PDA

View Full Version : XP SP2

Rod
09-21-2004, 10:31 PM
I ordered and received a CD from MS wth XP2. It takes a few short weeks. I said why not install because I don't need problems later. I read most all and printed some of the files from MS before the install. I had to D/L a repair patch from HP to make sure system restore saved my old restore points. It said SR would not save points before the SP2 update. Should it fail I'd been in trouble.

I also ran all spyware/virus programs, it says it can fail with if spy/adware/virus is on the machine. No Problems, it installed without a hitch. Be sure to read up on the subject if your going to upgrade. Scandisc and defrag may be in order and check with your computer manufacturer as well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rod

crawdaddio
09-22-2004, 05:33 AM
Hey dude, I installed SP2 from windows update and have had no problems yet..................
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

eg8r
09-22-2004, 06:39 AM
I have a weird problem on a laptop after loading SP2...I can no longer see anything using javascript. I have checked everything, but I still get nothing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif The only reason I knew something was wrong was when we went to a website that worked on my desktop. On the laptop, the screen that popped up said I need to enable javascript. I went in the Tools>Security and it was fine.

I thought this might be a problem with IE so we loaded Mozilla onto the machine and the same problem is happening. My last guess was that it was something with the new security features, but when I turn the firewall off, the problem is still there.

Weird. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

pooljunkie73
09-22-2004, 04:31 PM
SP2 may have somehow corrupted Java. I would re-install it. I had the same problem and that seemed to fix it.

Kent Mc.

highsea
09-22-2004, 07:53 PM
Ed, that behavior is by design. You can fix it with a registry hack.

To fix it, follow these steps:

Quit all Windows-based programs.
Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_ LOCKDOWN

In the FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN subkey, follow these steps:
Click Iexplore.exe.
On the Edit menu, click Modify.
In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
Click Explore.exe.
On the Edit menu, click Modify.
In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
To quit Registry Editor, click Exit on the File menu.
Restart Windows.

-CM