PDA

View Full Version : Does your car have a "black box"?

highsea
09-27-2004, 04:07 PM
I didn't realize this. Over 25 million cars in the US are fitted with electronic data recorders! Most consumers don't realize this. [ QUOTE ]
WASHINGTON Some safety and privacy experts are reacting with apprehension, others with all out condemnation over a recent ruling by the National Transportation Safety Board to require electronic data recorders or "black boxes" in all new cars manufactured in the United States.

"I take offense that this personal property of individuals is now being designed by the federal government," said Jim Harper, privacy attorney and editor of Privacilla.org.

Black boxes, or "EDRs" have been fitted into every General Motors car in its 2004 line and is in a number of Ford models about 15 percent of all vehicles on the road today, according to road safety experts.<hr /></blockquote>the article (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,132056,00.html)

And if you get in an accident, expect the cops to get their hands on the EDR.
[ QUOTE ]
No one disputes that Michelle Zimmermann lost control of her 2002 GMC Yukon as she drove on a two-lane highway in Massachusetts one snowy afternoon last January. Her friend died after the SUV slammed into a tree.

Zimmermann claims she was driving within the posted 40 mph speed limit, but like millions of other Americans the 33-year-old didn't know that her vehicle had a "black box." Monitoring her driving, it recorded the last few seconds before the crash.

Bolstered by data that they say indicates Zimmermann was driving well above the speed limit, prosecutors have charged the Beverly, Mass. woman with negligent vehicular homicide. She has pleaded innocent and faces up to 2 1/2 years in jail if convicted.<hr /></blockquote>the article (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,90673,00.html)

Don't say you weren't warned! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

-CM

Fair_Play
09-27-2004, 04:40 PM
The wave of the future is here, Highsea!

It is puzzling. We cannot have national identity cards (ACLU, etc.) to enhance our security, but we can be made to have a black box??

Go figure

All the best,

Fair Play

Rod
09-27-2004, 06:45 PM
My car has a black box which I was aware of before purchased. Many manufacture's will have one as well. I don't know but if you drive sensible then there is little to fear. It's not like were being watched unless there is an accident. In some cases it's good and for this Lady it's bad. I wonder how it will stand up in a court of law? I feel fairly sure it has been tested before but have no clue of the outcome.

Rod

Barbara
09-27-2004, 06:57 PM
I hope my car has one. I wouldn't mind my unsurance company to find out that while I was de-accelerating and applying my brakes to avoid an accident, I certainly didn't contribute to it.

But I live in a no-fault state.

So is this information being (legally) used to convict drivers of crimes?

Barbara

Rich R.
09-28-2004, 03:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> I hope my car has one. I wouldn't mind my unsurance company to find out that while I was de-accelerating and applying my brakes to avoid an accident, I certainly didn't contribute to it. <hr /></blockquote>
But, after "de-accelerating and applying brakes", the insurance company may be upset because you were still doing 110 mph at impact. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

highsea
09-28-2004, 03:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> I hope my car has one. I wouldn't mind my unsurance company to find out that while I was de-accelerating and applying my brakes to avoid an accident, I certainly didn't contribute to it.

But I live in a no-fault state.

So is this information being (legally) used to convict drivers of crimes?

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>Yup.

And remember, it's not how you interpret it, it's how they do.

Have you ever had to speed up to avoid a collision? I have.

Vagabond
09-28-2004, 04:38 AM
Hi Rich,
I had the same thoughts.Barbara, I can`t help it.LOL
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

catscradle
09-28-2004, 05:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> ... I don't know but if you drive sensible then there is little to fear. It's not like were being watched unless there is an accident...
Rod <hr /></blockquote>

It is the tip of the Elephant's trunk under the tent issue. The danger is that the whole elephant will follow. It is clearly an invasion of privacy and should be stopped. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif It should at least be installed in a manner that allows the vehicle owner to disable it. It is the owner's property, not GM's or the government's.

Barbara
09-28-2004, 07:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr>
Have you ever had to speed up to avoid a collision? I have. <hr /></blockquote>

Ironically, the last accident I was involved in (20 years ago), I should've popped the clutch and taken off when I looked in my rearview mirror and realized that the 10-ton oil truck driver did not see my left turn blinker and was not going to stop in time.

Barbara

hondo
09-28-2004, 10:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fair_Play:</font><hr> The wave of the future is here, Highsea!

It is puzzling. We cannot have national identity cards (ACLU, etc.) to enhance our security, but we can be made to have a black box??

Go figure

Cheer up, Fair, if Ashcroft has his way we'll all
have the mark of the beast in the next 4 years.

dg-in-centralpa
09-28-2004, 01:56 PM
Big Brother is watching.

DG - lol

Stretch
09-30-2004, 12:27 PM
I think that's a rather personal question. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St