PDA

View Full Version : Local man killed in wacky stunt involving bull

Wally_in_Cincy
09-27-2004, 05:34 AM
http://www.wcpo.com/news/2004/local/09/26/rodeocontest_fatal.html

<font color="blue">A sad tale from Grant County KY, just about 40 miles over the river from Cincy, and home of Roger Bingham ("Kentucky Joe" from "Survivor-Outback")</font color>

... a Walton family is grieving the loss of a Tri-state man who died shortly after a run-in Saturday night with a rodeo bull.

Charles Davis, 48-years old, was just a regular audience member at the Grant County Fairgrounds in Crittenden.

Davis took part in a contest known as the "Ring of Fear" or "Last Man Standing."

The contest involves members of the audience who stand in the arena, inside a small, individual circle drawn around them.

A bull is then agitated and made to run through a chute into the arena.

<font color="blue">Does anyone see the possibility of something going awry here?</font color>

The last person in his or her circle wins $50.

But it wasn't luck that struck Charles Davis -- it was a bull.

"That bull come at him," <font color="blue">Phonetically, this would be </font color><font color="red"> "the bull come at 'eem" </font color> said one witness. "And just drills him real hard in the side and knocks 'em back."

"He hit him again and then he kind of went up in the air and hit the ground pretty bad," said the witness.

And while the bull did not have horns, it still weighs more than 1,000 pounds.

William Engle, a rodeo fan, talked to Davis after he was hit.
"I asked him if he was alright," said Engle. "He said, 'Yeah, I'm alright,' and like 15-20 minutes later he collapsed."

Marcus Fannin is the owner of the "3 Bar F" Rodeo Tour.
Fannin says he requires participants in the "Last Man Standing" contest to sign liability waivers.

"Mr. Davis signed the waiver," said Fannin. "They were told. The crowd, everybody knew the risk."

Fannin says the contest is common to rodeos everywhere.
"We wait until we buck 30 bulls so the crowd can get a good idea exactly what these bulls are made out of," said Fannin.

"It's just something expected during a rodeo," said Chris Kenney, a rodeo fan. "He gets hit, people go 'Ahhh!,' and next thing you know it's over with."

But for Fannin it wasn't part of the show on Sunday.
When 9News asked Fannin if he had planned a "Ring of Fear" or "Last Man Standing" contest scheduled for Sunday, he said, "Yes, I did -- out of respect for their family I decided not to do it."

Rob Wells, who was a "Ring of Fear" participant, said even though he got hurt, he still had fun. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

"Well, I didn't do it for the money," said Wells. "I just did it. They were just asking for nine volunteers -- I don't know why I did it."

9News tried to contact the Davis family Sunday to see if they will pursue any legal action against the "3 Bar F" Rodeo -- waiver notwithstanding.

Davis had recently undergone abdominal surgery but the coroner has not yet released a cause of death.
In the meantime, "3 Bar F" Rodeo plans to continue having the contests.

<font color="blue">I used to date a girl from Grant County. They know how to party down there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

PQQLK9
09-27-2004, 12:21 PM
Poor fellow, I guess it's like when Adrian asked Rocky why he wanted to fight....he said "I can't sing or dance". /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

wolfdancer
09-27-2004, 01:39 PM
Wally, that's really a tragedy...a stupid idea,and an unnecessary death, and the promoter sounds pretty callous, with his remarks.