PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play on these cheap 9 fters?

DeadStrokeMan
09-21-2004, 09:50 AM
No - I'm not peddling someone elses wares. I'm thinkin' of getting one of these things. I wanted to know if any of you have any experience with these tables

http://www.atbilliards.com/images/tan/Ank9-footTables.htm

Looks like $1500 total for a 9 footer 3 piece 1" with k66. Just sounds "good" to me. Am I missing something?

I plan on hiring a table mechanic ONE TIME and video recording him setting up the table. I want to learn how to do this stuff myself. You'd think a shooter can setup his own table /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
09-21-2004, 10:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ankyloo website:</font><hr>Every stage of Ankyloo manufacturing process is responsibly governed by Ankyloo commitment to quality control. By selling pool tables factory direct on USA, Ankyloo will provide good quality tables with lowest price you can find anywhere.

Fine 22 OZ felt are used on every Ankyloo tables.
<hr /></blockquote>

The Chinese manufacturer should have ponied up a few bucks to hire an American to write their copy.

You want an honest opinion? You get what you pay for.

DeadStrokeMan
09-21-2004, 10:49 AM
For sure the cloth is trash. I'll have my guy put simonis &lt;sp&gt; on it - xtra 100.00 on this end. Short of that ...me thinkin is that the as long as the structure is sound ( I don't care about looks 1 bit ) - and the mechanic levels out the slates perfectly ...bondo's the seams in clean....

I "could" get a High Line 8' for $1600.00 from this local mechanic - That table looks very nice. I really wanted the 9' tho

woody_968
09-21-2004, 12:03 PM
I gots ta go with Wally on this one, you get what you pay for.

But then again, if you really dont care about the looks then keep your eye out for a used table! You will usually get more table for less money, and you are going to have to hire a mechanic anyway.

I bought my table used for $400. I re-covered the sides with a black vinyl. It looks good and plays great!

If they are selling a 9footer with slate for 1500 you have to figure they are skimping somewhere. It may be in the frame /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

wolfdancer
09-21-2004, 12:18 PM
There's a lead article in one of the freebies..."onthewire" or "thebreak"..it's written by a long time mechanic/dealer...about the "dangers" of buying one of these cheap imports...I believe you can find it on the respective website.
I recently had my table built by a local craftsman/table mechanic...who charges big $$$ to setup/repair those Gypsy tables...actually he doesn't even want to get involved.
Hope you check out the article before you make a decision about buying.....good luck

SnakebyteXX
09-21-2004, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
as long as the structure is sound ( I don't care about looks 1 bit ) - and the mechanic levels out the slates perfectly <hr /></blockquote>

Cheap Chinese tables have been pouring into the American market for some time now. They are often made in the same Chinese factory and sold under different brand/model names here (think 'ZBilliards'). I've seen them priced as low as $1000 for a nine footer.

The trouble is that they are generally NOT well made. Often using green wood in their frames that will warp and twist as it dries in your home. That table you had so carefully levelled today may not stay that way for long. They also often cut corners on frame stability using metal brackets in place of solid wood supports.

You needn't take my word for it - simply do a Net search in any of these pool related forums regarding Chinese tables and see what you find. I've done it - and believe me there are a heck of a lot more nightmare stories from dissatisfied customers out there than there are stories from contented customers.

My grandmother taught me that 'If it looks too good to be true - it probably is.' If you want to save money and still get a solid nine footer - beat the bushes for a used table - there's lots of them out there. If you have $1500 to spend it will go a long way towards getting you a table that will more than meet your needs.

Don't know how close you are to Kentucky - but as an example here's an old Gold Crown nine footer on EBay for what looks like a fairly decent price: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=21213&amp;item=7103217 013&amp;rd=1

Hope this helps.

Snake

Wally_in_Cincy
09-21-2004, 12:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> ....
I recently had my table built by a local craftsman/table mechanic...who charges big $$$ to setup/repair those Gypsy tables...actually he doesn't even want to get involved.... <hr /></blockquote>

I remember reading somewhere that many table mechanics won't even work on these pieces of crap.

Chris Cass
09-21-2004, 01:39 PM
IMHO you need to see the inside construction of the table. A coat of paint or aluminum siding sells to the eye but what's underneath?

C.C.

DeadStrokeMan
09-21-2004, 04:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr> ...

Don't know how close you are to Kentucky - but as an example here's an old Gold Crown nine footer on EBay for what looks like a fairly decent price: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=21213&amp;item=7103217 013&amp;rd=1

Hope this helps.

Snake <hr /></blockquote>

Ha /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif I actually called them on that table. No answer on the phones. Since I live 2hrs from Vegas and have long thought that Vegas was the place to "find" one due to its proximity to me. You've all convinced me enough to "shy" away from these tables - thats for sure.

woody_968
09-21-2004, 05:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DeadStrokeMan:</font><hr> You've all convinced me enough to "shy" away from these tables - thats for sure.
<hr /></blockquote>

Good Choice /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

=k=
09-22-2004, 06:58 AM
hello, i don't know but maybe you are in kingman. if so i would check out the classified's at azcentral.com the weekends usally have at least 25 tables.. some of them really good deals. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

DeadStrokeMan
09-22-2004, 08:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote =k=:</font><hr> hello, i don't know but maybe you are in kingman. if so i would check out the classified's at azcentral.com the weekends usally have at least 25 tables.. some of them really good deals. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Actually St. George Ut. 1.5 hours east of Vegas. Kingman is many many hours away. Phoenix is 6 hours south. I've hit azcentral.com on searches before ... went to thier site and attempted search on tables ..nada today.

I'll just have to wait for the Lord to put a table in my path /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

table_tech
09-22-2004, 08:32 PM
i'm not saying u should buy any table except for one you can afford.i,ve installed about a dozen z billiard tables and a few other chinese made tables,they're not that bad.the only troubles i've ever encountered with the ones i've done are the rails take some extra time to cloth because they use a rubber strip to hold the rail cloth in place, instead of wooden feather strips that the high dollar tables i install use.the hardware also is tricky to use because of nicks and burrs on them and they are usually covered in oil so it can get messy if im not careful.never had a problem leveling the slate . yes they are cheap tables ,yes the cloth is low quality,yes the leather drop pockets look more like plastic and still my customers were happy with them for the price they paid for them.