PDA

View Full Version : Pool Table Comparisons

Bubbabob
09-21-2004, 08:51 AM
I am trying to purchase a table in the $2,000 to $2,400 range, possibly to include a package deal (chairs, table, wall rack). I am looking at the Connelly (Catalina), USA (Sierra), American Heritage (Boston), Camelot (CS120) , Brunswick (Brookstone) and now the Proline (Kingsbury). I have gone to many stores and heard all the sales pitches and have read everything I can on the web including the BCA site.

QUESTION: What is the best brand out there for the money and why?

BooBoo
09-22-2004, 10:26 AM
Are you shopping for something that you want to be happy with for a long time , or are you shopping for something because you got a good deal. Purchasing a quality pool table is buying something, if taken care of, will probably last longer than you. I guess the point I am trying to make is that for 1 or 2 hundred dollar difference is pretty insignificant over the long haul if you got something you really wanted. The main thing is to get what you like and be satistified that you did your homework and got a quality table.

Bubbabob
09-22-2004, 10:43 AM
I plan to have the table 15 yrs or so. Have researched them all. Now trying to find out if anyone out there has a preference / and why and if anyone has had a bad experience with any of the brands/models I have mentioned and what it was. All are close to BCA standards. If I had to pick two to compare they would be the USA (Sierra) and the Proline (Kingsbury). USA sells their tables online http://www.pooltablesusa.com/default.asp

Elaine
11-08-2004, 06:05 PM
I too am shopping and want to spend 2-3K -preferably low end of $2000 - but am finding that you get more when you spend closer to $3K - I am confused too....looked at Artisan - low 2 range, looked at Olhausen - high 2K, looked at Connelly, high 3's - I want a peice of furniture and a good talbe that will last - I hear Brunswick are not as good as they were 30/40 years ago and you are paying for a name. The site you refers to carries the brand that Costco sells - they are all imports I am told and not the best of tables? Costco table are not cheap, they include return shipping chgs as customers can rtn them if they change their minds. I am staying away from Costco. I like Connelly tables but they are pricey - and also I heard they recently filed Chapter 11.
Any advice would be appreciated
Elaine

PQQLK9
11-08-2004, 06:21 PM
As this question comes up often I would suggest you do a search on tabels in this forum.
Personally I have a 9ft. Olhausen covered with Simonis 860.
Good luck in your search.

Angel_R
11-08-2004, 08:15 PM
I bought a used Peter Vitalie about three months ago. I like the table alot and have no idea how old the table is, but could probably find out with a little effort. It is a 9ft table and I like it very much. If it wasn't for the fact I got a great deal on it, I may have thought more of purchasing a 8ft table, but no regrets. They have a website that you can visit. The few pool table people I have spoken to have said this is a great well built table. Check out this website www.vitalie-manufacturing.com (http://www.vitalie-manufacturing.com) If I can figure how to attach a picture of it I will.
Well so much for that!

good luck in your choice!

Wally_in_Cincy
11-09-2004, 06:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Elaine:</font><hr>

...looked at Olhausen - high 2K, looked at Connelly, high 3's - ...
<hr /></blockquote>

Olhausen, Connely, Kasson are all good tables. Don't buy anything imported from China.

Where are you located?

ragin1
11-09-2004, 08:26 AM
I also purchased a Vitalie about 3 mths ago. It's an 8' Virtu. All hardwood, 1" 3p slates. $300 from a guy on ebay. We put new rails and championship 30/30 cloth on it. No complaints here. It really plays well. Our house is big enough for 2 tables. My next purchase will be a Gold Crown in a few years.

Ives
11-09-2004, 10:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ragin1:</font><hr> Our house is big enough for 2 tables. My next purchase will be a Gold Crown in a few years. <hr /></blockquote>

2 tables would be awesome, a bar table and a 9 footer would be ideal.

trailboss
11-09-2004, 10:42 AM
I have an AMF 8 footer that plays very well. It is level and bank shots are right on compared to my buddies Gold Crown. I am not saying it plays as good as a Gold Crown but, not bad at all. I have the table mechanic to really thank, he has been with the dealer for 12 years and really worked very, very hard to make sure the table was absolutely level, level, level! After two years it is still level and plays good! Hope this helps!

Elaine
11-09-2004, 11:03 AM
I am in Simi Valley (home of the Ronald Reagan Library)
California.
Do you know of any good dealers of tables?
I have been to PTS and Valley Tables.
I like the Connelly tables - I can play pool, grew up in a pub in England so I know how to play but am not what you'd call an avid player. I want the talbe to have a nice gameroom and to keep my 3 boys home more. The Connelly table looks very well made - it is higher than the Olhausen though and I didn't want to go over $3K.
Elaine

ragin1
11-09-2004, 11:17 AM
I've just recently began shooting seriously in the last yr or so. My wife and I bought our house in 97. She has been my, should I say instigator. She talked nonstop about aquiring a pool table. I have much to work on in our old house (1915). She would call me to the puter to look at every pool table under the sun. Wasn't interested. Wasn't worth the time of effort. Then she talked me into an 8ball legue. I began learning the game for the first time. I'm 44. Been shooting for beers since, well a long time ago. When the Vitalie came on ebay and nobody bid, I gave in to her whim. It's not a true furniture model and it's not a peice of junk. Looks good, and rolls true.

Back to the barbox league. We shoot 2 dif Yankee Club teams out of York Pa. The girls on my team bitch and moan about the 9 footers. They're Gold Crowns and all 4 of em are the best damn tables I've ever been on. They were recovered in June of this yr and I fell in love with them right away, even with the old cloth.

When the rec rooms done a Gold Crown will reside in the center of it. The Vitalie can remain in the front room where it is now.

Now if I can just curb my addiction to purchasing every damn pool cue I see.

SPetty
11-09-2004, 11:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ives:</font><hr>2 tables would be awesome, a bar table and a 9 footer would be ideal. <hr /></blockquote>Kinda like this?
http://www.pettypoint.com/poolhall/091804/pic10.jpg
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

gungadin
11-09-2004, 12:15 PM
I'm not sure where you live, but I recently made a purchase for a Brunswick in the Philly area from Patio.com. Because they're such a large dealer (close to highest volume in the country) they are able to make better deals. i was able to get the table, spectator chair (normally 600-800), racks, balls, 5 cues, lifetime warranty, etc, for about 3200. I bought the Highlander table, which isn't the top of the line, but it's not the bottom, either. It lists for over 4k by itself. I'm also likely to be able to get service wherever I need to move, which was another factor. I'd try for a dealer with larger volume for price, but a brand you can get service from when necessary (like for moving).

Deeman2
11-09-2004, 12:47 PM
OOOH yea, Baby...that's the set-up. But could you get that Deeman to get out of the background and, oh, well....I miss PettyPoint...but not for long.

HallofFame
11-09-2004, 12:54 PM
Hi Bubba,

Ebay has two Brunswick Medalist's right now.

One in Kansas City, bid now is $300

One in Pomona, NY; bid now is $600. At least it looks like a Medalist from the leg assembly, I don't see a Medalist plaque on the head rail so I could be wrong

These are nice "commercial" tables, ALL wood except for the skirts and legs. These tables will last a lifetime, the critical difference between the Medalist and Gold Crown is sold wood skirts and legs.

If you pay the extra money for an all wood (skirts and legs don't have to be wood) table you will be much happier with the table.

My advice, stay away from fiberboard / plywood tables; again, skirts and legs are exempt from having to be solid wood. Although, solid wood is heavier and more stable; but unless you are 300 pounds, leaning against the table will be no problem.

Joe

Brad
11-09-2004, 03:23 PM
Bubbabob,

Connelly - Made in Tucson, AZ - Nice company - pockets from Mexico &amp; China

USA - unfortunately made in ROC

American Heritage - now here is a real joke. They will swear up and down that they're made in America. Hogwash! But don't take my word for it, go visit them in Brunswick (no accident either), OH. Just a warehouse! These guys are pond scum.

Camelot - ROC! as in Republic of China

Brunswick - Could be China. Could be Argentina. Could be anywhere in between. Just NOT made in America. The difference here is that they've been made elsewhere for many, many years. That means their QC is way up in the last 3 years. Very well engineered, if you're willing to pay for it. You see, the other mfgs. BUY tables from China, and have China put their name on it. Brunswick actually set up shop there. Like many major manufacturers that went to China, they have their own QC and inspectors, and sourcing managers. Smaller mfgs. just buy tables from distributers. I've seen it, I know. The same tables rolling down the line over there. USA go one way, AM. Heritage go another, World of Leisure go still another. And the list goes on and on.

Ok, who's next? Oh yea, Pro Line. OUT OF BUSINESS. Got bought out by Cranford Wood Products. Still made in the US, but now called "Burly Bear", or something like that.

You may be very happy with one or many of these tables, but the deception of these mfgs. really corks me.

My advice is to list your priorities before you walk into a dealer. Are you looking for a family table that the kids can beat up? Are you looking for a quality piece of furniture for your beautiful home? Or, are you looking for a certain price point. There are a lot of variables. Most of all, you have to be comfortable with the product AND the dealer. And I think the latter is often more important. Is the dealer a swimming pool guy that offsets his non-swimming season with pool tables. I wonder what kind of mechanics they have. I wonder if he'll support you in June, when he's dealing pools. Or, is he a chain of stores that have professional salespeople that wouldn't know anymore about their product than the literature supplied by the mfg. My advice? Go to a dealer where you can speak to the owner. A guy that's been in the industry and in town for many years. A guy that has delivered thousands of pool tables in your area.

With all that said, and being an above average player myself, I have my own biases. Remember many mfgs have lower end tables that don't measure up. Here is my list of great table mfgs. in no particular order:

Brunswick
Olhausen
Diamond
A.E. Schmidt
Gabriels

Elaine
11-09-2004, 05:38 PM
I live in Simi Valley (home of Ronald Reagan library) Ventura county, Calif.
Will check out the Brunswick's further and the bigger dealers.
Thanx.
Elaine

Qtec
11-09-2004, 07:23 PM
Elaine, what youneed isone of these.

http://www.loontjens.com/isroot/Loontjens/ProductImages/pl_ClashCompetition.gif

Q

Elaine
11-09-2004, 09:43 PM
Nope....I can't say I would like that in my beautiful gameroom, 1st it has to look like furniture - not pool hall stuff....although I appreciate your intent. I want a good table that plays well, lasts well and looks great. I think I am going to take another look at Olhausen. Today I spoke with a outfit here in Calif AAABilliards.com - came recommended from a Bill Wilson thru a friend - I think Bill Wilson maybe a well known pool player??? They have some Brunswick antiques, and some used tables - but sell only Olhausen new. They told me that Brunswick is made in Brazil now, and quality of rubber on Olhausen is superior - she went on with a list and sounded very knowledgeable - not just a sales pitch. I'm going there Friday - they have been in business 30+ years - checkout the site:
www.AAABilliards.com (http://www.AAAbilliards.com)

Brad
11-10-2004, 07:00 AM
Elaine,

AAA Billiards is a good dealer. You won't be disappointed with an Olhausen. Excellent table! And still made in the US. Also, they are still family owned, and made about 150 miles south of you in Poway, just outside San Diego. Excellent facility and people. They really care about their dealers and their product. Their only knock has been the partical board slate backing. But, with 30,000 tables mfg. per year, they haven't had a problem.

Good luck with your purchase. I know you'll be very happy with an Olhausen.

Brad

ProLine
05-19-2005, 09:43 PM
ProLine is NOT out of business by any means. It is true it was sold again and is now under the legal name of Burly Bear, Inc. It is also true that the same owner now owns both Cranford Woodcarving (and its subsidiary Tree Products) and ProLine. This is no secret since we showed side-by-side at the 2005 BCA Show in Las Vegas this past April. At this time the ProLine manufacturing plant is moving to the Cranford plant in Hickory, NC where it will continue to be made proudly in the USA. The original founder of the company in 1963 is on-site in Hickory to insure that the tables he designed continue to be the very best. ProLine tables stand toe-to-toe with any other top-quality manufacturer and the new owner is committed to producing the finest quality billiard tables and game room furniture available.

bbuss
06-04-2005, 02:29 PM
I have an old 9' pool table with leather drop pockets my brother bought around 1970 for $25.00. The name plate is the same as a Brunswick table made from 1884 to 1906 except it says Rosatto barry Street Co on it.
I have always been very happy with this table except I can not find any info about it.

bbuss

cuesmith
06-04-2005, 03:08 PM
Your table is no doubt a Brunswick. Years ago it was very common to change the name plate on used pool tables. At the turn of the century, there were both Brunswick and National making pool tables in Cincinnati. When I was in the service business I encountered dozens of tables with switched name plates. Brunswick and National were not at all bashful about "re-labeling" tables as their own. It was also common for billiards service companies to replace name plates with one of their own, which is what yours appears to be.

just more hot air!

Sherm

Sherm Custom Cues

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bbuss:</font><hr> I have an old 9' pool table with leather drop pockets my brother bought around 1970 for $25.00. The name plate is the same as a Brunswick table made from 1884 to 1906 except it says Rosatto barry Street Co on it.
I have always been very happy with this table except I can not find any info about it.

bbuss

<hr /></blockquote>

Brad
06-06-2005, 08:10 AM
bbuss,

Sherm has it right on. Many people made a regular practice of switching name plates back in the day.

bbuss
06-09-2005, 07:10 PM
Sherm

Thank you for the info.
I agree with you about the table but I still cant find any info on the co. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

christopheradams
06-10-2005, 05:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ives:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote ragin1:</font><hr> Our house is big enough for 2 tables. My next purchase will be a Gold Crown in a few years. <hr /></blockquote>

2 tables would be awesome, a bar table and a 9 footer would be ideal.

<hr /></blockquote>

I'll have 2 tables soon. I have my old table outside on a concrete slab covered by a canaoy. Its a 8footer. I just got my basement lolli columns put in so it will fit my new 9footer when I buy it. I too am in the market for a table and have around 3 grand to put towards a table alone. I think I may get a used gold crown and get it fixed up. They have gold crown IV at my local pool hall and I love them. They have simonis 760 on them too. I am going to get 860 on my table though.

Its great having a table outside! Play some pool and have a cookout! Ever see the out door pool table on the Drew carey show /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

SPetty
06-10-2005, 06:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote christopheradams:</font><hr> Its great having a table outside! Play some pool and have a cookout! <hr /></blockquote>It's on my list...