabushka. I still play with mine today.

Popcorn
06-26-2005, 02:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BANKS77:</font><hr> Inlight of the fact that Craig Peterson along with Gus Szamboti and George Bablabuska were just named as the top three cuemakers of all time <hr /></blockquote>

By who?

Barry
06-26-2005, 05:45 PM
With no offense to Craig Peterson, who I respected, he never made points for my Dad.

Barry Szamboti

Barbara
06-27-2005, 06:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barry:</font><hr> With no offense to Craig Peterson, who I respected, he never made points for my Dad.

Barry Szamboti <hr /></blockquote>

Thank you!

I was going to call your attention to that post today.

Barbara

1pRoscoe
06-27-2005, 06:57 AM
I was thinking the same, but was unsure. Thank you for posting, Barry!

LARRY_BOY
06-27-2005, 08:23 AM
Got picture?

SpiderMan
06-27-2005, 08:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BANKS77:</font><hr> Inlight of the fact that Craig Peterson along with Gus Szamboti and George Bablabuska were just named as the top three cuemakers of all time I'll answer this ( a little late). I've seen several of Craig's cues without the logo, especially the Hoppe's, and they were from his last crop in the early 90s. I even had two made in 91 without the logo (my request). I lived just two miles from Craig's shop in Addison IL and visited him a few times. Few people knew that he had made blanks for many of the greats including Gus Szamboti. I even think he was making fancy blanks for Tim Scruggs back in 91 just before his move to Indiana. If you had seen the size of his small shop, and his single lathe then you knew he was a true master. He left us much too young. <hr /></blockquote>

I expected Sid to jump in here, but in his absense I'll note that I have also known the owner (of the cue in question) since about 1989. On several occasions he said to me that this cue had been in his possession for many years, and I believe he may have mentioned it being from the '70s.

If this is a correct age, would that alter your assessment?

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
06-27-2005, 09:16 AM
This cue was one of the first 50 Craig made, and it was not emblemed like his latter made cues. I'd forgotten about the post until it came back to the top again. Thanks all...sid

dave
06-30-2005, 03:56 PM
Joel Hercek was a collector and dealer before turning to cue making. I had a Peterson which I sold him a number of years back and I found him fair and honest.

dave
06-30-2005, 03:59 PM
joel@hercek.com