PDA

View Full Version : Barouty impressive in pool championship

PQQLK9
09-27-2004, 07:24 AM
09/27/04 - Posted 10:32:19 PM from the Daily Record newsroom
Barouty impressive in pool championship

By Matt Underwood, Daily Record

PARSIPPANY — The New Jersey Straight Pool Championship came down to the final four contestants Sunday afternoon at Comet Billiards in Parsippany.

In the end, only one man would be left standing. Danny Barouty defeated Pennsylvania native Bob Maidhof in the final match 200-73 to capture the title and the $5,000 first prize.

Barouty’s road to the final didn’t really begin until Sunday afternoon. After defeating Greg Hill 150-1 in the opening round, Barouty cruised through his next two matches, beating pro Danny Harriman 150-16.

In a preview of what would be the final match, Barouty defeated Maidhof 150-19 in the final four of the winner’s bracket. The only man left standing in his way was Santos Sambajan, one in a long line of Filipino professional players.

Sambajan gave Barouty a run, but in the end couldn’t put the match away, losing by 26 balls and having to settle for third place.

After a trick shot display by Steve Lillis, Tony Robles and Harriman, the finals were ready to begin on the feature table.

Trailing 48-21, Maidhof was presented with a golden opportunity to make a comeback when Barouty missed what appeared to be an easy shot on the seven ball with the rack wide open for the taking.

Maidhof left his opportunity knocking, and Barouty took advantage, running 31 balls to jump out to an 81-24 lead.

Maidhof wouldn’t quit, running 47 balls to pull within ten balls, but Barouty once again responded, as he had all tournament long, with a 54-ball run of his own to take a commanding lead and essentially put the match away.

As Billiard Congress of America senior level referee Ed Smith announced that Barouty needed only one ball, people slowly began to rise to their feet. As the one ball fell into the corner pocket, the crowd began to applaud and Barouty appeared to relax.

“This was a great event, I had a lot of fun being involved in it again this year,” said tournament founder Jack Colavita, who placed fifth overall. “It was good to see some of the legends of the game here this weekend, teaching the younger guys a thing or two. I’m looking forward to next year already.”

Maidhof didn’t go home empty handed for his efforts, earning $2,500 for second place. ESPN analyst and billiard champion Allen Hopkins took fourth place. Dallas West, who posted the tournaments’ high run of 112, finished sixth.

Matt Underwood can be reached at (973) 428-6684.
http://www.dailyrecord.com/sports/pro/sports4-092704pool.htm

houseman
09-27-2004, 09:14 AM
Thanks so much for this report. I and others have been looking all weekend for results from anywhere.
The comet billiards web site never has results or any mention of this event at all.
thanks again

the houseman

Barbara
09-27-2004, 09:25 AM
Well, I'm happy to hear that Maidhof beat Sambajon again in a different game, but he's got to figure out Barouty's number!

Congrats to Danny and Bob!!

Barbara

Snyder1
09-27-2004, 08:13 PM
I was there friday & saw a slim young guy (maybe 22-25 years old) playing very well & saw on the opposite side of the room was giving Dallas West a run (I think his name was Danny ??). Anybody know if this was this Danny Barouty or Danny Harriman ? Thanks

JS

PQQLK9
09-27-2004, 08:59 PM
http://www.azbilliards.com/gallery/2003glasscity/dannyh.jpg
this is Danny Harriman

CarolNYC
09-28-2004, 02:45 AM
WAY TO GO DANNY!

Thanks Nick!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Carol