PDA

View Full Version : Red dot cueball review

TommyT
09-19-2004, 07:10 PM
Needing a new set of balls I opted to get the superpro aramith balls with the red dot cueball. The anticipation was exciting, but after 1 hour of the red dot cueball it became boring. Anyone who can run 3 or more balls should know the affects of english and what the cueball looks like when english is applied. Save your money. It's a gimmick.
TommyT /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Nick B
09-19-2004, 08:52 PM
I hate to be snooty but...you were expecting exactly what? I really hope you needed a new set of balls and didn't just buy them for the measled cue ball.

Nick

Rod
09-19-2004, 09:07 PM
Gimmic, I suppose since it was made for fans/TV. I don't know why people buy them it's obvious what the c/b is doing without the dots.

Rod

Alfie
09-19-2004, 11:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I don't know why people buy them it's obvious what the c/b is doing without the dots.<hr /></blockquote>They are not super duper, IMO, but I would get one when I needed to buy a cue ball if it didn't cost any more than an ordinary one.

just for kicks

Billy_Bob
09-20-2004, 12:15 AM
I bought one just to be the first kid on the block with one. Other than that I saw no use for it...

But I really like the feedback I get on my shooting, especially when I goof or do the right thing. Also when I knock the cue ball down to the other end of the table.

I can see that it is still rolling backwards like it should for a draw shot or is still rolling forwards like it should for a force follow. Or that it is *not* doing what I intended.

I'm getting to where I look at the cue ball after my shot to see if it is doing what I wanted and the amount of what I wanted (spin/roll).

I wish I had one of these when I first started playing pool. I think it is an excellent training aid for beginners as well as experienced players.

ras314
09-20-2004, 06:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr>I wish I had one of these when I first started playing pool. I think it is an excellent training aid for beginners as well as experienced players.
<hr /></blockquote>
Am I the only one that used/uses a striped ball for this?

Fred Agnir
09-20-2004, 06:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TommyT:</font><hr> Save your money. It's a gimmick.
<hr /></blockquote>I'm not sure what part of it is "gimmicky" or even pretends to be. I personally love the cueball.

I personally think that you can't see with a striped ball or with a regular single dot/circle cue ball everything that a multidot cueball shows. But, this multi-dot cue ball isn't a "must have" item. But, it's a "kinda cool to have item." Kept in that perspective, it's kinda cool to have.

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
09-20-2004, 07:16 AM
Has it been estabilished that this ball is only available when purchasing an entire set? Or can it be bought separately?

Wally &lt;~~ was not paying attention /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Barbara
09-20-2004, 07:24 AM
Wally,
There have been some CBs only up on eBay, but the starting price is around $59. - ouch!!

Barbara

SnakebyteXX
09-20-2004, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There have been some CBs only up on eBay, but the starting price is around $59. - ouch!! <hr /></blockquote>

They're being offered here at a 'buy it now' price of US $44.99.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=7102614088&amp;category=21 210&amp;sspagename=rvi:1:3

Still a pretty steep price to pay but a little less painful than $59. Perhaps over time as sellers on EBay try to meet the obvious demand for this item - the price will drop even further?

I'm hoping to find one in my Christmas stocking but according to inside info - Santa has budget contraints and this $45 price tag is still out of her - I mean his - league.

Snake

Barbara
09-20-2004, 09:37 AM
Does anyone know what the pattern is for the dots on the "Measles CB"?

Barbara

shoutout33
09-20-2004, 09:39 AM
Wouldn't there be a plus to having all of those dots? I mean, it's kind of like a legit training ball in my opinion. I mean for you seansoned players I'm sure it's no big ordeal, but for us low intermediate players, to see how the dots react on the table when we're playing, that'd be a plus don't you think. (Note: haven't seen one in person yet but I'm guessing the dots are all over the ball right?)

Shoutout33&lt;---loving the idea of not having to pay for practice balls. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
09-20-2004, 09:46 AM
X 1.125, Y 0
X 0, Y 1.125
X -1.125, Y 0
X 0, Y -1.125
X0, Y0, Z 1.125
X 0, Y 0, Z -1.125

Barbara
09-20-2004, 09:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> X 1.125, Y 0
X 0, Y 1.125
X -1.125, Y 0
X 0, Y -1.125
X0, Y0, Z 1.125
X 0, Y 0, Z -1.125 <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Barbara~~~huh?

Wally_in_Cincy
09-20-2004, 09:52 AM
6 dots

4 at the intersection of each quadrant (1 at North Pole, 1 at South Pole, 2 at equator) and 2 more (1 at the center of the ball facing you and 1 at the center on the opposite side)

TommyT
09-20-2004, 09:57 AM
Like I said in my post Nick, I needed a new set of balls. I replaced my old set of super aramith's. I was expecting a cueball with six dots like I've seen at Valley Forge at the Billiards Expo. I thoght that the cueball might be a cool thing to have. From the tone of your post you seemed to be passing judgement on me. I may be a Googan but can run way more than 3 balls.
TommyT

SnakebyteXX
09-20-2004, 09:59 AM
http://img10.paintedover.com/uploads/10/dotted_ball.PNG

Looks like six equi-distant spots? Wondering if you couldn't make a cheap homemade version with the proper red paint/marker?

Tom_In_Cincy
09-20-2004, 10:43 AM
The poka-dot ball has been very interesting.

I saw the match between Efren and Busty last year at the US Open. The cue ball was showing that BOTH players were hitting side english the majority of the time. I didn't realize that either player used so much side in their game. It was truely (for me) an eye-opener.

I also think it is a good training aid. You might think you are hitting on the vertical axis, but this cue ball will tell you different if you're NOT.

Chris Cass
09-20-2004, 12:25 PM
Am I the only one that thinks of a sexual thing when you look at this picture?

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

woody_968
09-20-2004, 12:48 PM
I got one with my set and actually like it /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Altough I wouldnt spend 50 dollars just to get one, if I wanted one that bad I would go ahead and spend the extra to buy a full set. But I wouldnt buy the set unless I needed them /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

tateuts
09-20-2004, 12:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Am I the only one that thinks of a sexual thing when you look at this picture?

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, you are.

SPetty
09-20-2004, 12:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Am I the only one that thinks of a sexual thing when you look at this picture?<hr /></blockquote>Oh, you saw that in the reflection too? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ChrisW
09-20-2004, 01:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Am I the only one that thinks of a sexual thing when you look at this picture?
<hr /></blockquote>

Is it a boy cue ball or a girl cue ball?
I can't tell.

Chris

woody_968
09-20-2004, 02:06 PM

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

CC Im starting to get worried. If you can look at a cueball and get something sexual out of it you may be taking your "love of the game" a bit too far /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Chris Cass
09-20-2004, 03:11 PM
BAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

C.C.~~ROTFLMAO

tateuts
09-20-2004, 03:13 PM
I had some sores that looked like that once...

Chris Cass
09-20-2004, 03:30 PM
Aw man Chris,

You've ruined it for me now. LOL

Regards,

C.C.

Tom_In_Cincy
09-20-2004, 03:34 PM
No, your not the only one, but when I have used the striped ball the room owner quickly pointed out that the chalk marks on the striped balls (if not cleaned off immediately) will effect their playablity.
At least the owner was concerned about the quality of the house balls.

I complied. And quietly cleaned the striped balls. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Alfie
09-20-2004, 11:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Does anyone know what the pattern is for the dots on the "Measles CB"?<hr /></blockquote>They correspond to the vertices of a regular octahedron, or the midpoints of the edges of a regular tetrahedron, or the centers of the faces of a cube.

http://www.goldenmeangauge.co.uk/platonic.htm

JimS
09-21-2004, 06:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Does anyone know what the pattern is for the dots on the "Measles CB"?<hr /></blockquote>They correspond to the vertices of a regular octahedron, or the midpoints of the edges of a regular tetrahedron, or the centers of the faces of a cube.

http://www.goldenmeangauge.co.uk/platonic.htm
<hr /></blockquote>

Hey now! Watch your language! This is a family website here and this sort of thing is not tolerable. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I'd like to have one but the price is just ridiculous...even for me and I'm a sucker for new toys.

But just in case they go down in price, when the newness wears off and the company is not quite so proud of them. Does it play as well as a red circle? Is the weight about the same as a red circle? If I remember correctly the Arimith blue circle is a bit heavier than the red circle and I'm wondering if this measles ball might be a bit heavier than the red circle.

ras314
09-21-2004, 08:21 AM
Most cbs I've used get as dirty as a striped ball. Neither wipe clean very easily. Exception is the red circle, it seems to have a harder smoother surface or something.