PDA

View Full Version : Links to Good Instruction articles online

RichardCranium
09-22-2004, 10:05 AM
I have many pool books, magazines, video...but I have been recently been printing out good articles on line and three hole punching them and putting them in a quick reference book...(good bathroom reading)

I just printed an article on the diamond system. I have some I like on aiming....I am currently looking for articles on grip, grip pressueres, stance, and posture,and head position.

if you know any good links.....please let me know....Especially the GRIP

Rich R.
09-22-2004, 10:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RichardCranium:</font><hr>if you know any good links.....please let me know....Especially the GRIP <hr /></blockquote>
I don't know about articles on Grip, but try this link.
http://www.8ball.org/blackjack.htm

ChrisW
09-22-2004, 11:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> I don't know about articles on Grip, but try this link.
http://www.8ball.org/blackjack.htm <hr /></blockquote>

I was thinking the same thing.
Lots of good stuff there.
I already have my 3 ring binder started

Chris

#### leonard
09-22-2004, 12:30 PM
Richard you have been missed. Here is what I consider to be the secret of the grip. Notice the Capital letter J it is formed with your thumb and your fingers. The letter J always goes straight. J ust tuck your thumb around the cue and shoot with your fingers aimed at the floor and it cradled in your fold betweeen your thumb and fingers. Just try this and you will be amazed at how straight your cue will go.
Try shooting down the line of your kitchen/dining table and you will see how straight this method is. Once you get the feel of it you can then wrap your fingers around your cue. Keeping the cue against the fold. Good Luck trying this.####

ragin1
09-22-2004, 02:15 PM
http://www.easypooltutor.com/

RichardCranium
09-22-2004, 02:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> Richard you have been missed. Here is what I consider to be the secret of the grip. Notice the Capital letter J it is formed with your thumb and your fingers. The letter J always goes straight. J ust tuck your thumb around the cue and shoot with your fingers aimed at the floor and it cradled in your fold betweeen your thumb and fingers. Just try this and you will be amazed at how straight your cue will go.
Try shooting down the line of your kitchen/dining table and you will see how straight this method is. Once you get the feel of it you can then wrap your fingers around your cue. Keeping the cue against the fold. Good Luck trying this.#### <hr /></blockquote>

I am never very far away.....

BTW your reply is getting printed... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I can't seem to find any real good articles on the grip...The info above is about the best I have heard so far...I actually grip something close to what you are saying above. I actually touch the tip of my first finger and thumb together and let the cue rest pretty much in that "cradle" . the side of my second finger touches the inside of my thumb..(this way I know I am holding the cue the same way every time. (I think I am close)

My reason for asking about the grip is, I have noticed that I have a hard time keeping my wrist "naturally" straight, My hand tends to turn slightly outward and forward if that makes sense... I have been trying to study grips of pros on video and I have noticed they are all over the place. However If I can remember to keep the back of my wrist down to the knuckes on my hand straight I get a much more down the line stroke......It is hard to be consistant with it thought because I naturally want to turn my hand out (not much, just a little) and that makes me cut slightly accross my sight line instead of down the line...It might be Golf related as I have the same minor flaw in golf... I tend to cup my wrist at the top of my back swing..(ala Ben Hogan....but that is not the modern golf swing anymore) Next time I see Rod I am going to hit him up on this as well.

Also...lucky for me I shoot pool left handed even though I am right handed. We have a training glove for the left hand at work the has a metal bar that runs along the wrist and hand to keep students left wrist from breaking down (usually backwards) I think I might experiment with this glove while playing pool.... (Just curious.....is it legal to wear a braced glove on your grip hand in pool???? )(It is NOT legal in golf)

Thanks for the info...RC

RichardCranium
09-22-2004, 02:26 PM
I just figured it out.....I have been using the italics J......I will have to swith to block letters........ /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
09-23-2004, 05:29 AM
Jimmy Reid's site:

http://www.freepoollessons.com/lessons/lessons1/grip/grip.shtml

#### leonard
09-23-2004, 06:13 AM
Wally I used the ring and baby finger, you don't have to be a Wizard to realize that when your hitting the cueball using your first two fingers, the back of your cue is coming up and the shaft is headed downward. Using the back two your cue is nearly levvel throughout the stroke. I added the extra V in level to show how levvel your stroke is that way.
Most great players did anything but what was written in their books.####