PDA

View Full Version : kicks

05-14-2002, 05:07 PM
this is what its called in snooker im not sure in pool ...
its when you get more throw then usual and it ruens the shot.
they dont seem to know what the cause of it is but i think its obvious that it is chalk...
i just tried on my table, i chalcked a ball partly and placed it in cluster with another ball aimed directly at the pocket at about 6 foot distance.
I shot the first ball at about 45 degree angle at about 10mph and i missed the pocket by about 2 feet.

So what happens in a kick is you hit the cueball chalk sticks on it and the part of the ball with the chalk happens to contact the other ball and you lose ...
even those light blue spots on the ball from many shots before still add a lot resistance on the ball and also increase the throw anough to miss the shot and mess up possition.

So i think something should be done about this, only thing i see possible right now is making a rule for it: whenever you get a kick you replace the balls and play over, seems fair to me.
But ofcource this would have a lot of discussions :-)

only other way is to use a material balls or chalk or whatever so it doesnt keep sticking on the balls or have cuetips that can be used without chalk.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-14-2002, 05:14 PM
Chalk does do crazy things to ball contact.
Have you ever made a mark on the table cloth for what ever reason?
Next time at the table make the mark.. then take the cue ball in hand and rub it across the chalk mark.. you'll feel the difference from no chalk to chalk.. huge difference.. eh?

The same thing can happen when the cue ball strikes the object ball and the object ball has a small pit in it..at the exact place of contat, this can cause the ob to travel in a very undisirable path..

Rod
05-15-2002, 12:37 AM
Malcolm, it happens quite a lot in pool, more so than people realize. It's even worst when the cloth is new. I did notice in the Snooker World championships that the ref
has a marker for the object ball, and sometimes wipes it off before the player shoots. That cling effect would cause a miss buy a large amount on a 12 foot table.

Doctor_D
05-15-2002, 06:46 AM
Good morning:

Friction; whether it is caused by chalk, dirt, dust, debris or any other substance, will have an adverse effect on how an object ball will travel.

Dr. D.

Patrick
05-15-2002, 01:46 PM
It happens much more often in snooker than in pool because snooker players rarely use sidespin.
I don't understand why they don't shoot in a way to avoid the kick, don't they know how the cueball rotates??
They just play with feel, it is their fault when they get the kick.

If there would be a rule to shoot again when you get a kick, then it would be unfair if a better player knows how to avoid all kicks and another one that plays with feel who always kicks and gets another chance.

Patrick