PDA

View Full Version : Words of Wisdom from the Pros at the Open. 04.

Chris Cass
09-23-2004, 02:55 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just got a tickle from the things I heard from some of the pros from the Open. I think you'll find it just as funny. lol

Walked out to the outside of the conv ctr for a break from in the middle of one of my sets. I ran into Shannon Daulton. I asked Shannon if he could share some advice with me. I told him that I was in the middle of a match and needed some help.

Shannon said, sure buddy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I told Shannon that I couldn't quite catch a gear. I told him my opponent, not mentioniong who, was giving me many opportunities and I couldn't capatalize on them. I told him everytime I was feeling comfortable I'd mess up. I asked his thoughts.

Shannon told me, well, everytime you get a chance to shoot, try to runout. Don't think of what happened before and just try really hard to just get out. LOL

Another time walking outside to the break area. I had lost my final match. I ran into LIL Alex. Alex had been drinking a bit and it was odvious that he was two sheets to the wind, so to say. He held out his hand and asked, What's up man. Why the sad face?

I shook his hand and said loudly as he did. Hi Alex, aww man, I just went out of the tourney. I lost man. He was also out before then too. He said, I hate losing too. I said, why do we have to lose? Do we really have to lose? hahahaha He laughed.

A guy then came up to me on the side and said, you know that Alex is awfully smartass for his size. Someone will shut him up one day. I said, Are you kidding? That kids on top of the world. He should be happy. Heck, he's young, his pic is on the front cover of IP. I'm happy for him too. Nothing wrong with him. lol

At Q-Masters playing with Ras one night. My friend Larry Nevel was there. He btw waved at me and called my name and said hi across the crowd in front of the conv ctr. I returned the hello. I like him tons.

Anyway, Tang Hoa was shooting with Larry on the table next to ares. Tang missed a few shots and was commenting how much he liked his new stroke. His laugh was really funny. I like him too. He walks up to me and asked if I'd like to play some. I told Tang that I couldn't. I was there on a shoestring. He said, what? I told him I was broke or I'd love to play Tang Hoa. He thought that I didn't know who he was. lol

I told him that he wasn't Tang anymore. Then Larry said, Yep, he just a Hoe now. I laughed so hard. Tang laughed also. I know Larry and never knew he had such a great sence of humor. It was funny as Tang' laugh made everyone smile.

Took a pic with Keith outside the ctr as Jen forced him to. LOL Jen told me that Keith when discussing why he didn't get the bye that, I thought he deserved said, Heck, just throw the names in a hat and draw. LOL I thought that made too much sence. lol Seems that they all have that backwards. imho

One night playing some one pocket with my buddy Tom. I had all my balls but one next to my pocket. I hit the one ball near his towards my pocket and a guy I don't even know said, what, you playing 15 ball nocount? What a smarta$$. I was experimenting with the 6 nocount that Tom had mentioned and I never played. I wanted to see what that was all about as I never tried it before. I ended up losing the game to boot. hahaha

That was awesome. I look up and Busty was waiting for our table. Parica yip yapping about everything. Giving some guy the last 6 out, next to us. Luat playing some guy. Scott Frost playing next to us with Pookie.

I elbow Marcus Chamat as he walked by me. I apologised and he brushed it off as it was nothing. I asked if I hurt him. He looked at me like I were crazy. hahaha It hurt my elbow.

Rodney Morris was there walking around. I said, what's up Rodney? He smiled as if he was the cat who ate the rat. Something was up but I didn't know what. LOL

I can't think of all the players that were there maybe Tom can. I'll tell you, I felt like I was at home. These guys all in one place was priceless. I never had so much enjoyment in my entire life. Many treating me knowing I was a player in the event like I was one of them.

I talked to Danny B.( Kid Delicious) at the Open and told him that I felt bad they wouldn't let him play in the ring game. he told me it had been cancelled and that they told him that the reason why he wasn't allowed to play was because he shot too slow. He said, well that's what they told him anyway.

I said, well Danny. You are famous for taking 26 strokes to shoot a ball. He laughed and said, yaa. LOL He's really a nice kid. I thought he always appeared to be sneaky but after talking with him I see he's a young guy and has a good heart. He talked to me like a friend and co-player.

I don't know who my sponsors were but I can truthfully say, I had the best time ever. I loved every minute of it. Despite my wife not being there with my son. Despite having some finacial difficulty which in no way effected my play. Also, would like to thank Dr. D. for allowing me the finacial support from Billiards Workbook. That was great.

I was asked the other day about it from a friend at the ph. I told him I never felt so good about being somewhere playing that at the US Open. I had a ball. Especially, with my ontorage. My friends from the ccb.

BTW, the Open isn't like any other event in the world for an American. It's so great and the feeling of competeing there is one you just have to experience. It's awesome. I discussed it with Steve Lipsky whom I missed this yr BTW. We talked about the play there and the conditions. The pressures and the equipment and the players.

We both came to the conclusion that the Open being such a extremely prestegous event is one that one has to get used top playing at. There's no just walking in and taking it off. There's some that have and that requires much luck and skill.

However, it's an event that you must learn how to play. I also had the same discussion with Voodoo from Fla. Voodoo hinted that he just might have to go there with me next yr and we talked of how I can get the finacial plan to get there from now till then.

It's tough on a fixed income but as I grow stronger and healthier I see I might be able to work some down the road and be ok. But for now, I'd like to thank those specail people that afforded me the opportunity to go this yr. I love you and for what ever reasons you've selected to do this. I for one am truely happy you selected me for your guest. Thank you.

Regards,

C.C.~~being on a shoestring was also cool. It made me feel like before, on the road with Rocketman broke and hungry to play. I never felt more alive then this Open made me feel. I also seem to like to bitch a bit. hahahahaha /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve Lipsky
09-23-2004, 03:17 PM
Awesome post, Chris. You are truly one of the special ones. Hopefully I will be there with you next year, so we can enjoy the madness together /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Steve

ras314
09-23-2004, 03:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> I told him that he wasn't Tang anymore. Then Larry said, Yep, he just a Hoe now. I laughed so hard. Tang laughed also. I know Larry and never knew he had such a great sence of humor. It was funny as Tang' laugh made everyone smile. <hr /></blockquote>
That one had me backing up a bit, Tang Hoe is a big fellow. Sure was glad to see him laughing!

Thing everyone was smiling in relief. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nhp
09-23-2004, 03:30 PM
I think he would get mad if people kept mispelling his last name as Hoe when it's Hoa.

PQQLK9
09-23-2004, 03:33 PM
Great post Chris.
I really wanted to be there to pour a bucket of GatorAid over you /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif but as someone mentioned in another post "family first".
I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself but what is 6 nocount?

Quote... "I was experimenting with the 6 nocount that Tom had mentioned and I never played"

John in NH
09-23-2004, 04:22 PM
Hi Chris,

Sounds like you had so much fun at the open, I'm kind of envious, although I wasn't one of your financial supporters, I was rooting for you to do well just the same.

Looking forward to meeting you at the Midwest Expo.

Regards,

John

Troy
09-23-2004, 04:25 PM
It is fairly obvious that you had too much fun !!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Good for you... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy

ras314
09-23-2004, 04:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> I think he would get mad if people kept mispelling his last name as Hoe when it's Hoa. <hr /></blockquote>
Uh Oh. I sure hope not. Hey, I couldn't even spell "think".

Maybe he doesn't read this forum? Possibably I can shave so he won't reconize me or change hats or something.

9 Ball Girl
09-23-2004, 04:55 PM
Hi Chris! I like the picture of you and Keith, it's pretty cool.

And I absolutely love the atmosphere of Q-Masters during the Open. Any other time, I would hate the smoke but every year during the Open, I welcome it. The music is the best (I'm a classic rock girl), the bright lights right above the tables where they belong so that everyone who is out on the bleacher area or the ones standing around are phased out because the lights are above the tables only. I loved looking out to the bleachers and seeing people sweating the matches, puffing and waiting things out. Yeah, it's the only time of year where you're in a pool room and see the likes of Rodney, Efren, Jose, Corey and others just waltz on in. If you walk out towards the front you'll see Mika, Tony, Francicso and others chowing down on the infamous Barry Burger. Where else can you say that there you were playing and all these guys are in the same pool room at one time just kicking back or whatever.

I can't wait for next year!!!

Barbara
09-23-2004, 05:21 PM
Hey CC!!

You just don't know the knots in my stomach when you had to play Trenton Marty. I really didn't know how youse two would match up, but Marty has more experience on the 9 footers than you do.

I do appreciate you being the gentleman and explaining to Marty that I really have no favorite here, may the best player win.

I'm sorry it wasn't you, Bud.

There's always next year. Go for it!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara~~~and with Heide and Spike....

dg-in-centralpa
09-23-2004, 05:31 PM
Great post! I enjoyed reading about your experiences with the pros. Nice to know that they will help others. You going to Valley Forge? Play with the pros this year?

DG

Chris Cass
09-23-2004, 09:53 PM
Hi That was my fault. I spelled it that way as my friend Larry put it in that term. LOL Ras probably doesn't know that Hoa is spelled as such. I often make the same mistakes and I'll tell ya bud. He's one great guy. Not even knowing him and seeing his reactions while Larry was putting a beating on him was priceless. He's a real good sport. lol

Regards,

C.C.~~I'd a played him some too. I do believe, his serious side would come out, when he's betting it up though. lol

Chris Cass
09-23-2004, 09:57 PM
Hi Ras,

Actually, I messed up first too. I said I, when it should of He. He said to me that he wasn't Tang anymore. HAHAHAHA

See Ras, one week with me will get your spelling all messed up.

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
09-23-2004, 10:04 PM
Hey Dawg,

6 No-count is they don't count unless you pocket 6 in one inning. That's why I sent everything towards my pocket till I had 6 right there that I could make in that inning. I got a bit out of hand and had all ten there. I ran the 6 in and maybe one more but Tom got out. Next time I tangle with Tom I'll make sure I play him tighter. He's went up in play as he's been the new TD at Hard Times. Seems someone has been showing him too much. lol

Regards,

C.C.~~I know now what 6 no count means. You and me start out at 11-6. I play the game pretty good. I think? lol

Chris Cass
09-23-2004, 10:05 PM
Me too John. I'll be aroung the leader board more than likely. Call it the tournament desk.

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
09-23-2004, 10:09 PM
Hi Wendy,

I like the blues myself but it wasn't that smokey in there to me. Matter of fact, it wasn't all that humid in Va this time. Last yr I was really suffering. I also like some other music that would drive some crazy. Songs like Get Low come on and I plain don't miss. hahahaha

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
09-23-2004, 10:13 PM
HAHAHA Hi Steve,

Next yr I'm bringing a voodoo doll. Not to be mistaken for Voodoo' doll. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~we'll tear'm up. lol You know, there's no guarentee for anyone not to go 2 and out no matter who you are. What a field. I believe next yr they'll get that 256 player field.

Chris Cass
09-23-2004, 10:22 PM
Hi Barbara,

I don't place too much emphesis on the difference in tables. The way I look at it is that if you can play? You can play. It's true I only had 2 mths to get it down from the bar boxes but Gabe is a bar box player too.

It was my pleasure playing Marty and if we meet we'll enjoy eachother just the same as I too have many yrs in the game. Adjusting to different games and table size and the various conditions is the norm. Just ask Marty. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I got a chance to play 3C with Mike and although he got me 15-9. I only played 3C 3 times and that was my 3rd. I know he didn't believe me but just ask my wife and everyone that knows me. I do think Mike did give me some chances due to his not feeling well. We both have ulcers that act up and fortunately, my weren't as his were.

If you see him again anytime? Please give him my highest regards. A match well played.

Regards,

C.C.

RailbirdJAM
09-24-2004, 05:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>Took a pic with Keith outside the ctr as Jen forced him to....<hr /></blockquote>

Hi, Chris! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I enjoy taking the pictures, and I'm so glad I got a chance to meet you.

Keith acts like he's swallowing castor oil at times when I'm trying to snap a picture or two. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I'm grateful that you allowed me to take yours and add it to my collection. I think you're one of the good guys, and it's folks like you who make the Open a special event. Where else would a 26-year-old young man have the opportunity of a lifetime to achieve an accomplishment like Gabe Owen of Oklahoma! It's what dreams are made of.

Here's some other pictures from the Open:

Open pictures by RailbirdJAM-Page 4 (http://hometown.aol.com/jamalloy/2004usopenpage4.html)

RailbirdJAM

SPetty
09-24-2004, 06:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> I believe next year they'll get that 256 player field. <hr /></blockquote>That would be more likely if they allowed women to enter. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Chris Cass
09-24-2004, 06:20 AM
Hi Jen,

What great pics. Your the best Jen and I enjoyed finally getting to know a small part of the woman that stands behind her champion. And what a champion too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Man, I've been wanting to meet Danny D for a longtime and I passed the guy atleast 5 times and never knew it was him. Just kick me in the butt. lol

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
09-24-2004, 06:23 AM
Hi SPetty,

Fine by me but what's good for the goose is good for the gander. It'll never happen. Not sure if it should.

Regards,

C.C.

JimS
09-24-2004, 06:34 AM
I didn't know that women were excluded from the US Open. Is it "Open" or is it not open? Do we know why women are not allowed?

#### leonard
09-24-2004, 06:57 AM
Chris what a great post I am happy that you had a BALL at the Open. Sometimes the circus atmosphere overwhelms the brain and it takes two or three events to reach your speed.

A tape recorder at the Open and great book would be in the making. Of course pictures would have to be in the book. Words cannot do justice to the smorgasborg that are poolplayers.

The difference between pro-golfers and poolplayers are the golfers all fit one mold. The Corporte image. ####

Rich R.
09-24-2004, 07:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> I didn't know that women were excluded from the US Open. Is it "Open" or is it not open? Do we know why women are not allowed? <hr /></blockquote>

Jim, this was recently discussed, in another thread. Brady Behrman provided an explanation.

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=152671&amp;Forum=Al l_Forums&amp;Words=Brady_Behrman&amp;Match=Username&amp;Search page=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=152322&amp;Search=tr ue#Post152671

I still do not understand. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Chris Cass
09-24-2004, 07:31 AM
Hi Jim,

At the risk of sounding chovanistic(sp) I'll tell you how I see it. I also thank God for it too. I believe the women shouldn't, be allowed to enter the event. If you allow the women to compete then you must allow the men to compete in the womens events.

Not that there isn't other venues that both can be allowed to play. The men would overrun the womens events because of the larger numbers of men vs women in the sport. This isn't saying some women can't compete with the men but most could not. Probably due to the 200yr headstart we've had in the sport, since the beginning of time.

Now, since the demise of the MPBA. I can only say thank God that the women have the WPBA. That's the only thing that's kept pool going, in the public eye. We'd be in a world of trouble if it all just ended.

Since the popularity of the sport with the women joining the ranks of pro and women moving up in skill levels finally, is starting to come around. It's a welcome relief to all. imho I'm all for both competeing and both having also seperate venues to compete in too. Not all women want to compete with us men. They like the competition amongst themselves as much as men like competeing against eachother too.

It's always been this way with the US Open and I wouldn't change it for the world. One day it might happen but I don't find the women unhappy from not being able to play the US Open. I think they understand tradition and we men also respect the women and their events.

We all want the basic things. For pool to grow and the public to accept us. That's how I see it. A true Open? That only means that the amatures are allowed to compete with the pros. I also see us both competeing in the same events down the road. Lets just be thankful that we have a game televised and in the public eye.

This is just my humble opinion and I'm not the one that can discuss such a controvercial subject. Maybe, Berry can give you the answers you seek. I'm just the little guy and I really don't deserve to compete with the pros myself. Just lucky that someone feels that I do. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Wonder if there's ringmen at the womens events?

Regards,

C.C.~~not in Spankys woman haters club.

Chris Cass
09-24-2004, 07:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr>
The difference between pro-golfers and poolplayers are the golfers all fit one mold. The Corporte image. #### <hr /></blockquote>

I don't know ####? We do have cell phones. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My best,

C.C.~~was sure #### was going to be there at the Open. I would have done better if my mentor was there imho. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee
09-24-2004, 09:20 AM
Chris ole buddy...I have to disagree with ya here. If it were truly an "open" event, it should be open to the women, just as any amateur guy can now pony up his dough and play in the tournament. If a woman has the guts, ambition, and $$$, I see NO reason she should not be allowed to play. The WPBA are just that, WOMEN'S, not OPEN...so men should NOT be allowed to play in those events. If the ladies decided to stage a real 'open' tournament, then the men should be able to play, if they wanted. Truthfully, I doubt that many would, as few male pool egos want to take the chance of getting smoked by one of the top female players...especially in front of a crowd (not to mention that there are always unusual upsets in a game like 9-ball).
I too, believe that men &amp; women will someday compete against each other in the same events. It's already going on in some of the amateur national tournaments (APA for example). Also, I'm pretty sure there's no restrictions against women in the 'semi-pro' tours, such as Joss, Viking, Fury, etc...even if there's a ladies division. Who knows, I might be wrong...but I certainly believe in equality on the pool table, as there is most definitely NO advantage or disadvantage by sex to top performance. Like you said, it has more to do with the long head start of the men. In 10-20 yrs it may be completely different. I, for one, hope so!

Scott Lee

pooltchr
09-24-2004, 09:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Wonder if there's ringmen at the womens events?
<hr /></blockquote>

Chris...You just gave me a visual that will be giving me NIGHTMARES!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif LOL

Wally! Quick! I need a fix!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
09-24-2004, 10:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Wonder if there's ringmen at the womens events?
<hr /></blockquote>

Chris...You just gave me a visual that will be giving me NIGHTMARES!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif LOL

Wally! Quick! I need a fix!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

no prob teach

http://www.elams.org/Events/2003/Boxing/main.jpg

Chris Cass
09-24-2004, 11:55 AM
Oh Bigshot because your hanging around with Randy huh? HAHAHA j/k

It's just the way I see is all. Your right, I see many men and woman alike don't like getting beat by an 12 yr old nowdays. Seems that many ego' get briused. lol

I do think sincerely that we all should just play togather. I just am old school when it comes to tradition and the Open to me is tradition. I know I'm not scoring any points with my wife or any of the women on the board for my stand. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

See ya soon my friend and don't forget, I owe you your lunch. I don't meam food either.

Regards,

C.C.~~never forgot the last encounter. That has got to stop. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Chris Cass
09-24-2004, 11:57 AM
Wally,

Your too funny man. HAHAHAHAHA

Chris Cass
09-24-2004, 12:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Wonder if there's ringmen at the womens events?
<hr /></blockquote>

Wally! Quick! I need a fix!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Geez Steve,

You just past it to me and it was FL grunting like in the 11 rail bank video, while holding the card above his head, topless with those 80's polyester pants on. Lord help me. Yikes!

C.C.~~going to wash his mind out. lol

pooltchr
09-24-2004, 08:43 PM
Wally, You da MAN!!!!!!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JimS
09-25-2004, 06:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Chris ole buddy...I have to disagree with ya here. If it were truly an "open" event, it should be open to the women, just as any amateur guy can now pony up his dough and play in the tournament. If a woman has the guts, ambition, and $$$, I see NO reason she should not be allowed to play. The WPBA are just that, WOMEN'S, not OPEN...so men should NOT be allowed to play in those events. If the ladies decided to stage a real 'open' tournament, then the men should be able to play, if they wanted. Truthfully, I doubt that many would, as few male pool egos want to take the chance of getting smoked by one of the top female players...especially in front of a crowd (not to mention that there are always unusual upsets in a game like 9-ball).
I too, believe that men &amp; women will someday compete against each other in the same events. It's already going on in some of the amateur national tournaments (APA for example). Also, I'm pretty sure there's no restrictions against women in the 'semi-pro' tours, such as Joss, Viking, Fury, etc...even if there's a ladies division. Who knows, I might be wrong...but I certainly believe in equality on the pool table, as there is most definitely NO advantage or disadvantage by sex to top performance. Like you said, it has more to do with the long head start of the men. In 10-20 yrs it may be completely different. I, for one, hope so!

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

Scott, I think you are right on target.

The mens "Open" is not an Open, it's a Mens Open. I believe that it should be a real Open, allowing anyone to play that can put up the entry fee. That's just the way life should be.

If the women then want to have a Womens Open and exclude the men that's up to them. They have that option.

Now......how about having a men's only, or womens only, club/pool hall? Wanna discuss the Masters? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Karatemom
09-25-2004, 07:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> I know I'm not scoring any points with my wife or any of the women on the board for my stand. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

See ya soon my friend and don't forget, I owe you your lunch. I don't meam food either.

Regards,

C.C.~~never forgot the last encounter. That has got to stop. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, you might be surprised to know that I agree with you! Go figure! LOL. I was sitting here wondering, after reading all these posts, that where in the "rule book" does it state that women are not allowed to enter the U.S. Open 9 Ball? After reading Rich's post, linking to Brady's post, it explains everything. There are plenty of Open events where men and women can compete against each other. The U.S. Open doesn't have to be one of them.

You didn't lose any points with that post with me, however, the ringgirl cost you quite a few!

Heide ~ you're busted

#### leonard
09-25-2004, 07:23 AM
Chris,

I am sorry I missed you but this is what I would tell you. Never watch an match without you putting yourself in the shooters body. Soon you can feel the pressure they are experiencing.
It is what I Call HitchHiking or a free ride. Soon your body cannot get enuff of that feeling and you OD on wanting the pressure. That is when you notice your opponents getting sick when they play you.

In the 60s Luther Lassiter had that effect on his opponents.####

Barbara
09-25-2004, 07:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr>
You didn't lose any points with that post with me, however, the ringgirl cost you quite a few!

Heide ~ you're busted <hr /></blockquote>

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I'd hate to be in the Cass household today!!

Get 'em Heide, get 'em!!

Barbara

#### leonard
09-25-2004, 09:10 AM
Jim back around 1970 I played Irving Crane an exhibition at Wolferts Roost CC. It was in conjunction with the Mens League Award Dinner. There was 200+ at dinner then to the Mens Club for the exhibition.

In the Mens section of the Club there was 4 tables and they had set up bleachers to accomodate the crowd. They turned away at least another hundred people. Men who thought for this event it would be opened to women.

Sorry to say they would not for one instance allow women in their sanctuary.####

Scott Lee
09-25-2004, 10:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> See ya soon my friend and don't forget, I owe you your lunch. I don't meam food either.

Regards,

C.C.~~never forgot the last encounter. That has got to stop. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

CC...Better practice up, Mr. U.S. Open contestant...cause this time it's SINGLE elimination for da cheese! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif LMAO
See you Friday mid afternoon.

Scott

JimS
09-27-2004, 05:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> Jim back around 1970 I played Irving Crane an exhibition at Wolferts Roost CC. It was in conjunction with the Mens League Award Dinner. There was 200+ at dinner then to the Mens Club for the exhibition.

In the Mens section of the Club there was 4 tables and they had set up bleachers to accomodate the crowd. They turned away at least another hundred people. Men who thought for this event it would be opened to women.

Sorry to say they would not for one instance allow women in their sanctuary.#### <hr /></blockquote>

Hi ####

I loved your suggestion to Chris about putting yourself in the players body and I'll remember that one for sure and forever!! I'd never thought of it that way and it's got to help re getting used to pressure.

I'm all with the idea of being able to have private clubs that are off grounds for the oppoisite sex. Men and women should have that right...ABSOLUTELY. I think that the fella that runs the Masters is absolutely within his rights to deny women the privilege of playin the Masters. It's their tournament. It's not public property.

It's the same with the pool Open. I'm just saying if it's the "Open" then it ought to be OPEN to men women and children if they have the entry fee....or maybe the name should be changed.

pooltchr
09-27-2004, 06:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr>The mens "Open" is not an Open, it's a Mens Open. I believe that it should be a real Open, allowing anyone to play that can put up the entry fee. That's just the way life should be.

If the women then want to have a Womens Open and exclude the men that's up to them. They have that option. <hr /></blockquote>

As I understand it, the Men's US "Open" is for men only and the Women's US "Open" is for women only. Perhaps the word "Open" should be changed to "Championship" in both cases, since neither is a true "Open".

I personally agree that the event should be open to anyone.
Steve

RedHell
09-27-2004, 06:34 AM
In my opinion the 9-ball US Open is closer to an Open than any other sports Open. Look at the golf, you have to go thru what is it ? 2 or 3 rounds of qualification to get in and there's only like 4 or 5 spots available.

At least with 500$ any man can play in the 9-ball US open.

Maybe the name should be changed for the US Open 9-ball men's championship %?!?!

#### leonard
09-28-2004, 06:23 AM
JimS thank you for acknowledging that tip. Sometimes I think I am wasting my time posting. Usually when I post it is the last post of that topic and no one ever adds more.

I have posted this many times before about playing pool with Joe Canton and him running 100s missing and I would run 10 or so miss and he would run another hundred. After a couple of months of this I started copying his stroke while he was shooting and my game took a giant leap even though my playing time was limited.

It was then that I started when I was at tournaments to not just watch but put myself in the Shooters Shoes. If you were attached to a heart rate monitor while watching you could see the magic your body can perform just watching. Maybe there is a DR. reading this post that would be interested in charting the observers body. Heart,Brain waves etc.

Pro-Golfers had swing analaysis machines that would chart their swing plane etc.####

SPetty
09-28-2004, 10:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> Usually when I post it is the last post of that topic and no one ever adds more.<hr /></blockquote>Thanks for all your posts ####. I read every one of them. Perhaps you have the definitive answer, so no one needs to respond further. I just wanted to make sure that didn't happen again on this post. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

#### leonard
09-28-2004, 10:19 AM
SPetty,
I never thought that, after me there is nothing more to say.

I thank you for giving me a new outlook on my pool postings and a smile to my face.####

Chris Cass
09-28-2004, 10:54 AM
Hi ####,

I'm sorry you feel that way. Please don't stop posting ever. I for one have hung on every word you've ever spoken. I've done everything you've ever advised also. I look for your posts as well as others most likely have.

Your not alone in what your feeling sometimes. K-Mom, has felt the same way although her's is too another degree. She's also told me numerous times that she's felt that she cannot contribute much to the board for her lack of knowledge of the game. Also feeling that noone replies, like she doesn't exist. As your's being your feeling noone has been listening.

I put it to her like this and I will tell you the same. If you want replies you must ask a question. Everyone including the lurker reads most of the stuff on here and many won't reply to a statement. Makes perfect sence to me.

In my experience over the yrs. I have ran across 2 or 3 people that I met at tourneys that are strickly lurkers. They've came up to me and introduced themselves as such. They've all told me the same things. They've said they've enjoyed my posts and was honored to meet me.

I'm like, what? It blows my mind as I don't feel like I've contributed a thing. I give my take and such on the way I see things. All strickly in my humble opinion as just take it or leave it. It made me feel good as Jim has made you feel.

It takes only one person to help you feel like you've done something to better the sport. Like making a great shot in practice after screwing up some or just hitt'em ok. That one shot was worth all the hrs and feels great.

So, bottom line is and I've spoken to Mr. Lipky about you too. I told him how you felt about him also. He only confirms my thoughts. Your the best we have for many reasons. Your definitely the best player here with the most to offer.

It doesn't mean you have to be currently playing in the least. Your a champion by any standards. If Steve didn't hit a ball from here and forward and just threw down his cue that doesn't change a thing. He is still a great player and champion. Not at your level but he has definitely the capabilities. I'm not at Steve' level as well, but I could be, with your help one day.

David Sopolis and others that shoot among the champion level, would say the same. You sir hold the record many today, can't compete with nor break. How could you think noone would listen to you my dear friend and mentor?

I challenge you to ask a question once in awhile and see if you don't get a reply. You could always through in your opinion fom experience and see what others think and ask their opinion and just watch, you'll get an answer.

Regards,

C.C.~~#### Leonards student of the game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
09-28-2004, 12:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr>
...After a couple of months of this I started copying his stroke while he was shooting and my game took a giant leap even though my playing time was limited....

<hr /></blockquote>

####, I have experienced the hitch-hiking effect as you have described. Sometimes after attending a tournament, sometimes after watching a Mike Sigel or Jim Rempe play straight pool on tape.

I was hoping for the same thing to happen after the attending the US Open but alas, it was not to be. I'm shooting ok but the rolls are few and far between. I lost a league match last night to a D player 2-0 after missing only one makeable ball /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

and I appreciate everything you write, despite the fact that you are a die-hard Democrat /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
09-28-2004, 12:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> SPetty,
I never thought that, after me there is nothing more to say... <hr /></blockquote>

####, Rush Limbaugh says the same thing about his statements /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just kidding, I know how you feel about Rush /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ross
09-28-2004, 01:18 PM
####leonard - just remember this rule of thumb - the more reasonable your post the fewer replies. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Keep posting - I enjoy reading your stories.

Chris Cass
09-28-2004, 03:06 PM
Geez,

I must be off the charts. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif hahahahahha

C.C.~~what's up my jumping friend Ross? did you ever get to try that shot later sometime?

JimS
09-29-2004, 05:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> JimS thank you for acknowledging that tip. Sometimes I think I am wasting my time posting. Usually when I post it is the last post of that topic and no one ever adds more.

<hr /></blockquote>

Funny how we never know what's going on in a persons mind. I'd have certainly never guessed the you could possibly feel that you might not be noticed or listened to. You are the #1 poster on my list!! I, for one, just took for granted that you would know that you are among the most listened to and highly respected people that participate in this forum. It's always posts from you, Rod, Fred, CC, Grady, and a few others that get my highest attention. ####, your stories are wonderful. You really should put them in book form or find a ghost author to do it for you. The time is soon coming when there won't be anyone around to tell those important stories.

(Speaking of a few others...anyone heard anything of Howie Pearl? I miss him.)

It's a big deal to me when a pro... a "star", is nice to me. It really makes my day when ####, Howie, and other pros answer my questions, treat me with respect, etc.

I felt REAL good when I went to my first ever pro tournament in Metropolis a couple years back and my "hero's" (Nick, Buddy, Johnny, Grady, etc) were shooting the bull with me just like I was one of them. It was like the time when I was 10 and I got to say "hey" to Stan "The Man", and Hank Sauer!!

Reading your posts ####, is like having Buddy and Nick standing there and listening to me and responding to me or having Stan "The Man" pat me on the shoulder and telling the 10 yr old me "keep practicing son".

####, you are one of those "heros" a "STAR". Here I am....61 yrs old and I still have the hero worship thing going on. ####, Buddy, Nick, John Force, Eddie Hill, CC ( Yeah Chris...I know that you don't belong in the same player catagory as #### and Buddy but after reading in the archives what you went through a couple years back when I wasn't around you do belong in the "special human being that deserves my respect" catagory).

####.........get that book taped! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Chris Cass
09-29-2004, 06:37 AM
Oh, Don't belong aaa. I'll have you no I have a Stroke Trainer now buddy and #### is my mentor. So, look to see me soon join those elite ranks. I'm also tight with Steve Lipsky too. I also had dinner with Grady and high fived Alex and got some advice from Shannon D. and took a pic with Keith and and and. HAHAHAHA Thank you Jim. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Can't forget Voodoo.

What really happened to me in the archives was just a thing God made me go through to pull up my game. I'm sure that doesn't qualify me to join the ranks as the few that are in that elite crowd you mentioned. I will agree about ####. You know he's over them too. He's in a class by itself. I think Cappelle refers to it as World Beater.

Regards,

C.C.~~I've heard of your battle too and I know yours was onme that I concider very worthy by anyones standards.

#### leonard
09-30-2004, 07:45 AM
Wally and everyone thanks for boosting my spirit. I am glad to see the responses. Now I have to get on that book.####

RichardCranium
09-30-2004, 04:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> Wally and everyone thanks for boosting /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gifmy spirit. I am glad to see the responses. Now I have to get on that book.#### <hr /></blockquote>

#### leonard You have already written the book...Just pull up all your posts....(I have).....(over 500+).....That's a pretty big book....Then of course there is Rod....(2000+)....He's written a whole fricken series.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I don't buy books any more.....All I have to do is come here and either do a search in the posts or ask a question and I get my answer without ever having to crack a book...

For instance I'll bet money that If I asked some crazy question like what were the first billiard balls made from or what kind of wood were the first cues made from....SOMEONE would know...(TOO EASY)

Chris Cass
09-30-2004, 08:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RichardCranium:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> Wally and everyone thanks for boosting /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gifmy spirit. I am glad to see the responses. Now I have to get on that book.#### <hr /></blockquote>

#### leonard You have already written the book...Just pull up all your posts....(I have).....(over 500+).....That's a pretty big book....Then of course there is Rod....(2000+)....He's written a whole fricken series.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I don't buy books any more.....All I have to do is come here and either do a search in the posts or ask a question and I get my answer without ever having to crack a book...

For instance I'll bet money that If I asked some crazy question like what were the first billiard balls made from or what kind of wood were the first cues made from....SOMEONE would know...(TOO EASY)

<hr /></blockquote>

Rod will give Steven King a run for his money. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

C.C.~~lmao