View Full Version : Drunken horse riding now legal in PA

Wally_in_Cincy
09-23-2004, 06:47 AM
<font color="blue">Good news for Barbara and dg-in-central-pa </font color>

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/103-09232004-370399.html

State Supreme Court says horse riders can't be "drunken drivers"
By JOE MANDAK
The Associated Press

PITTSBURGH - Pennsylvania's drunken driving law is unconstitutionally vague and can't be enforced - at least against those on horseback, the state Supreme Court ruled Wednesday.
Justice Russell M. Nigro penned the majority opinion that stems from charges filed against two men in Mercer County in 2002.
Keith Travis, 41, of Grove City, and Richard Noel, 49, of Sandy Lake, were charged with drunken driving along with a man driving a pickup who allegedly rear-ended the horse Travis was riding away from a bar on a dark country road.
Noel, Travis and the pickup truck driver all failed field sobriety tests, police said, but a Mercer County judge threw out the charges against Noel and Travis after they argued that the word "vehicles" in the state's drunken-driving law doesn't apply to horses.

Eakin, who is fond of writing rhyming opinions, summed up his dissent with two stanzas mimicking the theme song of television's "Mister Ed" - a 60s sitcom about a talking horse:

"A horse is a horse, of course, of course,

but the Vehicle Code does not divorce

its application from, perforce,

a steed as my colleagues said.

"'It's not vague,' I'll say until I'm hoarse,

and whether a car, a truck or horse

this law applies with equal force,

and I'd reverse instead."

<font color="blue">In the late 50's in Livingston KY, my grandpa got drunk and rode his horse "Nell" into town and into The Restaurant (It did not have a name, it was just called "The Restaurant").

I don't remember if he got arrested. </font color>

catscradle
09-23-2004, 10:17 AM
I think it might be a violation of the cruelty to animals statues to get a horse drunk. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ras314
09-23-2004, 10:27 AM
I knew a guy a while back that had so many DWI's he had no drivers license. So he trained his horse to haul him home while he was passed out. Got so well known the local paper wrote an article about him.

That was the kiss of death, local gestapo arrested him for public drunkeness.

dg-in-centralpa
09-24-2004, 01:27 PM
I live in Amish country. As the tenagers go through "Rumspringa", a time when they get to sow their wild oats and party, get drunk, and do all the things we do. Then they have to make a decision whether to join the church and become strict Amish or leave the church for the outside world and never have contact with their family again. It had been commonplace for the Amish teenagers to be arrested for drunken driving with their horse and buggy.

DG - lmao

highsea
09-24-2004, 05:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <font color="blue">In the late 50's in Livingston KY, my grandpa got drunk and rode his horse "Nell" into town and into The Restaurant (It did not have a name, it was just called "The Restaurant").
</font color><hr /></blockquote>When I was in college in Ellensburg, Wa., my friends and I would always head for Vantage to party on the Columbia River over Labor Day (rodeo) weekend.

The cowboys hated us "long-haired pot-smokin' college punks". /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Every year some drunk cowboy would ride his horse through the bar at the Thunderbird Motel. I guess it was some kind of tradition.