PDA

View Full Version : Motorcyclist clocked at 205 mph

Wally_in_Cincy
09-22-2004, 05:27 AM
http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/4992111.html

Oh, what a tale Al Loney will have to tell for years to come.

The Minnesota State Patrol pilot was flying his aircraft Saturday near Wabasha watching for speeders when he saw two motorcycles blazing down Hwy. 61, and,
"Vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!"

Loney clicked his electronic stopwatch as one bike burst ahead near a white marker on the road. He clicked again a quarter-mile later.

He checked the time. Double-checked.
His clock read 4.39 seconds, equating an amazing 205 miles per hour.

"Unbelievable," Loney said Tuesday, recalling the moment. "I've never seen anything like it."
He radioed a State Patrol officer down the road who arrested the fast rider and gave him a speeding ticket.

"By all accounts, this is probably the fastest speed we've ever caught anyone," said Kevin Smith, a spokesman for the Department of Public Safety. "It's astonishing, even for the most seasoned state trooper."

Samuel Armstrong Tilley, 20, of Stillwater, was ticketed for reckless driving and driving without a motorcycle license.

<font color="blue">SPetty and Barbara, remember, the aircraft are watching you /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

Sid_Vicious
09-22-2004, 06:37 AM
That's about top end for some of those bikes. Believe me, they've missed many, many more at this speed before this nabbing. Those machines are a marvel of modern engineering, imagine the physics involved in keeping the moving mass of the internals from flying to pieces, red-line kicks in around 14k, that should tell you something right there...sid~~~gotsta have one someday!

Barbara
09-22-2004, 08:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
<font color="blue">SPetty and Barbara, remember, the aircraft are watching you /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

So what are you trying to tell us Wally?

Barbara~~~I-81, here I come! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
09-22-2004, 08:45 AM
In Virginia they had signs that said "Speed clocked by Aircraft". SPetty had never heard of that. I guess they don't do that in TX.

Wally &lt;~~ knows "The Beast" never goes over one-hundred and five /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Barbara
09-22-2004, 10:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> In Virginia they had signs that said "Speed clocked by Aircraft". SPetty had never heard of that. I guess they don't do that in TX.

<font color="blue">Also known as "Bear in the air".</font color>

Wally &lt;~~ knows "The Beast" never goes over one-hundred and five /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

<font color="red">I can neither confirm nor deny that statement. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

PQQLK9
09-22-2004, 10:09 AM
Amazing!...This guy didn't make it.
Frederick
Hope for a Lesson From Extreme Death
Frederick Man Pushed the Limits With Dangerous Motorcycle Stunts

By Fredrick Kunkle
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, September 19, 2004; Page C01

Shaun P. Matlock pulled on a helmet, climbed aboard a Yamaha sport bike a few miles west of Frederick and opened the throttle, roaring at high speed past hills and farms along a forlorn stretch of highway, toward West Virginia.

He wore only a T-shirt and shoes. He also wore two logos: The stickers, slapped on his helmet and his bike, bore the words "Holding It Big," the slogan of an upstart company in Baltimore that promotes extreme sports events and videos.

"I think he was killed by a video camera," Ray Matlock, 58, says of his son. ". . . It's the thrill of being on the Web." (Ricky Carioti -- The Washington Post)

What Matlock thought lay at the end of that stretch of highway is unclear. Street cred? Fame? Money?

As the sports promoter filmed Matlock from a chase car and several friends watched last Sunday evening, Matlock and another rider, who also was partially clad, sped off. Matlock pulled up the bike's nose to perform a wheelie at high speed and lost control, careering off the highway into the rear of a parked tow truck, according to police and witness accounts.

Police arrived quickly. Minutes before, they had received reports of motorcyclists stunting for a movie camera. Matlock, 21, died on the spot.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32224-2004Sep18.html

Wally_in_Cincy
09-22-2004, 10:12 AM
So that's why they call it "Fredneck" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I saw a couple of guys doing extended wheelies Saturday but they were only doing about 50.

highsea
09-22-2004, 01:06 PM
When I was in college, I took a friend's CBX up to 165 on a stretch of highway in eastern washington. At the time, the CBX was the fastest production bike, topping out at about 180.

This was in 1980, and the bike still had some left in it (but I didn't). Those were my young and crazy days. That's the fastest I've ever gone with something connected to the ground.

The new superbikes are scary fast.

-CM

Cueless Joey
09-22-2004, 01:28 PM
That's nothing.
They clocked a Domino Pizza delivery boy on a Chevette at 210 MPH here in SoCal. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Joey~Hit 100MPH on the way to Vegas one night on a Honda~

dg-in-centralpa
09-22-2004, 03:53 PM
I had my Sportster up to 105mph and backed off. I got to thinking that if some poor animal crosses the road in front of me, like a deer, I'm history.

DG - never did that again

nhp
09-22-2004, 04:32 PM
There is this one stretch of freeway on the way back from my school to where I live that people have a tendency to drive 90-100mph. This part of the freeway is a long straightaway and there are rarely any cars on this side at the time I drive home on it (9-10pm). There is also a long downhill slope that you can easily pick up top speeds on without noticing it. The fastest I will usually go is 90, so long as there are not many other cars on the road. The other day I was just going with the flow of traffic (the few cars that were on the road), and didn't pay attention to the speedometer, and noticed my car slightly "shaking" like I'd never felt it before. I looked down and noticed I was going 112. Kind of strange, it felt like I was going 80 but my car wasn't handling it too well. That's the fastest I've ever gone.

Perk
09-27-2004, 08:42 AM
I took my cousins YZF up to 155 once, and was leaning over the handle bars for better wind resistance. All I could think about was "What if"....I kept imagining a spoke poppin or something....needless to say, I slowed down, and havent rode one since.

Still would like one. I think that you could go crazy distances using short speed burts in a short amount of time...