PDA

View Full Version : money game of a lifetime?

dvsmnstr
09-24-2004, 08:58 AM
I just joined this forum so hello from newbieville!
this happend last night hope you enjoy!

long, but good read!

hey guys, I had a chance to win some big money last night at my local bar at sometimes work at.. A well known football player was in there shooting pool with some of his friends and my dollar was up next.. I play the pro and I played really bad, not on purpose tho. Few games go buy and my dollar is up again so I play and he wants to bet me 50 bucks to play.. i'm like nah he says ok I'll give you 4 balls off the table (like the old pool hustle) and I still decline so we just play..(maybe because i'm only 22 he thought I wasn't too good) he broke made in a ball then I went and cleared the table.. he was kinda puzzeld... so I beat a few of his friends and its his turn again.. he ask's me to play for $100 this time I know I could be him very easily still said no because for some strange reason if I lost I can't afford to lost 100 bucks. I played him one more time and beat him pretty bad.. then he calls one of his friends on the cell to come down and try to beat me.. so he tells me "I have a friend coming in a few minutes want to play him for some real money?" at this point after winning 10 or so games in a row am thinking man I could really use the money and they deserve for me to take it.. but there is always that what if?? the short and funny ending to my story is when his friend walks in he looks at me and says "I ain't playing that kid he kicks my ass every time we play! he is really really good.. haha what a backfire!! so as I was leaving I said to the football player "how about that big bet game now?" and he just said nah.. hehe! this is all true so I hope you enjoyed it!

Deeman2
09-24-2004, 09:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dvsmnstr:</font><hr>
hey guys, I had a chance to win some big money last night at my local bar at sometimes work at.. <hr /></blockquote>

Respectfully, you should have called this thread "almost a game of a lifetime" or "yet, another missed opportunity." /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Deeman

RichardCranium
09-24-2004, 09:18 AM
Well I know why he could not beat you....He must have been to busy staring at your CHEST!!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PQQLK9
09-24-2004, 09:21 AM
nice story...don't need his name but the name and location of the room would be appreciated. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

dvsmnstr
09-24-2004, 09:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>

Respectfully, you should have called this thread "almost a game of a lifetime" or "yet, another missed opportunity." /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Deeman

<hr /></blockquote>

thats, why I have the (?) in the title.

Scott Lee
09-24-2004, 09:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dvsmnstr:</font><hr> he ask's me to play for $100 this time I know I could be him very easily still said no because for some strange reason if I lost I can't afford to lost 100 bucks. <hr /></blockquote>

dvsmnstr...This shows that you have some smarts! Never bet what you cannot afford to lose. Some pool gamblers can get by playing 'short', but it is long odds, and in the unlikely scenario that you DID lose, you wouldn't want that football player (and/or his friends) to be putting the strong arm on you, would you? The other side of this, is that he was playing solely on ego, and had you beaten him, and/or his friends, out any significant amount of money, there's certainly the chance that they would have followed you outside to "recoup their losses" by one way or another.
I never gambled that way myself. I just came in, said I could play good, and had money..."Who wants to play"? That will certainly get you action, and you're not trying to hustle someone. Also, if you're going to play for that kind of money, I'd recommend having someone large on the side to back you up, in the eventuality of trouble (like Wally in Cincy, Deeman, or Voodoo Steve). Most guys, like that 'famous' football player, don't like to lose, and their egos often get in the way of a gracious loss. Although you may have 'lost an opportunity' to make $$$, you gained a lot of respect for yourself...especially knowing (and showing) that you had it over them skill-wise!
As a professional I am frequently 'goaded' by other players trying to get me to gamble (which I no longer do). I just reply that, a) I don't need their money, and b) I'd be more than happy to kick their ass for free! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Most of the time they decline, and for the ones that don't...I'll compliment them and shake their hand regardless of who wins!

Scott Lee

dvsmnstr
09-24-2004, 09:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dvsmnstr:</font><hr> he ask's me to play for $100 this time I know I could be him very easily still said no because for some strange reason if I lost I can't afford to lost 100 bucks. <hr /></blockquote>

dvsmnstr...This shows that you have some smarts! Never bet what you cannot afford to lose. Some pool gamblers can get by playing 'short', but it is long odds, and in the unlikely scenario that you DID lose, you wouldn't want that football player (and/or his friends) to be putting the strong arm on you, would you? The other side of this, is that he was playing solely on ego, and had you beaten him, and/or his friends, out any significant amount of money, there's certainly the chance that they would have followed you outside to "recoup their losses" by one way or another.
I never gambled that way myself. I just came in, said I could play good, and had money..."Who wants to play"? That will certainly get you action, and you're not trying to hustle someone. Also, if you're going to play for that kind of money, I'd recommend having someone large on the side to back you up, in the eventuality of trouble (like Wally in Cincy, Deeman, or Voodoo Steve). Most guys, like that 'famous' football player, don't like to lose, and their egos often get in the way of a gracious loss. Although you may have 'lost an opportunity' to make $$$, you gained a lot of respect for yourself...especially knowing (and showing) that you had it over them skill-wise!
As a professional I am frequently 'goaded' by other players trying to get me to gamble (which I no longer do). I just reply that, a) I don't need their money, and b) I'd be more than happy to kick their ass for free! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Most of the time they decline, and for the ones that don't...I'll compliment them and shake their hand regardless of who wins!

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

thanks for the kind words bud! yea I was trying to get a point across to never bet what you can't lose.. it can never end up good.

heh, and I never worry about anyone following me outside.. I work there and am in charge of the very big bouncers /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
luckily I am very good friends with the bar owner, I have known him my whole life.. he even lets me drive his 360 modena /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a pool tournement tonight that we run every friday so good luck to me! hehe cya guys around!

Rod
09-24-2004, 01:14 PM
When I was a young man in LA, I lost my job. Money was scarce and I needed some. LOL I decided to visit my girlfriend at the bar where she worked. Talking to her some older guy wanted to play pool so I said ok. He asked to play for 2 bucks, sure I was game. That bet kept increasing to a hundred. I'd win two and loose 1 more or less. That game lasted for some time. I really don't remember how much I won but somewhere well over $1000. The guy still had a big wad of money but decided to quit. Oh no don't leave me!! LOL I tried everything, even giving up what could be called a ridiculous spot. It didn't work. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif One thing though the money could not have come at a better time. It still wasn't my game of a lifetime though, I just happen to think of it.

Rod

JimS
09-25-2004, 07:00 AM
Hi Rod,

I love to hear what was the game of YOUR liftime! I don't mean to be nosy...I just like your stories.