PDA

View Full Version : Color of Money

Rangercap
09-19-2004, 05:39 PM
I was just watching the 'Color of Money' for about the hundredth time and was interested if anyone knew who made the purple suede cue case that held Fast Eddie's 'Balabuska'. Thanks for any info.

RailbirdJAM
09-19-2004, 06:33 PM
I'm not sure about the purple suede case, but I have been told that the cue stick in the case was a Joss. Some of the other cue sticks used in the movie were McDermotts.

The "actor" who played Grady Seasons used his own personal cue stick in the filming of the movie, which at that time was a Schon. Tom Cruise was shooting with the Joss, even though they called it a "Balabushka."

Joss and McDermott "donated" the cues used in the film. I wonder if the credits at the end of the film list the companies who did donate items. The maker of that purple suede case may be listed there.

I recently saw a DVD of "The Hustler" and enjoyed the trailors, interviews with pool people, add-ons, and instructional shots that were used in the film by none other than Mike Massey himself.

Since this black-and-white movie "The Hustler" is older than TCOM, it is curious why the DVD version of TCOM doesn't have any trailors, add-ons, interviews with the actors, directors, and contributors, like "The Hustler" DVD. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

RailbirdJAM

JMD in VA
09-19-2004, 08:27 PM
Hey Girl!

In 2006, it will be the 20th Anniv for TCOM and Scorsese will probably do a nice anniv. edition of it then you know. Do some interviews and stuff like that. If my buddy still knows anyone close to Scorsese, they might know. Talk at me soon! All my best!

JMD in VA

stroker6626
11-26-2004, 08:23 AM
All in all, I was disappointed in the movie Color of Money, you cannot compare the movie to The Hustler, not even close, it's too bad, it just was not well written in my opinion.
But not quite as bad as that last movie that was made last year, I bought the cd and could not even finish watching it, imagine putting out a movie like that and thinking the public viewer will like it? Unbelievable!!

wolfdancer
11-26-2004, 10:01 AM
"imagine putting out a movie like that and thinking the public viewer will like it? Unbelievable!!"
believe it or not....some folks bought the DVD

JimS
11-27-2004, 07:48 AM
........I bought it, watched for about 30 agonizing minutes and threw it away. It was awful....just awful.

Fred Agnir
11-27-2004, 07:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> ........I bought it, watched for about 30 agonizing minutes and threw it away. It was awful....just awful. <hr /></blockquote>Are we talking about Pool Hall Junkies? I thought it was mostly terrible, but my wife (not a pool player) really enjoyed it. Well, she laughed at certain parts.

Fred &lt;~~~ must have been the Silver Spoon thing

Fred Agnir
11-27-2004, 07:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stroker6626:</font><hr> All in all, I was disappointed in the movie Color of Money, you cannot compare the movie to The Hustler, not even close, it's too bad, it just was not well written in my opinion.<hr /></blockquote>It all depends on what you're trying to get out of it. The Hustler is to straight pool as the The Color of Money is to 9-ball. Not-so-ironicaly profound.

Fred

JimS
11-27-2004, 07:57 AM
.....that would be the one....Pool Hall Dummies.

JimS
11-27-2004, 08:02 AM
I agree that The Hustler was just a better movie than TCOM.

Gleason, George C, young Newman, the old fart that played Newmans manager ...and so on. I thought it was better written, better directed,....just a better "film". (those of us in "the know" call movies "films" you know... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif...haven't you ever noticed that? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

BLACKHEART
11-27-2004, 08:13 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifSorry to disagree but I own copies of both movies &amp; like the "COLOR OF MONEY'. I especially like the sound track, of the "COLOR OF MONEY"...JER

JimS
11-27-2004, 08:19 AM
You doesn't have to agree with me to be my friend. It helps!... But it's not a prerequisite. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ives
11-27-2004, 10:46 AM
While were on the subject of movies.
There was an indy film made a couple of years ago called "Behind the Nine". Has anyone seen it yet or know when its being released to the main stream ??

woody_968
11-27-2004, 01:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifSorry to disagree but I own copies of both movies &amp; like the "COLOR OF MONEY'. I especially like the sound track, of the "COLOR OF MONEY"...JER <hr /></blockquote>

That is one of my favorite sound tracks /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

onepocketfanatic
11-27-2004, 10:07 PM
Both movies were ok, but I personally prefer to watch real matches on tape.

monkeydude20
11-27-2004, 10:40 PM
What are you talking about? The Color of Money was an awesome movie. It was responsible for causing a surge in the pool world. Thousands and thousands of pool tables were shipped to Japan and other Asian countries because of the movie. It inspired millions of people to pick up a cue. I love The Color of Money. It's by far my favorite movie.
Jk /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

justbrake
11-28-2004, 01:58 AM
I agree it was a great movie, as soon as I seen this post I watched it tonight extremly loud so I could hear it dvd's seems to play low so you have to put up the sound louder then when watching a vcr tape or TV, anyway I though it was really good but I wished it had a little more shot making as with the original one also to mention that it's been a long time from the orignal till then and can you beleive that this movie is already 18 yrs old it's time for a new one to come out.

since where on this in this post,I had seen a movie with Christopher Walken in a movie where there are con artist and dealings about diamonds and money and in this movie were some of the best billiards table shots that I have ever seen in any movie , has anybody seen it, it's probably 25 yrs old ,I don't remember the name of it can someone post it if they know it! Thanks

Brady_Behrman
11-28-2004, 10:53 PM
I suggest you call Dick Abbott from www.BilliardCue.com (http://www.BilliardCue.com) 540-772-7827

He will know

Brady

Rangercap
11-29-2004, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll send him an email. I always thought it would be cool to strut into some hall with a purple suede cue case. I currently have a 2B/2S walnut hardcase with inlays reminisent of the brunswicks of the early 20's. It gets enough attention as it is.

Rangercap