PDA

View Full Version : Newbie purchasing a table...

nWoCHRISnWo
09-19-2004, 06:57 PM
Hey, I'm a relative newbie when it comes to billiards, so I need a little advice. I don't know a whole lot about pool, and I'm not superb at it or anything, but I just love playing it.

I'm planning on buying a table pretty soon and I was just wondering what I'd have to know? I don't want to spend a ton, but I want a relatively nice table that will look and perform well. What is regulation size? Is it common for people to buy regulation size for their homes, or is a smaller table more acceptable? How much would I be looking to spend to get a decent, but not great table? Is one color of felt better than the others for any reason? Should I only go for a certain brand?

Thanks.

PQQLK9
09-19-2004, 07:14 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I would suggest you use the search function on this site to read all the revelant information in the archives concerning "tables" as this question has been discussed a million times.

Personally I have a 9ft.Olhausen with double shimmed drop pockets and covered with green Simonis 860.

JimS
09-20-2004, 05:14 AM
There is no regulation size. Tables come in 7', 8', and 9' sizes, generally. Table size will be determined by what you want and room size. Add 5' to each side of the table to get minimum room size; a 7' table will be approximately 3.5' x 7' so you will need at least 13' x 17' in your room. 7' is the size you'll see in many bars and is easier to play on.

Decide how much you can spend and shop around. The best deals are on used tables. Start looking at want ads. Start doing searches here for various topics regarding tables. Look for retailers in the yellow pages and do some shopping. Keep notes. It's a large purchase, from $1k to $5k or even more so take your time and learn. If you are close the to the Indiana/Kentuckey border then a Diamond table could be your answer as they are the newly crowned top of the line...imo.

Cloth color is a matter of taste. I prefer green because that's the traditional color but you can get high quality cloth in a plethora of colors. It's called cloth NOT felt. If a seller calls it felt you need to get the hell out of there /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Don't opt for the cheapest cloth but you probably don't need Simonis either...just a good grade of cloth.

I don't have time now to tell you more. Study and search and take your time. Look for a local player that also sets up tables, ask around, see if you might have a knowledgeable friend from the past or something.