PDA

View Full Version : masse jump ...

05-14-2002, 04:57 PM
i think these shots should be fouls for the simple reason that they ruen the cloth.
as long as they are not a foul i have to practice them and the result is that i got a table with about a thousand white dots on the cloth.
what do you think ?

Tom_In_Cincy
05-14-2002, 05:09 PM
Don't practice them, parctice kicking instead. Its a lot easier to control and better for the cloth.

And.. you get the same 'spots' when you practice Jumping..

Jay M
05-14-2002, 06:48 PM
The spot that I break from has about a zillion little white spots, should we outlaw the break too?

BTW, I agree, the kick shot is more reliable unless you are using a jump rod and have put in a lot of time to learn how the thing really works.

Jay M

05-14-2002, 07:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Jay M:</font><hr> The spot that I break from has about a zillion little white spots, should we outlaw the break too?

BTW, I agree, the kick shot is more reliable unless you are using a jump rod and have put in a lot of time to learn how the thing really works.

Jay M <hr></blockquote>

being the proud owner of some 50ish sq.ft. of white spotted simonis, i say "who cares? still plays the same." it's going to get spots anyway.

also, it's part of the game; accept it.

also, i've practiced my ass off with the bunjee and i'm nearly 100% on hits and 60-70% on makes. i'm gettin real hard to safe.

dan

rackmup
05-14-2002, 08:51 PM
Do you use the Bungee "Dart Style" or do you hold it the "conventional" way?

Also...for practicing jumps...just lay a little piece of billiard cloth down on the area where you wish to place the cueball.

Regards,

Ken

05-14-2002, 09:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> Do you use the Bungee "Dart Style" or do you hold it the "conventional" way?

Also...for practicing jumps...just lay a little piece of billiard cloth down on the area where you wish to place the cueball.

Regards,

Ken <hr></blockquote>

depends on the length of the jump. for short to mid range it's all dart/speer-fishin style. i've even got to just using thumb and first finger and chokin-up (down?) on the cueette. throw, or flick really, the cue at it and let it do the work. on long table shots with the cb several inches behind the obstruction, i'll go underhand and put some arm into it. i'm usually better at the flick and stay with that if i can. i'm learning how to put draw, follow, left and right on the ball while still getting over the interposed ball. by the way, i'm now using the bungee for masse shots and, although i gettin some unwanted jumps, i'm also gettin about the spin/comeback i want. kewl stuff.

point 2: i've got simonis doilies but i just don't use them. really, it'll change the jump dynamic. i never, ever, get the cue tip into the cloth. not even close. (got 3 "picks" in the cloth where friends have)

dan...been barred in one league from using the shortie.

rackmup
05-14-2002, 09:50 PM
I cannot get the hang of the DART technique (I miss the damned ball or miscue badly.) I am very effective with the typical style of jumping to within one ball width. I know I need to master the DART style for the really short jumps that require the ball to get up quickly.

Any hints?

Ken

05-14-2002, 10:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> I cannot get the hang of the DART technique (I miss the damned ball or miscue badly.) I am very effective with the typical style of jumping to within one ball width. I know I need to master the DART style for the really short jumps that require the ball to get up quickly.

Any hints?

Ken <hr></blockquote>

we're opposite. if you've got your underhand jump at 1 ball distance working real well then you should be giving me advice.

the only thing that comes to mind is that the dart is a pure "look at the c.b. last" shot. no way around it. also, i think i'm using a whole less power on the dart jump than on the underhand. plus, my bragging notwithstanding, a lot of my jumps are hit and shape rather than hit and make.

what kind of cloth are you usually on doin this? i seem to be better at simonis than fluffy stuff. somewhat. i think?

dan

stickman
05-14-2002, 10:21 PM
I'm sure praticing your a$$ off is what it takes. I managed to jump a couple of balls with the right equipment and some professional help. It looks a lot easier when someone who knows what they're doing does it. Getting to the point where you can make balls and induce draw, follow, or side spin must take considerable time. Congratulations. Once I get my own table, I'd like to try to master the art.

Rod
05-15-2002, 01:22 AM
Well they have been around forever. Jump shots just got a new birth with the jump cue. It ain't going away anytime soon so you might as well get use to it. I agree with some others, practice and play kicks, its better to know your way around the table. BTW jump shots do have there place.
You can shoot 1/4 ball jumps fairly easy with your regular cue. It does come in handy.

Jay M
05-15-2002, 07:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>being the proud owner of some 50ish sq.ft. of white spotted simonis, i say "who cares? still plays the same." it's going to get spots anyway. <hr></blockquote>

That was my point
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>
also, i've practiced my ass off with the bunjee and i'm nearly 100% on hits and 60-70% on makes. i'm gettin real hard to safe.
<hr></blockquote>

I don't like the bungee personally. I spent literally hundreds of hours getting my jump shot down with my playing cue. I can get over a ball that is about 6" away from the cue with whatever type of spin I need. When I choose a jump shot, I am better than 95% to hit it, 90% to execute the desired shot (whether a make or a safe of some kind) and about 80% to get the desired leave after executing the shot. At the risk of starting the "to bungee or not to bungee" argument again, I don't think the bungee should have a place in the game.

As to the cloth and whether a ball will jump or not, the thicker the cloth is, whether from the cloth itself or padding under the cloth, the harder it is to jump a ball. You need to be able to pinch the cue ball between the slate and your cue, the cloth interferes with the shot.

Jay M

05-15-2002, 07:43 AM
how can you put follow on a jump shot?
draw and sidespin is normal but follow? even a stunshot seems almost impossible to me ( unless with anough distance so the cloth gets the draw off )