PDA

View Full Version : For Serious Pool Players Only !!!

Doctor_D
05-15-2002, 06:42 AM
Good morning:

On average, on a weekly basis, how much time do you spend doing drills and/or solo practice in contrast to the time you spend playing and/or competing?

Dr. D.

Jay M
05-15-2002, 07:19 AM
I don't really do this as often as I should and it shows in my game. I only play about 3-4 days a week, but when I do go out, I play for 6-10 hours at a time, usually 2-3 hours solo and the rest either playing against someone that is at the same level as me or a bit better.

Jay M<--- just can't get into drills

Rich R.
05-15-2002, 08:20 AM
Dr. D, I don't have the disipline to do drills the way you do. I know I should, but I guess my attention span is too short. LOL.
In my recent session with Scott Lee, he introduced me to five drills, which I have been doing, when I can. I pracice at home a few nights a week, but rarely for more than an hour or two at a time. I will do the drills for a short time and then move on. On league nights, you rarely have soul posession of the table to do drills.
I have to add, when Scott teaches the drills, he stresses that you only make 5 attempts to do one of his drills. If you are successful on any attempt, you move on. If you are unsuccessful, after 5 attempts, move on anyway. Obviously, he has a lot of experience with players with short attention spans, like me. LOL.
Rich R.~~~plays seriously, but remembers pool is a game.

Kato
05-15-2002, 08:27 AM
People that do drills are special I think, very dedicated. I'm probably down to playing maybe 10 hours a week. Probably 5 minutes of practice. Doesn't make me much of a player, shows in my game.

Kato

05-15-2002, 11:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rich R.:</font><hr> when Scott teaches the drills, he stresses that you only make 5 attempts to do one of his drills. If you are successful on any attempt, you move on. If you are unsuccessful, after 5 attempts, move on anyway. Obviously, he has a lot of experience with players with short attention spans, like me. LOL. Rich R <hr></blockquote>

strange, that's exactly the way you teach puppies. short sessions, quit on a victory if you can, make sure the puppy is having fun and don't be cheap with the cookies.

hummmmmmmmmm.

dan

Rich R.
05-15-2002, 12:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr>
strange, that's exactly the way you teach puppies. short sessions, quit on a victory if you can, make sure the puppy is having fun and don't be cheap with the cookies.

hummmmmmmmmm.

dan <hr></blockquote>
I didn't get any cookies, but I did wonder why Scott kept patting me on the head.
Rich R.~~~Hmmmmmmmm.

05-15-2002, 12:13 PM
I play about 25 hr a week, 3-4 hrs of drills a week at home, I pratice 14-1 at home for stroke/speed control, and play 9 ball at the PH every fri and sat night. I'm an '7' in 8 ball and an '8' in 9ball.and am somewhat competitive in straight pool. At 58, I still see improvement, or maybe just playing smarter,But this "old man" still gives the youngsters a run for thier money.

05-15-2002, 03:02 PM
I have two days per week that I devote to having 'fun' playing in a tournament Mondays and playing others Fridays. Tues, Thurs, Sat, and Sun are devoted to drills and lessons. I have only been playing seriously for a few months so at my level I need to work VERY hard at improving my game. It gets monotonous but when you get to the point that a drill is no longer a challenge, it is an awesome feeling.

Guppy~Practice, Practice, Practice

Rod
05-15-2002, 03:27 PM
Tough question Doc, I'd have to go into a long explanation of what I do and why. To make it easy though, I'd guess about 1/3 of my time is practice, at this point.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-15-2002, 03:49 PM
I play about 14 hours a week. 4 hours of that is dedicated to drills and practice.

John in NH
05-15-2002, 05:37 PM
Good evening Dr D,

During the fall and winter months (golf in the summer) I'll spend 20 to 30 hours a week playing pool. One hour may be spent playing alone, 0 practice time (I hate to practice) I know that I am a serious player because I hate to lose, I hadn't lost a 9 ball match in league play the last two years. I started playing golf a month ago, lost two matches in a row hill/hill. I play 9-ball in the summer (10 weeks) and winter (16 weeks).

John

Doctor_D
05-15-2002, 06:03 PM
Good evening:

Thank-you one and all for all which you shared. Now, I guess it is time for me to fess up on my schedule and routines. I spend 6 to 7 hours on each day, Tuesdays and Saturdays, doing structured drills and work-outs with-out a playing partner. Overall, I invest an average of 15 hours each week to drills and work-outs. Fridays, and on one or two evenings a week, I will compete and/or practice with a stronger playing partner. Playing practice averages 10 to 12 hours each week. Grueling, but very very effective for the development of my game and playing ability.

Am I obsessed about the game of Pool? You bet I am!!!

/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Dr. D.

05-15-2002, 07:29 PM
I'm a little pissed that I didn't get my player credit there D!! LMAO

JimS
05-15-2002, 08:47 PM
I practice at home 1 to 8 hours a day, average about 2.5 hrs a day, probably 20 hours a week. I haven't been playing anywhere. Hate league, no poolhall, can't get into going to bars. Outa luck. New poolhall opens tomorrow...YES!

rackmup
05-15-2002, 08:58 PM
Two hours of practice drills, one hour of "ghost" opponent and 2-4 hours of playing against someone with something on the line (money, beer, pride) everyday except Sunday.

Regards,

Ken (just got home from 4 hours of one pocket)

Doctor_D
05-16-2002, 02:22 AM
Good morning:

Well my dear, as a friend would always say, better to be pissed off then to be pissed on!

Dr. D.

Rod
05-16-2002, 02:40 AM
Dr. D I'm shocked, such language!/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif You know or maby you don't, that some people like it the other way! Haven't figured that one out yet, but to each their own.

Doctor_D
05-16-2002, 05:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> Dr. D I'm shocked, such language!/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

Good morning:

Please remember that; under this confident, polished, professional exterior lies a New York City woman in all her glory ( glory is spelled "attitude")

Dr. D.

05-16-2002, 08:33 AM
I would have to say I practice 15 hours Mondy - Friday by myself doing drills. And 2 hours on Saturday and Sunday 4 hours before I go to play for money. So that's 19 hours a week practice roughly 3 tp 9 hours money matches on the weekend only.

Rod
05-16-2002, 10:59 AM
Hum, creative spelling Doc, I like that!

MikeM
05-17-2002, 03:07 PM
2-3 hours 5-6 days a week, though I don't do nearly enough drills.

MM

05-17-2002, 06:21 PM
Dr. D, you are an exception as far as your dedication to do drills. For one, luckily for you your instructor is very big on drills and knows numerous drills which I'm sure she's shared with you. Secondly, from my source your discipline to work hard and improve your game is indeed very rare. We have a gentleman in our room that reminds me of you very much. He's on the monthly plan and practices about 4 hours a day, every single day - most of that by himself often doing drills learned from myself, books and videos. Dr. D, if you haven't already, I would add a 10 rack Q-Skill session to your daily drills. This is something you can quantatatively chart and keep track of.

As for myself, I occasionally try the Q-Skill drill, the L drill, the circle drill, the spreading out balls and pocketing them all without the cue-ball touching a rail or another ball drill, and a few others. I would also consider playing the ghost (and keep score) as another sort of drill one can do by themselves.

Dr. D, thanks for you offer to help on the other issue I posted. I couldn't readily put my hand on your phone number, but the situation has been resolved. - Chris in NC

Doctor_D
05-17-2002, 07:06 PM
Good evening:

Thank-you for the feedback and yes, I will try the Q-Skill Drill. Additionally, when I started with Gerda in January of 2001, I began the development of my own Billiards Workbook. This manual, now in a 2" three ring binder, has over 100 different drills as well as Progress reports for drill practice, competitive practice and tournament reports and evaluations. I chart my progress, the drills performed and completed, and produce a report on evey match from every tournment I enter.

Being from the "Old" school of learning I firmly believe that; You collect and compile data. Data compiled and organized becomes information. Information becomes knowledge. Knowledge applied, over time, becomes experience. Learning is forever lifelong...

/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Dr. D.

Scott Lee
05-19-2002, 01:12 PM
dan....LOL LMAO! No cookies...but, actually, I use candy lifesavers! I call them 'stroke pills', and I have red, white, and red/white striped. I tell them red is for draw, white is for follow, and the striped is for english! It works!

Scott

CarolNYC
05-20-2002, 06:40 AM
Good morning there,Lady,
2 hours a day-2 leagues a week(straight pool&amp;9ball) instruction at least weekly-then regional tournament practically everyother week!But, family will always come first!
Carol~making sure her daughters graduate college!:)

jjinfla
05-20-2002, 07:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> Good evening:

. I chart my progress, the drills performed and completed, and produce a report on evey match from every tournment I enter.

Being from the "Old" school of learning I firmly believe that; You collect and compile data. Data compiled and organized becomes information. Information becomes knowledge. Knowledge applied, over time, becomes experience. Learning is forever lifelong...

/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Dr. D.
<hr></blockquote>

Oh Oh, I see the making of a book in the future. Put me down for the first issue. I too was compiling a list of drills but it got out of hand. My latest favorite drill is the old diagonal line. Object ball on 3rd diamond, CB one diamond behind, make 10 balls move back one diamond. The last set I place the CB on the rail next to the pocket. Three variations: Stop shot where CB replaces OB. Follow shot and draw shot. I think this drill has really helped my stroke and by seeing where the CB ends up tells a lot about the hit/stroke. On another topic, how do you handle the withdrawal on days when you cannot play pool. Had to take my wife to see JC Superstar yesterday, and I missed playing saturday too. Usually I play/practice at least once every day. I need my fix. Jake

Doctor_D
05-20-2002, 07:12 AM
Good morning:

The "Billiards Workbook" I am using and ultimately developing has already grown into a 3" / 3 ring binder. In about a year, once all instructions and guidelines for the drills and reports have been completed, I just might consider publishing it.

If I do decide to publish the "Billiards Workbook", would anyone be interested in a copy?

Dr. D.

Rich R.
05-20-2002, 07:44 AM
You can put me down for a copy, but, to be very honest, I am not good at sticking to drills. I have found a few that I do on a regular basis, but not many.
I have found that Scott Lee's method of doing a drill not more than five times helps me. I know that after five attempts I can move on to something else, even if it is just another drill. It also helps me concentrate more for those five attempts. I don't care for the method of doing the same drill for long periods of time.
A workbook, filled with a variety of drills, may be the best thing for players like me, with short attention spans. LOL.
Rich R.

Kato
05-20-2002, 07:51 AM
I couldn't do A drill let alone a book of drills. I assure you though if you publish I'll buy. I support my friends and aquaintences to the best of my ability.

Your effort is inspiring Dr D. I wish I had your drive.

Kato~~~recently retired from pool for a while. It's not so bad.

Doctor_D
05-20-2002, 08:09 AM
Good morning:

Drive, disguised as focused Obsessive - Compulsive - Behavior, does have its benefits!

Dr. D.

Kato
05-20-2002, 08:32 AM
If we were married we'd kill each other. I'd call you a wacko and you'd call me a lazy bum. Neither of us are but in a way it would probably fit. Our friends would laugh at us and whisper behind our backs. In the end you would probably kill me and get away with it.

Kato~~~tick.....tock.....tick.....tock

cheesemouse
05-20-2002, 09:50 AM
Rich,
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I have found that Scott Lee's method of doing a drill not more than five times helps me.<hr></blockquote> Does this mean five times per practice session or in a life time???? I'm serious, inquirering minds want to know. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

stickman
05-20-2002, 10:01 AM
You have five attempts to accomplish a task. If you successfully complete the task in less than five attempts, you move on to the next task. If you do not sucessfully complete the task in five attempts, you move on anyway. This is per practice session. LOL /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

cheesemouse
05-20-2002, 10:04 AM
Stickman'
Thanks, I hadn't had my morning coffee yet. LOL LOL!!!!!

Rich R.
05-20-2002, 10:16 AM
Stickman gave the correct response Cheese. I wish I could learn it all with five attempts in a lifetime, but unfortunately, it is five attempts per session......and for me, it is many, many sessions. LOL.
Rich R.~~~has many sessions to go.

Holly
05-22-2002, 02:28 PM
Hi D and everyone,

I don't get to practice as much as I like these days, however when I can, I like to work about 6-8 hours of drills in a week, in 2-3 hour sessions. I usually try to find the quietest room in my area at the quiest time.

One of my favorite is a position drill where you divide the table into 6 square quadrants, place a coin in the middle of each quadrant. Giving your self a little angle to start with, setting up the object ball about 3 inches from the pocket with the cue ball about 6 inches from the object ball. Using center, follow, draw, and english work to make 10 balls on the coin in each quadrant successfully. If you miss being within 2 inches of the coin, start back at 0 count and start over again and just keep going. It is fun, a good position and speed control drill and helps you to use all forms of use on the cueball to get the desired results. Another variation it to now try to make 10 correct placements in each quadrant using one rail to get there, than two. This makes it a little tougher, but good in cases where there may be a ball or two in a real game obstructing the natural path.

There is a zen in drills that cannot be replaced. This string reminds me maybe that is what I should be doing this evening ; )

All the best!

Holly

Mike H
05-26-2002, 08:44 AM
I spend about 4-8 hours daily doing drills, playing the ghost, analyzing my break and trying new ones, and working on game situations by myself. Most of the rest of the time is spent at the occasional local tourney, in action, or at a regional tourney, figure about 30-40 hours a week on that.