PDA

View Full Version : Roy Jones--Retire?

9 Ball Girl
09-27-2004, 12:40 PM
I was watching the Roy Jones vs Glen Johnson on Saturday night on HBO and in Chris Tucker's voice "Roy Jones got knocked the *$^%!@ out!" They were saying that perhaps it was time for Roy to retire (he got knocked out in his last fight and his last knockout was back in Feb or May of 2002). I think that maybe he should fight one more time to redeem himself?

What do you guys think?

Oh, and the Oscar De La Hoya vs Bernard Hopkins, do you think that Oscar stayed down a little too long? I've never had the wind knocked out of me so I wouldn't know. I do think, though, that he was a much better fighter when he had his other coach. Not the one he's got now. Ya think?

dg-in-centralpa
09-27-2004, 02:45 PM
They both remind me of an aging overweight Muhammad Ali when he fought Larry Holmes or some of the last fights of Roberto Duran. Neither could throw a punch or take a punch. Unfortunately no one in their camps can tell a boxer when their time is up. That is all they know how to do. What would Tyson do if he retires? Flip burgers? I don't think he has any marketable skills. This is a shame because these guys will end up like Ali or Spinks. I hate to see a boxer past his prime and not knowing when to quit, I fear for his safety.

DG - No Mas No Mas

Cueless Joey
09-27-2004, 11:36 PM
Jones needs to retire. Not proven but Jones obviously took steroids to fight John Ruiz at the heavyweight division ( it was for a fake title btw, Lennox Lewis was the undisputed champ). Jones hasn't been the same since.
Jones never liked taking big risks. He avoided superfights ( hence he's had less than 5 pay per view fights). He never liked getting hit and these last two fights showed why. He doesn't have a great chin. Time to hang it up. Sorry but his legacy is terribly tarnished.
Oscar took a liver shot. They take your legs out.

hondo
09-28-2004, 07:11 AM
Ah, a boxing fan. Hopkins- DeLaHoya reminded me of
Alexis Arguello moving up to fight Aaron Pryor. Pryor
and Hopkins were just too strong for Arguello and
DeLaHoya.
Jones is another story. The theory about steroids
could be true. Jones just isn't the same.
Also, I never understood why he never wanted to
fight Darius Michalchewski (sp.?) Now I know.
Chin is a little suspect.
It's certainly been a humbling year for the
great Roy Jones, Jr.

9 Ball Girl
09-28-2004, 01:51 PM
Never liked getting hit? Well, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that maybe he's in the wrong business? LOL Well, I do have to say that everytime I saw him fight, he always came off as cocky. Johnson came out swinging and at one point it looked like Jones might've been hurt but it must've been a front 'cause all of a sudden he started doing his fast combos. Anyway, it was a pretty boring fight only 'cause I was expecting to see 2 boxers going at it. Not one. C'est la vie.

9 Ball Girl
09-28-2004, 01:55 PM
Humbling is right. Talk about getting some sense knocked into you. Literally!

Well, a real fight, the kind that I know will not be boring, is coming up this Saturday on PPV. Trinidad vs Mayorca. Oh yeah baby.

hondo
09-29-2004, 05:35 AM
Who do you like in that fight? I'm usually right but
I'm clueless. It all comes down to how ready Trinidad
is, I think. Plus, they may arrest Mayorga before
the fight.

Cueless Joey
09-29-2004, 11:44 AM
El Boracho Mayorga is gonna get knocked-out.
He'll go home and get convicted on his criminal charge.

9 Ball Girl
09-29-2004, 02:08 PM
I like Trinidad in this fight. He's hungry, and he's going to redeem himself after that last fight he had.

Cueless Joey
09-29-2004, 06:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> I like Trinidad in this fight. He's hungry, and he's going to redeem himself after that last fight he had. <hr /></blockquote>
Wendy, you must've missed Tito's last fight.
He put a shelacking on Cherifi. Then he "retired". /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9 Ball Girl
09-29-2004, 06:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr>Wendy, you must've missed Tito's last fight.
He put a shelacking on Cherifi. Then he "retired". /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>Doh! You're right! I did miss that one. And I remember why! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Cueless Joey
09-29-2004, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Doh! You're right! I did miss that one. And I remember why! <hr /></blockquote>
You went to the premeir of that classic movie, Daredevil?

9 Ball Girl
09-29-2004, 08:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr>You went to the premier of that classic movie, Daredevil? <hr /></blockquote>Not exactly. But I was a devil being dared.../ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif