PDA

View Full Version : Bad Back

DeadStrokeMan
09-22-2004, 08:40 AM
Anyone else have a "chronic" bad back like me? Most days I can "shoot around" it. Currently - its thrown out very bad and now I won't be shootin' for at least a few days /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

What a stinker /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I just recently discovered that my shooting off the rail on the long shots was inhibited because I wassn't "laying down" on the cue to truley see it. Me thinx this back problem is also a "SUBTLE" cause of "throwing" shots that I could normally make anyday. Probably a subconcious inner OUCH avoidance system that has been developed by my "inner man".

I'm off to the chiropractor today to fix this broken thing

rah
09-22-2004, 08:48 AM
Loosing weight can really help some people with back problems. It is good that you are seeing the back cruncher.

RichardCranium
09-22-2004, 09:05 AM
Something that might help is to stretch your hamstrings. If your hams are not stretched...when you bend over they pull on your lower back. this can cause back problems.

If you lay flat on your back, keeping your leg straight you should be able to point each leg on at a time straight up in the air.

If you can not do that begin to strech them out by laying on your back and pull your knee up to your waist. then slowly straighten you leg as far as you can, gradually you will get straighter until you can point it straight up in the air.

NOTE: you will actually feel a burning sensation in the front of your leg. This is good since the front of your leg is tensed it allows the back of your leg to relax and stretch. Work at it a whil and you will notice improvement in your back.

Cane
09-23-2004, 09:24 AM
I had my back broken at L3 in 1977, and while it didn't really bother me in my "youth", these days, it gives me fits... seems to get a little less comfortable every year. I can NOT "lay down" on the cue and actually, at least for my situation, it has become a blessing in disguise. I had to raise my body up from my "old way" of shooting or after 3 games I was worthless. I now shoot with my chin a good 6 or 8 inches off of the cue and my feet a little closer together. The blessing in disguise is that, for me at least, I have a better view of the shot. At first, I hit everything a little thick, but after a couple of months of this new stance, I find that I make a much higher percentage of shots than I did with my chin nearly resting on the cue... The big plus here is that, while playing, my back doesn't bother me near as much as it did before. Can I play pain free? No Way!!! But, I do play more comfortably than I could before the change, and I can now play for 6 hours without needing help getting out of my recliner after a session!

Footnote: rah was right. Weight loss is also a great help. In January of this year, at 6'4" (well, i used to be, I think I'm shrinking now) I weighed 291 pounds. I'm now down to 240 pounds. Not having that beer gut pulling on my back sure didn't hurt things!

Later,
Bob

DeadStrokeMan
09-24-2004, 11:18 AM
Back pain is better today. Played a tourney last night on LorTabs and beer. While I barely remember winning /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif- I still took the tourney with ease. I noticed that when playing on pain killers that my shape was more "luck" than shape at all. I was just too complacent about the placement. Good thing I'm a shot maker (lol).

I normally don't drink or drug or anything when I play - I'm a prettry straight guy. But the pain was pretty bad and I just had to play the tourney /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I too have the habit of being HIGH off the stick for center table shots. About 10" or more off the cue. BUT, when shooting off the rail on the long shots I *MUST* lay down on the cue to make the shot %100. Otherwise my miss percentage creeps in. Hey - Every watch Karen Corr or Allison make the "off the rail shots"? They darn chin is RUBBING THE CUE! I swear - you can see their skin move - lol.

Chris Cass
09-24-2004, 11:31 AM
I'll tell you friend,

I take 1-2 Hydrocordone 500 mg. every 4 hrs and I'm in tons of pain. Have been taking them for a little over a yr. They're the generic Lortab. I'll say this. Don't mix them with beer or any alcohol. I can't believe you'd do that. Your asking to kill your damm self.

These aren't your run of the mill pain killers. They add up and they'll not only effect your vision bigtime, your mood but your driving skills too. Drinking alcohol will not only put your life in danger but if your driving a vehicle, others too.

I love the game too and would do anything to play but don't mix these things togather. Your only heading for disaster. That isn't what you want I'm sure. I don't know your age but whatever it is I know it's old enough to make a concious decision. Hopefully you won't have to explain to someone that the reason you did something was because you were not thinking.

Regards,

C.C.

Scott Lee
09-24-2004, 01:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DeadStrokeMan:</font><hr> I too have the habit of being HIGH off the stick for center table shots. About 10" or more off the cue. BUT, when shooting off the rail on the long shots I *MUST* lay down on the cue to make the shot %100. Otherwise my miss percentage creeps in. Hey - Every watch Karen Corr or Allison make the "off the rail shots"? They darn chin is RUBBING THE CUE! I swear - you can see their skin move - lol.

<hr /></blockquote>

Sorry, but it doesn't matter one iota whether your chin is rubbing on the cue, or you are standing straight up. All that matters is the the cuestick is reasonably level, you have a good pre-shot routine, and you have a good, straight stroke. We discussed this very issue last weekend at pool school, and the consensus among us instructors was that as long the cue is centered under the chin, how high or low you get is a personal issue, and is not related to pocketing ability. Myself, I play most all shots standing 10+ inches above the cue, regardless of the shot. The only time you'll see me low on the cuestick, is when I'm stretched out over the table, because I HAVE to be to reach the shot. Karen and Allison play that style because it suits them, not because it is the ONLY way to play. Snooker players are notorious for the 'low over the cue' stance. It is neither better nor worse than any other stance.

Scott Lee

DeadStrokeMan
09-25-2004, 09:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>... Don't mix them with beer or any alcohol. I can't believe you'd do that. Your asking to kill your damm self.... <hr /></blockquote>

Yes - it is - Only had 1 br and 1 tab. I'm aware. ...besides that ... being "stoned" destroys the game entirely.

Its pretty messed up still - have an eletrical stimulator that really seems to help a bunch. Some specific excersizes. And lots and lots of carrot juice.

Typically - I don't drink at all /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hondo
09-27-2004, 05:44 AM
Yep, it's ruined my game. When I bend down I shoot
fast rather than getting down on the ball and then
I get disgustrd with myself.

hondo
09-27-2004, 10:14 AM
CC, 500mg? I take lortap 10's and they're pretty strong.