PDA

View Full Version : Sadly...

wolfdancer
09-27-2004, 01:35 PM
My Mom died peacefully on sat eve, with my sisters at her side, comforting her. She was 92, survived two world wars, the Great Depression,several heart attacks, two broken arms, recent cancer surgery, and several Republic administrations (hopefully, we'll all survive this one). A stroke on thurs was too much to overcome.
She'll be buried next to her husband, my stepfather. They had a long,loving relationship. "Dad" was a first rate practical joker, and world class impregnator. Five healthy kids, and four miscarriages in 10 years. Mom was serious, and the natural object of his pranks...in the end though, she would laugh along with the rest of us. I may have "inherited" my own weird sense of humor from him.
Like my sisters and brother, I'm both saddened at her passing, and relieved that her pain is over. I'm going home,for the funeral, not to grieve, but to celebrate her long life.
Oddly, I had posted this, the other day, in reply to one of Barbara's posts:
Motto to live by:
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention
of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but
rather of skidding in sideways, champagne in one hand,
strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally
worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
She certainly got the most out of a worn, frail body, and while champagne was not her drink, she enjoyed life to the end.
Please give your mom a call, or a hug...

PQQLK9
09-27-2004, 01:46 PM
My condolences to you wolfdancer. Your mother has taken a journey we all will all take one day. Yes, celebrate her life as it sounds like she had a fulfilled one. Bless you.

Fair_Play
09-27-2004, 01:47 PM
Wolfdancer,

Thank you for a very nice mind picture, loving parents and family. They will live with you forever. My mother passed some years ago, and a bittersweet memory just turned into a smile. We all do what we do for reasons that we may or may not truly know. To have happy memories of a parent is a gift of life passed along.

God Bless You, and God Bless Yours!

Fair Play

Barbara
09-27-2004, 02:06 PM
jd,

Your mom lived a long and strong life. Have a safe journey home to your family.

Barbara

wolfdancer
09-27-2004, 03:51 PM
Barbara, thank you and everyone else that has added such kind words to my post. I can't express,in words, how much it helps to know that folks here, are thoughtful enough to offer their sympathy. I hope I'm strong enough to not break down at the funeral....my eyes have certainly had several good washings these past two days.
When I was a kid, an Irish funeral took place in the home; the women in the living room, with the deceased, and the men in the kitchen drinking...this will be more formal....but the old way seemed to have it's merits...the women greiving the death and the men celebrating the life. I'll do both.....thanks again

UWPoolGod
09-27-2004, 04:05 PM
I am very sorry to hear of your loss. From a fellow SW Washingtoner,I wish your whole family the best. Take Care. Todd

cueball1950
09-27-2004, 05:08 PM
sorry for your loss. you and your family are in my prayers.........................mike

Rod
09-27-2004, 07:38 PM
I'm very sorry to hear that Jack. Your mom sure lived a long full life. I to was extremely sad when my mother passed but relieved her pain ended as well. Have a toast with your family shed some tears but remember all the good times. Oh the memories your family must have. Bless her soul.

Rod

CarolNYC
09-28-2004, 02:53 AM
Sounds like your Mom was a great person,Wolfdancer!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You stay very well!

Carol

Rich R.
09-28-2004, 03:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> I'm going home,for the funeral, not to grieve, but to celebrate her long life. <hr /></blockquote>

Tap, Tap, Tap.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-28-2004, 06:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> ....I'm going home,for the funeral, not to grieve, but to celebrate her long life.....

<hr /></blockquote>

I like that. I felt the same way when my "Grandpa Wally" died at the tender age of 91. Rather than champagne, he went out with a glass of Kentucky Tavern bourbon in one hand.

Have a safe trip.

eg8r
09-28-2004, 06:56 AM
I am sorry to hear of your loss, we will keep you in our prayers.

eg8r