PDA

View Full Version : cost of re-cloth/installations?

table_tech
09-24-2004, 05:33 PM
i'm new to the board and just wanted to say hi to everyone,i am an installer/mechanic in charlottesville,va and i was curious to what some of you are paying for installations,re-cloths and moves in your part of the country? thanks.

ras314
09-24-2004, 07:50 PM
Two I know of in this sorta out of the way place.

One was a eight ft., one way travel distance 100 miles, one person with lots of unskilled labor on hand, forsterman sp? cloth recover job; $300

Second was 9 ft Diamond pro, delivered 200 miles one way, two people, set up including light, two people, cloth not included; $500

The Diamond is mine. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooldaddy9
09-25-2004, 03:25 AM
I have an 8' Gandy. The guy comes 60 miles away. I furnish my own cloth and he charges me 125.00 for covering and 25.00 for travel. He does a fantastic job, as he also re-levels the table too.

SnakebyteXX
09-25-2004, 06:43 AM
Nor Cal Prices (recent bids):

I sold my old GC II and bought a 1945 Brunswick to replace it. The older table was about 125 miles away. It needed to be disassembled and transported from there to here. One company that I contacted that was within twenty miles of the table's location wanted two hundred dollars for disassembly alone (I transport). They were quick to point out that taking a table apart wasn't that big of a deal and that I could and should do it myself. They were right.

Before I decided to do it myself, I contacted another 'authorized' Brunswick mechanic who was about fifty miles from the table's location. He offered to disassemble and deliver it to me for SEVEN HUNDRED dollars (yikes!). For a grand total of $800 he was 'willing' to set it up for me once it was here (however this $800 total cost did not include the cost of re-covering the table or the cloth to do it with. My cost for Simonis 860 to cover a nine footer? $180 off the Net. ). Beats me how a guy like that stays in business - maybe I'm wrong but I thought that his prices were outrageous.

When it came down to the final decision I took tools in hand and lots of helpful information from the Internet and elsewhere I disassembled and transported the table myself. My cost? About $40 in gas and a few hours of elbow grease.

Turns out that breaking down a pool table is NOT rocket science. This is not to say that you can't screw things up (break them) while taking a table apart or moving it - just that it can be done if you're up for it and if you are careful and pay attention and study up on what you need to know before you try it.

Assembly:

Locally, I called three different places for bids on re-assembling the table. The nearest pool hall owner and table mechanic (15 miles away) offered to do it for between $250 and $350 (with me supplying $180 worth of Simonis). The next closest pool hall owner with resident mechanic (25 miles away) bid the job at $500 (Simonis supplied by me). My third option and the one that came with the highest recommendations for top quality workmanship was seventy miles away. They wanted $450 to do the job with the Simonis supplied by me.

-------------------------------------------
Having said all this in my opinion ultimately when it comes to paying a table mechanic to set up a table for you - price is NOT the object. The object is to have the table set up properly. This is NOT a small thing - in fact it's the ONLY thing. An improperly set up table will not play properly - it will then become a source of constant aggravation, irritation and dissatisfaction instead of a source of pleasure and a point of pride. This does not mean that the highest bidder is automatically going to be the guy who does the best work. It means that you need to get as many references as you possibly can BEFORE you decide who to trust with this precious job. My advice? Pay attention to the references first and the cost of the job last.

I learned this the hard way. The guy who originally set up my GC II was the classic example of a mechanic who claimed to know what he was doing - and didn't. He offered to set the table up for me as part of the cost of buying the table from him (he was a former pool hall owner). In defense of my stupidity in hiring him I can only say that I had never been through it before and had no prior experience with which to judge a good or bad job. That's still not a good enough excuse...

In the end - I paid for my ignorance with a totally crappy end result. The guy was totally lame. He left out two screws that tied the slates to the frame - and broke off one without replacing it - he didn't properly level the slates - he didn't properly fill the blems in the slates with Plaster of Paris - he overwrapped the rails so that the cloth bunched up beneath them making the rail height uneven - he failed to pull the Simonis really tight before he tacked it down so that it was loose enough to wrinkle up when you slid your hand across it... This guy was a fricking walking nightmare and I was the naive idiot who hired him thinking that he knew what he was doing and that I was saving myself some money by having him do the job. WRONG!

Live and Learn.

Snake -- paid with heartbreak to learn the difference between a good mechanic and a bad one

Troy
09-25-2004, 07:32 AM
A quality table mechanic will always verify level and slate "even-ness" using a Machinist Level as part of the job.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooldaddy9:</font><hr> I have an 8' Gandy. The guy comes 60 miles away. I furnish my own cloth and he charges me 125.00 for covering and 25.00 for travel. He does a fantastic job, as he also re-levels the table too. <hr /></blockquote>

table_tech
09-25-2004, 07:35 AM
thanks for the replys,in my area they are several dealers that do it for around 350$ for a recloth,450 500 with simonis,moves run around 250$,advertising dollar doesnt always get u the best installation nor does the cheapest quote.the best thing to do is to get some references from the installer,ask alot of questions to test the installers paitience,an impaitient mechanic/installer is not one that you want to use.