PDA

View Full Version : Michelob AmberBock World Summit of Pool

justbrake
09-20-2004, 02:14 AM
I got this email the other day and I'm not sure if this was posted yet here or not.

The 2004 Michelob AmberBock World Summit of Pool will be held at New York City’s landmark Vanderbilt Hall inside of Grand Central Terminal from September 30-October 3, 2004 and televised by ESPN. That’s right, Grand Central Terminal will become New York’s biggest pool room for a week.

We encourage you to make some time on your schedule to stop by and support this great event and show the world on ESPN that New York is the billiard capital of the world. Tickets are available by calling 1-800 595-4TIX (595-4849) or by visiting www.tix.com. (http://www.tix.com.) Tickets will also be available on site on the days of the event.

Players from around the world including Johnny Archer, Charlie Williams, Mika Immonen and our own Tony Robles will be competing for $50,000 in prize money, as well as the most prestigious championship on the UPA Tour. There will be seven sessions over the four days, culminating with the championship on Sunday, October 3 which will be televised on ESPN.

Without question Vanderbilt Hall will be the most spectacular setting ever for a billiards tournament. The event has the top players, the top sports network and an unbelievable facility to showcase it all in front of New York fans.

In addition to the tourney, expo-style displays throughout Vanderbilt Hall will feature top custom cue manufacturers represented by the American Cuemakers Association and other top manufacturers.

9 Ball Girl
09-20-2004, 09:37 AM
I'm going to be helping out at this tournament too. I'll be there on the weekend at 8AM! Yikes!

So who else is going?

PQQLK9
09-20-2004, 09:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> I'm going to be helping out at this tournament too. I'll be there on the weekend at 8AM! Yikes!

So who else is going? <hr /></blockquote>
BILLIARDS

Taking his cue

September 19, 2004

Joey Korsiak doesn't need to look at the initials tattooed on the left side of his chest to know who he is: He's known that since the age of 12.

He's "JK," for "Joey K," the pool pro, racking up wins and winnings at tournaments, including a hoped-for victory at the World Summit of Pool at Grand Central Terminal on Sept. 30, when he competes as one of 64 players over four days.

Of course, spectators don't get to see the black "JK" he got a year and a half ago - besides, it's more important, he says, that they see what's outside his shirt: the patches promoting his sponsor, the Seminole Tribe of Florida, which agreed to support him after he met some of their members when he briefly lived and played in Florida.

The 24-year-old North Babylon resident is also the house pro at New York Billiards Club in Oakdale.

He turned pro less than three years ago, and even hired a manager, Geoff Conway, yet Korsiak's been on tour, in a sense, almost since age 12. An athlete in junior high school, he started playing pool as part of his sports repertoire, going to a Deer Park billiard parlor. Then, after quitting North Babylon High School in 11th grade, he picked up a cue stick full time for a living.

That move did not sit well with his father, a retired city cop, and Korsiak moved in with his older brother, Tommy, his former pool partner.

But he did well, he said. "From the time I was 12 until now, I've made $500,000," he said, adding that much of it went to youthful spending.

At Grand Central, before ESPN's cameras for four days, he will join an international contingent of competitors vying for $50,000 in prize money on the United States Professional Pool Players Association tour.

This time, however, someone new will be watching him who needn't ask what the initials stand for - because that spectator, Robert Korsiak, at last understands what his son Joey has always stood for.

"He didn't like my career choice when I first started playing pool," said Joey Korsiak, who acknowledges years of father-son tension that followed. "Now he has seen how I play. ... He sees how hard I have worked all these years, that I stand up for what I believe in and I'm my own man.

"So now my dad will see me play for the first time. Really play."

Joey Korsiak doesn't need to look at the initials tattooed on the left side of his chest to know who he is: He's known that since the age of 12.

He's "JK," for "Joey K," the pool pro, racking up wins and winnings at tournaments, including a hoped-for victory at the World Summit of Pool at Grand Central Terminal on Sept. 30, when he competes as one of 64 players over four days.

9 Ball Girl
09-20-2004, 11:41 AM
So does that mean that you're going? J/K That's for just kidding. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nice article. Where'd you find it?

PQQLK9
09-20-2004, 12:31 PM
www.nynewsday.com (http://www.nynewsday.com) I tried to post the link to the page but it would not work. I wish I could be there. Please keep us informed.

justbrake
09-29-2004, 06:32 AM
Special offer for Amsterdam Billiards + Bar Patrons****

$5 off any day or evening session at the Michelob AmberBock World Summit of Pool this Thursday, Friday or Saturday for AB + B patrons. Mention this email when you buy tickets at the venue and receive $5 off each ticket.