PDA

View Full Version : Parsippany hosts N.J. pool tourney

PQQLK9
09-25-2004, 05:09 AM
09/24/04 - Posted 12:00:20 AM from the Daily Record newsroom
Parsippany hosts N.J. pool tourney

By Matt Underwood, Daily Record

PARSIPPANY — Beginning today and running through the championship final on Sunday, Comet Billiards in Parsippany will be hosting the New Jersey Straight Pool Championship, one of the only 14.1 continuous tournaments on the east coast.

The event, in its third year, was the brain child of one of the best straight pool players the Garden State has ever seen: Jack Colavita.

A six-time New Jersey State Champion, Colavita has been striving to bring billiards to the public eye ever since he picked up a cue as a youngster.

“I talked to Bill Haley, owner of Comet Billiards, about starting up a tournament and seeing what kind of interest we could get,” said Colavita. “It’s good to see that it has grown so much. This year, we have some of the top players from around the world coming to compete. It should be a lot of fun.”

The event has grown so much over the past two years that “Gentlemen” Jack had to send out invitations to the top players first, rather than opening the field to the public right away.

Joining Colavita, one of only a few players with a career-high run of 300 balls or better, in the power packed field is ESPN billiard analyst and former Professional Pool Player’s Association (PPPA) World Title holder Allen Hopkins.

Hopkins’ career has spanned four decades, with major wins coming in 9-ball, one-pocket and straight pool.

Legends such as Dallas West and “Machine Gun” Lou Butera, named for his quick shooting style, will make the trip to Parsippany looking for another title to add to their credit.

But the man to beat this year and the No. 1 overall seed is New Yorker Tony Robles. Robles finished second last year behind Thorsten Hohmann, who couldn’t make the trip from Germany.

“We’ve got a couple of Hall-of-Famers playing is this year’s events,” said Haley, whose business will be closed to recreational players for the weekend. “It should be an interesting event from beginning to end.”

Colavita has also done a lot to draw the public into the event, not just billiard aficionados.

“There’s going to be a lot going on other than just great pool,” said Colavita. “We’re going to raffle off three or four handmade pool cues, valued at about a thousand dollars apiece. There’s also going to be other prizes and giveaways. We want to get kids interested in the game.”

Matt Underwood can be reached at (973) 428-6684.
http://www.dailyrecord.com/sports/pro/sports3-092404pool.htm

Barbara
09-25-2004, 06:15 AM
Bill and Marcia Haley are super hosts of a truly great room and do all they can for the sport of pool.

They'll be hosting JPNEWT twice next year, our first tour stop in February and again in June.

Barbara

Wally_in_Cincy
09-25-2004, 08:08 AM
OK that's it. Next year I'm going to this one or the earlier one in the Philly area. Barbara, was that earlier tourney at houseman's place? I can't recall.

thanks

Barbara
09-25-2004, 09:46 AM
Wally,

Pete Sinkler's 14.1 invitational at houseman's place was in August this year.

If you go, I'll meet ya there!! Both events are pretty awesome!!

Barbara

Wally_in_Cincy
09-25-2004, 09:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Wally,

Pete Sinkler's 14.1 invitational at houseman's place was in August this year.

If you go, I'll meet ya there!! Both events are pretty awesome!!

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks. I'm serious about going. After my 4-day trip to Virginny I've got my driving shoes on /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

and Lord knows I'll never see a world-class 14.1 tourney around here.

dmgwalsh
09-27-2004, 07:01 AM
Anybody know the results of this tournament?

Steve Lipsky
09-27-2004, 07:08 AM
I do. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Steve

Steve Lipsky
09-27-2004, 07:09 AM
I am proud to report that my friend Danny Barouty has won this prestigious tournament. Even Danny, who's usually remarkably modest about his game, was telling me he felt and was playing good throughout the event.

I don't think he ever ran a hundred, but it sounds like he ran at least an 80 or so in many of his matches.

Congrats also to Bob Maidhof, who made it to the finals with Danny. Santos Sambajon came in 3rd... not sure about 4th/5th.

I am soooo mad that I couldn't be there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

- Steve

dmgwalsh
09-27-2004, 07:13 AM
Sounds like a great event. I wonder how Hopkins, Butera, West, Robles and others shot. Do you think the results are posted anywhere?

PQQLK9
09-27-2004, 07:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> Sounds like a great event. I wonder how Hopkins, Butera, West, Robles and others shot. Do you think the results are posted anywhere? <hr /></blockquote>

"ask and ye shall receive" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barouty impressive in pool championship

By Matt Underwood, Daily Record

PARSIPPANY — The New Jersey Straight Pool Championship came down to the final four contestants Sunday afternoon at Comet Billiards in Parsippany.

In the end, only one man would be left standing. Danny Barouty defeated Pennsylvania native Bob Maidhof in the final match 200-73 to capture the title and the $5,000 first prize.

Barouty’s road to the final didn’t really begin until Sunday afternoon. After defeating Greg Hill 150-1 in the opening round, Barouty cruised through his next two matches, beating pro Danny Harriman 150-16.

In a preview of what would be the final match, Barouty defeated Maidhof 150-19 in the final four of the winner’s bracket. The only man left standing in his way was Santos Sambajan, one in a long line of Filipino professional players.

Sambajan gave Barouty a run, but in the end couldn’t put the match away, losing by 26 balls and having to settle for third place.

After a trick shot display by Steve Lillis, Tony Robles and Harriman, the finals were ready to begin on the feature table.

Trailing 48-21, Maidhof was presented with a golden opportunity to make a comeback when Barouty missed what appeared to be an easy shot on the seven ball with the rack wide open for the taking.

Maidhof left his opportunity knocking, and Barouty took advantage, running 31 balls to jump out to an 81-24 lead.

Maidhof wouldn’t quit, running 47 balls to pull within ten balls, but Barouty once again responded, as he had all tournament long, with a 54-ball run of his own to take a commanding lead and essentially put the match away.

As Billiard Congress of America senior level referee Ed Smith announced that Barouty needed only one ball, people slowly began to rise to their feet. As the one ball fell into the corner pocket, the crowd began to applaud and Barouty appeared to relax.

“This was a great event, I had a lot of fun being involved in it again this year,” said tournament founder Jack Colavita, who placed fifth overall. “It was good to see some of the legends of the game here this weekend, teaching the younger guys a thing or two. I’m looking forward to next year already.”

Maidhof didn’t go home empty handed for his efforts, earning $2,500 for second place. ESPN analyst and billiard champion Allen Hopkins took fourth place. Dallas West, who posted the tournaments’ high run of 112, finished sixth.

Matt Underwood can be reached at (973) 428-6684.
http://www.dailyrecord.com/sports/pro/sports4-092704pool.htm

Eric.
09-27-2004, 07:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> Sounds like a great event. I wonder how Hopkins, Butera, West, Robles and others shot. Do you think the results are posted anywhere? <hr /></blockquote>

I stopped in on Sat. As always, it was a well run event with a talented field. Hopkins had a tight match with Maidhoff. It went back and forth til the score was around 75-73. From there, Maidhof ran out for the win. One of the more dominating matches was Robles vs. Rodriguez. Robles steamrolled Flaco, who can play a little too. The final score was something like 150 - 9. In reality, it wasn't even that close. Basically, Tony had runs of 72(?) and 78 or so and I think the match was over in two innings. I think Flaco shot twice. Another notable run was by Dallas West witha 112. What I love about this guy is how smooth he does it. Never forces the ball and moves effortlessly around and thru the stack. Then there's Danny Barouty. He was unstoppable this weekend. I think that was the general concensus among everybody. He was a man on a mission this weekend, played solid and made few mistakes.

If you love Straight Pool, this is one of the better events. Gotta check it out.

Eric

9 Ball Girl
09-27-2004, 08:27 AM
Barouty Wins! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif (http://azbilliards.com/2000storya.cfm?storynum=2111)

Complete Payouts:
1st Danny Barouty $5,000
2nd Bob Maidhof $2500
3rd Santos Sambajon $1000
4th Allen Hopkins $700
5th/6th Jack Colavita, Dallas West $400
7th/8th Tony Robles, Danny Harriman $300
9th/12th Steve Lillis, Tom Walter, Lou Butera, Flaco Rodriquez $250