PDA

View Full Version : BCA Women's Pro Event - Congrats Melissa

05-15-2002, 09:30 AM
The BCA pro event is trudging along after 3 days of competition. In the women's draw, the biggest surprise so far would have to be the play of CCB participant Melissa Herndon (Melissa in CA). She's among the final 8 on the winner's side (which means guaranteed no worse than a 9th place finish for the tourney). Melissa recorded perhaps her most impressive win so far in her young career, defeating Jennifer Chen in her last match.

Other minor upsets so far would include Dodson over Thornfeldt, Jones over Hofstatter (apparently pumped up from her recent BCA HOF induction) and Kuczma over Kjoersvik.

Allison narrowly escaped an earlier than usual trip to one-loss bracket in a hill-hill 9-8 win over Japan's Kajatani in the 3rd round, and Fran is still alive in the one loss bracket having won her last match.

With a number of the top foreign players in the field (Mei-Lui, Kajatani, Ga-Young among others) this is unquestionably the strongest assembled women's field of the year. Finals won't be until Saturday - when IMO it's likely it will as usual come down to Fisher, Corr and/or possibly the defending champion Jeanette Lee. - Chris in NC

Doctor_D
05-15-2002, 10:00 AM
Good afternoon Chris:

Thank-you for the update.

Additionally, where have you been? You have been missed Sir.

Dr. D.

Rich R.
05-15-2002, 10:13 AM
Melissa must be playing very strong. After defeating Julie Kelly in the first round and now Jennifer Chen, this is going to be a great tournament for her confidence. Rich R.

Rip
05-16-2002, 06:39 AM
Melissa beat Robin Dodson in the 8pm session last night 9-4. Melissa is playing with such confidence and poise! Go Melissa! SPetty and I watched her play and enjoyed every minute of the match. Regards, Rip

05-16-2002, 08:23 AM
It's great to see a player who has worked so hard get out there and send some of the veteran pros across the bracket.
I also congratulate Megan Smith and Stacy Hurst for earning Touring Pro status at this tournament, and Kim Shaw for earning Active Pro status.

Karla <-- loves to see things get shook up a bit!

Doctor_D
05-16-2002, 08:34 AM
Good morning:

There is, with-out a doubt, some very strong talent to be found on the Nine (9) regional tours which are sanctioned by the WPBA. Needless to say, over a short period of time, these regional tour players will be displacing many of the existing Touring Pros.

Dr. D.

Holly
05-16-2002, 08:59 AM
Hi Everyone - How's it going?

It is great to see everyone playing so well! Maybe one day, in the not too distant future there will be 96 and 128 field professional women's events. Pushing the envelope has often resulted in positive progress.

Happy Thursday and see ya soon,
Holly

Doctor_D
05-16-2002, 09:17 AM
Good morning:

Yes, the 128 player field is in the future for professional women's tournaments. And to think, back in December, I was told that a 64 player field was not possible because the WPBA already had all of the talent that was available.

Talk about thinking small.

Dr. D.

05-16-2002, 01:43 PM
Karla, it is indeed very good to see Melissa and Megan earning their pro tour status and I pass on my congrats as well. Perhaps the tremendous pressure of obtaining that tour status will now be lifted and these two can now get down to the business of performing up to their considerable potentials in WPBA events.

This now marks the 2nd tourney in a row a new player has broken through and made it to the final 4 on the winner's bracket - last tourney it was Sarah Ellerby. IMO this is very encouraging for the women's tour (and for all the talented young WPBA players) to be showing signs of new faces finally breaking through and challenging the established old guard. - Chris in NC

05-16-2002, 03:02 PM
Correction to my earlier post: Kim Shaw has enough pro points to be an active pro, but I don't believe she's competed in enough events. One more invite will do it for active pro status, I think. Having only competed in four events and gaining four pro points is a major accomplishment in itself!

Karla

05-19-2002, 06:24 PM
Thanks to everyone for the support and congratulations!! I had such a wonderful time and am very happy to get the "Pro Status Blues" off my mind. I just wish I had had a little more confidence going into the match with Karen Corr....I lost 9-7, but missed a 6-ball to reach the hill first. I guess a little dog came up and bit me on the behind!!!

Thanks again....talk to you all soon!!

Melissa

SPetty
05-21-2002, 07:44 AM
Melissa, you did great. It was awesome watching you go up 3-0 on Karen Corr before it got her attention. You kept just about even with her all the way through that match. Your wonderful attitude and great talent and concentration, plus that little bit of audience interaction, really shined (shone?) through. I was glad I had the chance to interrupt you at the Predator table to let you know in person how great you are!

05-21-2002, 10:18 AM
Melissa, congrats again on a great tourney showing! Even in your loss to Karen, do you have any idea how few players (other than the top 6 or 8) have even gotten more than 4 or 5 games off of her in a tourney match in the past few years? Now you know you can play with her (or Allison) - and not many can say that! - Chris in NC

05-21-2002, 04:16 PM
Thank you so much for the wonderful words! I still am having a hard time letting everything soak in! I am very glad you came and found me at the Predator booth to say hello - and it meant the world to me that you enjoyed watching my matches. This tournament was such a confidence booster...and having friends and fans be so supportive was a huge part of that boost. I look forward to seeing you again!!!!