PDA

View Full Version : "Quiet Pool"

Sid_Vicious
09-19-2004, 12:57 PM
I had an experience this morning at Petty's Pool Hall, awoke to Mr. Rooster crowing "It's time to get your a$$ outta bed" which was way before any human should be getting up ;-) Well, I sauntered downstairs from the Penthouse, daylight was dim and everyone else was sleeping, the Diamond was calling me with a lone OB perched there in the shadows, so I naturally had to shoot it, but I felt a need to play REAL quiet, and shot extreme slow, pocket speed, played for maybe 45 minutes like that, quiet. You know what? You can really get your game into another level by shooting drop pocket speed, no stroke with speed, just "click-roll-plop" shots, all done with no lights, no sound and with an intent of being quiet. In a way it was a zone of it's own...anybody ever played this way???sid

JDB
09-19-2004, 08:19 PM
Yep, right up until the time I needed position.

Rod
09-19-2004, 09:00 PM
Sid,

Sometimes when I warm up I do a drill that's similar. I'll shoot 7 or 8 balls to one corner, then finish out the rack to the other corner. It's not difficult except I don't touch the side rail making the ball. I'm trying to dial in slow movement at first and exact aim.

What will happen most times I'll hit the cut to the left perfect and shooting to the right to the other corner I'll tend to hit some a little fat. I'll shoot two or three racks that way at slow speed. It really helps.

Too often we whack balls way to hard at first. For me It's just a primer of cordinating small motions to help rythum when more power is used. Here's the shot I'm talking about I put the o/b 1 ball width from the rail -- START(
%AP3E3%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM8P2%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%PH5G2

)END

After a little while you can put some zip in the stroke. Making these in game situations becomes easy. It really will improve your aim, just don't touch the side rail.

Penthouse eh? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rod

cycopath
09-19-2004, 09:07 PM
I really have to play at that place one day.

Tom_In_Cincy
09-19-2004, 09:27 PM
My normal routine on Sunday mornings is to wake up early enough to get to the pool hall and have some quiet time at the table. Usually there is only the employees and maybe one other player. It is very quiet, a cup of coffee and a table. No juke box, no kids, no distractions from the quiet.

I do drills, read some of the pool mags I'm behind on, work on the shot that cost me a game or a match. I have maybe 2 hours of this 'quiet time' that I cherish. Wether it is pocket speed or that damn shot, I am alone with the table. I think about this quiet time when I compete. I am convinced it keeps me calm when I play.
I enjoy this time as much as anytime at the pool table.

Dagwood
09-20-2004, 12:58 PM
Everyonce in a while, me and my buddy Pat play "mum pool". basically, we shoot pool w/o saying a single word to one another, or to anyone else around the table. If we need to communicate, it's done by hand signals. Congrats are done by tapping the butt of your cue on the floor a couple of times. When we play like this it usually lasts for a few hours...the only time we say anything is when we go outside to smoke.

For me, this really helps me concentrate on the game itself. Not on any external distractions, not on anything else but what I have to do at the table. It works really well when you are doing this in a busy environment. If there are alot of people milling around you, a loud jukebox playing, and people coming up and trying to interrupt your game, it really makes you concentrate. (of course, I'm not going to be overly rude to someone if they really need to know something, but as a general rule we don't talk to other people.)

Dags