PDA

View Full Version : Billiard Club (for school)

wantsumrice
09-22-2004, 07:03 AM
Hey guys,

I'm starting a billiard club at school. I've got a couple ideas for what the club will do during meetings and for outings. Like, we'll go out some weekends just to play pool, and I'll hold tournaments. That's pretty much all I have... Do any of you guys recommend anything during meetings and whatnot?

thanks!
~ivan

c.holtz009
09-22-2004, 07:19 AM
Another poster on this board (Bob Perkins) has a billiard club at his school. He has a 4 1/2 X 9' table in his class room at the school. Try him. He may have some more ideas for you.

=k=
09-22-2004, 07:40 AM
i would get guest instructors. maybe discuss a drill. and then see who can preform the drill the best,(most consectivy times) stress the improtance of drills and practise.. what did i hear? three or four hours of drills to one hour of play makes your game shine.. k

Anonamus
09-22-2004, 10:49 AM
You need something to get people excited about coming. People don't get excited about doing drills. How about offering to video tape people while they shoot and as a group discuss the flaws in technique. That way everyone can benefit even if they don't all have the chance to be video taped.

Come up with a drill of the week. At the end of each week have a competition to see who can accomplish the drill the best.

Get a group together to watch an accu-stats match in the student union, or where ever. Don't just watch all 9-ball matches. Mix it up so people can see all the games and get interested in something they haven't played before.

Set up a group lesson with a traveling pro. Over on the RBS site they say Danny Dilaberto is on the east coast making his way down to Fla. and is looking to give group and/or private lessons. Don't know what your cash flow is like but his rates sounded reasonable. There are other teachers available as well.

Rich R.
09-22-2004, 11:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Anonamus:</font><hr> Set up a group lesson with a traveling pro. Over on the RBS site they say Danny Dilaberto is on the east coast making his way down to Fla. and is looking to give group and/or private lessons. Don't know what your cash flow is like but his rates sounded reasonable. There are other teachers available as well. <hr /></blockquote>
Before reading Ed's post, I was thinking along the same lines.

Try to get some group lessons, with a qualified instructor.
Since your group is new, and I assume you are not well financed, you may not be able to get one of the big name instructors. However, try contacting some of the registered BCA instructors, in your area. Be honest and tell them you are trying to get this club started. Maybe some of them would be willing to donate a couple of hours, for a group lesson, to help your club get started.
If you get more than one to volunteer, schedule a different instructor each month. With one group lesson a month, the group would have something to practice and discuss, until the next month. It would also generate questions for the next instructor.

Good luck. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AndySegal
09-22-2004, 11:04 AM
Ivan,

I used to teach at the billiad club for the University of Pittsburgh. It was back in the early 90's. You should try to get involved with the ACUI. They have regional and national college tournaments each year. My wife played in them back when we were in school. A long time ago, Nick Varner was national champion for a couple of years. If fact, when my wife was playing in those tournaments, Max Eberle won the mens division.

Anyway, try to get involved with that. It will add some incentive to join and practice.

Also, you may want to see if your school will pay for one or two exhibitions from professionals. By the way, I'm available!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you are interested, I will be doing a couple of shows up in your area in December. I am scheduled to come into town with Mike Massey on December 18 and 19 to do some shows for the APA. The shows aren't in Boston, but the promoter lives in South Hadley, MA so they can't be that far away. I'm not sure if these are private or public parties. I may also be doing one in Southington, CT around that time too.

Good Luck

Andy

wantsumrice
09-22-2004, 06:45 PM
I'll look into the ACUI.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I will most likely have the school back me for an instructor of some sort.

~ivan

pooltchr
09-23-2004, 08:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>Try to get some group lessons, with a qualified instructor.
Since your group is new, and I assume you are not well financed, you may not be able to get one of the big name instructors. However, try contacting some of the registered BCA instructors, in your area. <hr /></blockquote>

The BCA also oversees the Billiard Education Foundation, dedicated to increasing youth participation in the sport. Many of us (BCA instructors) will go out of our way when possible to work with youth programs. Rich's suggestion is a good one. Get the list of BCA instructors and go to work contacting them.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-23-2004, 08:26 AM
rice, I have some advice. Don't beat up on your fellow club members too awfully bad or they will quit the club. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

wantsumrice
09-23-2004, 11:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> rice, I have some advice. Don't beat up on your fellow club members too awfully bad or they will quit the club. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

hahaha, I'm one step ahead of you! I take it easy on the greenhorns, you know, I give them 2-3 tries to run out /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

~ivan

ryushen21
09-25-2004, 06:58 PM
Ok, i have been involved with a statewide intercollegiate league here in Texas for about a year now. We just now got ourselves to a point where things are getting exciting and getting a lot of members. So, i can offer you a little bit of advice.

The main thing is get a good solid body at your own school. That way you can have a foundation for everything. If you wanna spread it out to an intercollegiate league then you would want to start contacting other schools and see if they were interested in starting their own team and joining the league.

If you want to keep it specifically just to your school, then you may want to consider some of the things that we do. We sort everyone into divisions. A Division is advanced player (run racks, and thorough knowledge of english, can jump and masse). B Division is intermediate players (good acquiantance with english, can jump and masse but now always accurately, run a rack every now and then), C Division is beginning players.

The main thing that we do is have a challenge match system that earns each player points that count towards an award at the end of each semester. It also helps to determine the best players in each division. We also are establishing a weekly tournament system for everyone to get the chance to play against better players.

And we also have night where we all just get together and hang out and have a good time so that not everyone is totally hung up on just pool.

As far as ACUI, it is a good deal to be involved with. The only problem that the regional tournaments only happen once a year and that can be a long time to wait for some people. Also, most schools, at least in our region, will inly send the best players they have because they all want the chance to go to nationals.

Anyways, that's most of the input i have for now. If you need anything else or have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.

B0B_PERKINS
10-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Hi... good to hear someone else is into setting up such a billiards club for students. I've been successfully running one in the high school where I teach for the past several years. I actually have a 9ft snooker table in my classroom that has been completely paid for by the by the club members. If your interested I have a variety of suggestions you might be interested in that are dependent upon the type of location your school is in. I hope I can be of help...feel free to e-mail me. ... Bob