PDA

View Full Version : Phenolic tips: chalk and maintenance?

phil in sofla
09-19-2004, 01:54 PM
I got a phenolic tipped break/jump cue at the Open ($60, a steal, thanks to Ross alerting me!). The tip is pre-shaped at a dime's radius, and seemed to be pre-chalked blue. I've been using chalk on it to break, and it's been working great, hitting a ton!

Is chalk necessary, and/or helpful for breaking with this, and how about for jumping (which I haven't been doing, but plan to learn)? What maintenance if any is there to do on phenolic tips? (Obviously, you don't pik them, and probably don't rough them up, or do you?).

Rich R.
09-19-2004, 02:02 PM
Chalk is a must and a good smooth break stroke is more important.
There is not much else you can do with the phenolic tips.

ras314
09-19-2004, 03:21 PM
phil, I got one of those phenolic tipped things also, but mine was considerably higher. Anyway, it was new (no chalk) and had about a dime radius tip that looked fairly roughed up. Holds chalk fairly well.

I am amazed at how much spin you can put on the cb before miscueing. Discovered this when attempting to bank the cb straight up and down the table 5 or 6 rails. I should warn anyone else as dumb as me to be ready to grab the cb as it flyes off the back rail at your head. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

No magic breaks but don't let Chris Cass get his hands on one of these things. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

onepocketchump
09-19-2004, 04:55 PM
I used to use a TipPik to rough up the tips on the jumpers. About a year ago I stopped this and now just use chalk. The tip holds enough chalk to spin the ball as much or more as any full-leather tip in my opinion.

I spent about two hours barbecuing a UPA pro (name withheld to protect the innocent) with a Fury Jump Break cue with a phenolic tip on it. I was running out consistently with the cue and miscued abut twice in two hours. Not only did I beat the pro mercilessly, I beat the next guy who stepped up, who happened to be a contestant in the Pro Artistic Pool tournament going on that week. Neither guy could believe that someone could play pool with the phenolic tip and both came away believers after that. I have won money, won tournaments and nine out of ten league matches using my Bunjee Jump/Breaker to play with.

So the answer is, just chalk is all you need in my experience.

John

stickman
09-19-2004, 05:22 PM
I've had some new ones that were pretty smooth. After an initial roughing up with 80 grit, I normally just use chalk. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif