PDA

View Full Version : Backed or Unbacked?

stickman
09-29-2004, 01:02 AM
Championship Mercury Ultra billiard cloth is available in either backed or unbacked. Which would you choose, and why? Inquiring minds want to know. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Actually, I don't find any information. I just helped installing the backed type on a table and it played quite well. I wondered what advantage or disadvantage was to the two types.

Thanks, Jim

CarolNYC
09-29-2004, 02:34 AM
Jim,
What is the difference?
Carol
[ QUOTE ]
backed or unbacked <hr /></blockquote>

Chris Cass
09-29-2004, 06:49 AM
Hi Jim,

How'd you get the Mercury Ultra? You know they've stopped making it. Champion since went to the Tour Addition 2000. Anyway, I prefer the unbacked. I don't know the difference in play but it's much easier to work with when it's not backed. Let us know how it wears for you and how it plays. I'm thinking ther backed will last a bit longer for you. Due to it's thinkness. Before I end this post I'd like to mention if you don't know this. That if you stretch the rail cloth too tight you can lose valuable action and could deaden the rails a bit. Food for thought if, you didn't know that already. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Take care Jim and good seeing your back posting,

C.C.~~wishes he was playing in MO this weekend but can't swing it so close to the expo. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

rocky
09-29-2004, 07:08 AM
If you own a pool hall usually you buy un-backed so that you can flip the cloth over and it will be the same on both sides.
Rocky

ChrisW
09-29-2004, 08:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rocky:</font><hr> If you own a pool hall usually you buy un-backed so that you can flip the cloth over and it will be the same on both sides.
Rocky <hr /></blockquote>

What would be the purpose of flipping it over?
Your not talking about wearing out one side then
flip it to use the other side, are you?

Chris

Troy
09-29-2004, 08:45 AM
Most quality cloth (ie Simonis) has a "top" side and a "bottom" side.
"Flipping" the cloth is out of the question !!!

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rocky:</font><hr> If you own a pool hall usually you buy un-backed so that you can flip the cloth over and it will be the same on both sides.

stickman
09-29-2004, 11:40 AM
The backed cloth has a white backing on the underneath side. I didn't look at it close enough to see what the backing was made of. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deeman2
09-29-2004, 11:57 AM
As I remember, backed cloth was made for durability in commercial applications and was supposed to take more abuse from bangers and such. I have never installed it on my tables but remember someone saying it does not play as well as unbacked cloth but wears well. Maybe a cloth expert can enlighten us more.

Deeman

stickman
09-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Chris, I didn't know the Mercury Ultra had been stopped. There is nothing on their web site, or I didn't see it. I'm not sure where my friend got it, but I see it on several web sites. 5 Star has it advertised for $72.00 (7 ft. bed and rail set) I love the way it plays on a bar table. The Valley Teflon is supposed to be the same cloth with a waterproofing process. The backing is only on the bed cloth, and the rail cloth is unbacked.

This is what is advertised on the Championship Billiards web site: (For the last several years, and for years to come, all National Amateur Championship Tournaments in Las Vegas (APA, VNEA &amp; BCA) have been and will be played on Mercury Ultra. It also holds the honor of being chosen as the official billiard cloth to more amateur tournaments than any other cloth in the world.)

There is no information as to why a person would choose a backed or unbacked cloth. Perhaps it will wear better. I'm not sure though.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jim

Chris Cass
09-29-2004, 12:12 PM

Hi Rocky,

Don't own my own ph yet but work at one. I'll own my own when I move to Vegas and hook up with my partner RIP. Were going to run my favorite place the "Cue Club" out of business.

I don't see flipping the cloth over for no reason at all. I also want to say that even on Champion cloth there's a difference on both sides. That's why they'll mark it with a yellow line.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion bud.

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
09-29-2004, 12:33 PM
Hi Jim,

I'm sorry Jim and must retract that statement. I was under that impression when they announced the Tour Addition cloth as a new product. Seems Champion has many different types of cloth they produce or sell. The Murcury Ultra 3045 is the one I like the best. They've inpregnated the cloth with a teflon material. The one you have is the 3046 with, the cotton backing. This is for possible spilling and room owners might buy that stuff to help possible problem that occur on the weekends. I've found that the Simonis costs a bit more and lasts a bit longer but for the home? I'd prefer the Murcury Ultra. I like the way it plays.

Regards,

C.C.

Rod
09-29-2004, 12:41 PM
Unbacked, never tried backed but it has to slow the table down. If on a bar table it might not be too bad.

Rod

Chris Cass
09-29-2004, 12:52 PM
Hi Rod,

Just don't ever try that new Brunswick Centenial cloth. That's way slow. It's also inpregnated with a teflon material. You know how when you rip the ril cloth into strips? The table guy did that and then took a small strand and balled it up. He then bounced it on a counter top and the stuff actually bounced about 1 ft in the air. I'd like to tell Brunswick that that cloth might be good for air bags.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stickman
09-29-2004, 10:13 PM
Rod, I think when I get my own table I'll use the unbacked. The backed plays pretty fast, but we stretched it extra tight. It won't be necessary to get the teflon cloth. I won't allow drinks around my table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Thanks to all for the information.