PDA

View Full Version : How good are Action, Hampton, etc. cues under $100

Big_Daddy
09-22-2004, 08:00 PM
Ive been out of the pool scene for several years and just recently started back. I am on limited funds and have been looking for a decent cue for under $100.00 to begin playing with again so I can quit using crappy house sticks /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Ive found quite a nice selection from Players, Hampton, Action and J&J cues; as well as a few other cheaper names. I have had the opportunity to play with my roommate's Players cue and I really like it.

What are you guys' opinions on those lower $$$ cues like I listed above? I'm even considering trying a Cuetec cue this round because I found several cues under $100.00

Thanks for your time,

Craig Collier

cueball1950
09-22-2004, 09:08 PM
let me give you another cue to look at. go to ebay and click on search and trype in kc cues. then look for either a kc 2 or kc 5 cue. the kc 5 cues are not bad and can usually be gotten for under 100....let me know how you make out.................mike

trailboss
09-22-2004, 10:32 PM
The Players and Action cues are good for the money. The Action will have a slightly smoother shaft. The one I have does. They shoot pretty decent. I tried a Hampton and was not really impressed, it seemed ok. The guy was asking 140.00 for it and I passed. I don't think you will like Cutec because my buddy has one and shoots very good with it. However, he informed me that when new the shaft was slicker than all getout, then as the weeks went by it became slightly sticky. He still likes it, but has to constantly clean it or it becomes very sticky. I think a wood shaft is the way to go. My 0.2 cents.

catscradle
09-23-2004, 04:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Big_Daddy:</font><hr> ... I am on limited funds and have been looking for a decent cue for under $100.00 to begin playing with again so I can quit using crappy house sticks /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif...
<hr /></blockquote>

If you want to stay under 100 bucks check out the Dufferin Phantom (http://www.cheapcues.com/Dufferin_Pool_Cues_Phantom.asp) . For 70 bucks it plays amazingly well. You get no looks with it to speak of as it looks exactly like a Dufferin house cue.
You might want to give it serious consideration. Remember, house cues don't start out crappy, the Dufferins are actually pretty good cues. After several years of abuse they are what they are.

catscradle
09-23-2004, 05:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Big_Daddy:</font><hr> ... I am on limited funds and have been looking for a decent cue for under $100.00 to begin playing with again so I can quit using crappy house sticks /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif...
<hr /></blockquote>

If you want to stay under 100 bucks check out the Dufferin Phantom (http://www.cheapcues.com/Dufferin_Pool_Cues_Phantom.asp) . For 70 bucks it plays amazingly well. You get no looks with it to speak of as it looks exactly like a Dufferin house cue.
You might want to give it serious consideration. Remember, house cues don't start out crappy, the Dufferins are actually pretty good cues. After several years of abuse they are what they are. <hr /></blockquote>

BTW, I failed to mention the phantom comes in 2 tip sizes, 10 mm for snooker, 12.75 mm for pool. If you decide you like the phantom make sure to get the right one.
another Phantom source (http://www.fivestarbilliards.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&amp;Product_Code=Phantom&amp;Cate gory_Code=DufferinCues&amp;Product_Count=5)

66goat
09-27-2004, 07:36 PM
I personally like the way Fury feels for under $100 too. Cuetec has a nice feel at first, but like an earlier post explains, you have to keep it clean. Or, you can use a glove. There are a lot of them out there, so you definitley won't be the only person using one. That's been the most popular brand on my site so far. Go Figure /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Check out this link and take a look at the Fury cues. Fury Pool cues (http://www.nineintheside.com/index.html?target=dept_1.html&amp;lang=en-us)