PDA

View Full Version : Tough call....

eg8r
09-28-2004, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OAKLAND -- Oakland police officers have stopped setting up roadblocks to check whether drivers are under the influence because of a rash of complaints from the Latino community and City Council President Ignacio De La Fuente.
The checkpoints, which allow officers to demand licenses and proof of insurance, are an effective way to get drunken drivers off Oakland's streets, city leaders agree. But the checks also have ensnared dozens of illegal immigrants who are not licensed to drive yet otherwise obey the law.

"These checkpoints make people's lives miserable, not make them safer," said Jesus Rodriguez of Oakland Community Organizations, which filed most of the complaints about the checkpoints. "I've watched while the police have towed away cars (full) of groceries, leaving children crying on the sidewalk." <hr /></blockquote> Removing the check points would be a tough call for me. I really really hate DUI checkpoints and I think they increase risk (stopping cars in the middle of the street) if there is a drunk person driving and he barrels through the stop. However, what a great way to catch illegal aliens. I hope they are shipping them right on back to Mexico.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with any foreign person moving to America, AS LONG AS THEY DO IT LEGALLY. I cannot stand to hear from idiots like City Council President Ignacio De La Fuente and Jesus Rodriguez who are defending illegal aliens. Why is it too hard for these people to understand that you must obey the laws?

[ QUOTE ]
Legislation that would have allowed illegal immigrants who submit to background checks to apply for a California driver's license was vetoed this week by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. Both Word and De La Fuente supported the legislation. <hr /></blockquote> Arnold is exactly right when he vetoed the legislation. Why should we allow these illegal people driver's licenses? We should be rounding them up and kicking them out.

Here is the web page (http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82~1726~2428344,00.html) .

eg8r

eg8r
09-28-2004, 02:20 PM
It appears I was thinking along the same lines as the mayor... [ QUOTE ]
OAKLAND -- Mayor Jerry Brown on Monday ordered the on-again, off-again vehicle checkpoints back on track, calling the stoppage "a dumb idea."
Oakland police officers will restart the roadblocks next week, despite complaints from the Latino community and City Council President Ignacio De La Fuente (Glenview-Fruitvale). The last checkpoint happened more than a month ago.

"The so-called moratorium is hereby terminated," Brown said Monday. "The whole thing was a dumb idea."

<hr /></blockquote> web page (http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82~1865~2432116,00.html)

eg8r

Sid_Vicious
09-28-2004, 02:47 PM
GWB said last night in a TV clip that he wasn't worried about the southern border cuz "The ones coming across now are mostly just the ones looking for a better life." Sounds to me like we have a lame president who caters to illegal activity, so why shouldn't we allow illegals to steer our law enforcement like this? I'm surprised at even the staunch Bushites for accepting such a BS statement by Bush, sounds like a welcome to be illegal to me, and IMPO, atrocious and a sellout of American culture as we've known it. Give this catering 10 years.

I especially chuckled over this phrase from the original news story:

"But the checks also have ensnared dozens of illegal immigrants who are not licensed to drive yet otherwise obey the law."

Let's see if we can add, 1. Illegal citizenship 2. Illegal operation of a motor vehicle(lisence) 3. Driving without insurance. Today I say loudly, WHAT PART OF ILLEGAL DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND!!!SID

cueball1950
09-28-2004, 03:24 PM
For some reason the U S Border PAtrol feel it is worthwhile to set up a check point some 30 to 40 miles south of the canadian border between exits 30 and 29 south bound on state rt 87. The northway. to check for illegal aliens. Sad part is that about a week or so ago a canadian trucker could not stop fast enough and hit another car killing all 4 passengers in the car. Now he is facing 4 counts of vehicular manslaughter. This done right in the middle of the 2 lane road between exits. I went thru it myself yesterday and all the sad signs were there. the skid marks and the burnt ground where the car burned. Just so sad. Why not just do it in a rest area?
I will never figure it out....................mike

landshark77
09-28-2004, 04:37 PM
I agree with your view on the illegals. Send 'em back! Don't give 'em any benifits (welfare, dirver's licenses, etc...).

As far as the road check goes...they must list in the paper when and where the check is going to be and alternate routes (at least in my state). It would be benifical to read the paper every once in a while instead of just complaining to them, IMO.

Sid_Vicious
09-28-2004, 06:24 PM
"they must list in the paper when and where the check is going to be "

Is that really a fact? Anyone know about Texas with this? Also, is there an internet site announcing these? Lastly, does it remedy your guilt if the police catch you in a non announced location? Last question is most important...sid

landshark77
09-28-2004, 08:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>
Is that really a fact? Anyone know about Texas with this? Also, is there an internet site announcing these? Lastly, does it remedy your guilt if the police catch you in a non announced location? Last question is most important...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Well Sid, your question required me to do some investigation and I found this (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/alcohol/SobrietyCheck/caselaw.html) site regarding sobriety check points in the 50 states.

I do not feel like weeding through the various WV codes to find the exact law to quote, but you can trust me on this. In WV the local paper must list where the checkpoint is going to be, the time frame of the check point, and alternative routes. This is done usually in small print and usually 24 hours prior to the check. (I am not sure if the 24 hr time frame is part of the law or not.) People have complained to the newspaper and the newspaper has quoted this law several times. This is not only for sobriety check points, but for seatbelt and registration checkpoints too. Apparently each state is diffent in the way they can inact their checkpoint laws, as mentioned in the above mentioned web page. You can find information on Texas in the same web page.

As far as your last question (the most important one)...I would consider myself a law abidding, annal square. If I did break the law, answering to the police is the least of my worries. I must answer to myself and God regardless if I am caught or not. (And please don't think I am some self delcared perfect person...I am far from that.) I'm just saying that if people don't want to be inconvienced then they should read up on the laws and know what goes on in their states. Especially if they are illegal, don't have insurance, or don't have registation, or are driving drunk, or whatever. Should these people be caught...by all means, but one does not have to qualify as stupid to be a criminal, IMO.

cueball1950
09-28-2004, 08:40 PM
well here in the albany ny area they announce on tv and radio that there wil be sweeping road checks and what cities and or towns are going to be involved.
but my earlier response about the border patrols is so sad. i cannot understand why they set them up in the middle of a highway where the posted speed limit is 65 and we all know that most drivers are driving some above that number. and by the way this is the second such accident there in the last 8 months. the other 1 involved a bus loaded with passengers. i believe some were killed in that 1 also and alot were hurt. I still cannot understand why it is set up 30 or so miles from the border......................mike

PQQLK9
09-28-2004, 09:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr> If I did break the law, answering to the police is the least of my worries. I must answer to myself and God regardless if I am caught or not.<hr /></blockquote>
That is a very poignant statement and one that I totally subscribe to also.

Singlemalt
09-29-2004, 04:16 AM
You know, we had some similar type complaints about 18 months or so ago here dealing with hispanics and drunk driving. I had a friend here in the Highway Patrol actually lose some of his cases against some of the hispanics he arrested and were most certainly beyond the legal limit of .08 here in NC.

Obviously this is not totally related to the topic other than I agree, follow the law.

hondo
09-29-2004, 05:47 AM
The only thing I hate worse than road checks are
illegal immigrants. I say send em all back but there
has to be a better way than harrassing us poor,
innocent drunk drivers.

eg8r
09-29-2004, 06:41 AM
I have no idea who the staunch Bushites are so I cannot comment. I personally think it is ridiculous to allow the illegal aliens any "rights" to do anything here. They should have the "right" to a free car ride before we open the door and toss them over the border.

eg8r

eg8r
09-29-2004, 06:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For some reason the U S Border PAtrol feel it is worthwhile to set up a check point some 30 to 40 miles south of the canadian border between exits 30 and 29 south bound on state rt 87. The northway. to check for illegal aliens. Sad part is that about a week or so ago a canadian trucker could not stop fast enough and hit another car killing all 4 passengers in the car. <hr /></blockquote> This is definitely why I think it is a tough call. Surely we need to make the checks, but, is it worth the chance of an accident because some fool was not paying attention.

[ QUOTE ]
I went thru it myself yesterday and all the sad signs were there. the skid marks and the burnt ground where the car burned. Just so sad. Why not just do it in a rest area? <hr /></blockquote> If they are going to do it, there is no chance of it being successful in a rest area. Not every driver uses the rest areas.

eg8r

hondo
09-29-2004, 10:13 AM
Right on ,eg. For once we are in agreement. Scary, huh?

Wally_in_Cincy
09-29-2004, 10:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> Right on ,eg. For once we are in agreement. Scary, huh? <hr /></blockquote>

actually this is scary

http://www.durangotelegraph.com/03-08-21/images/0821_local.jpg

I can just hear some guy with a German accent "do you have zee traveling papers, Herr Phillips"

eg8r
09-29-2004, 11:35 AM
I am not all that bad. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

PQQLK9
09-29-2004, 03:48 PM
In Virginia the State Police would erect a temporary sign on the Interstate before a rather obscure exit that read "Drug Checkpoint Ahead".

All drivers that took that exit were welcomed by a large contigent of State Police who searched their vehicles. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fair_Play
09-29-2004, 04:09 PM
Now that is working smart, not hard!

All the Best,

Fair Play