PDA

View Full Version : League Night Rant

cuechick
09-29-2004, 06:28 AM
I had a very annoying match last night, just the kind where you feel a tiny bit jipped. I played another "7" and was nervous but excited because since I became one myself, this is the first time I have played one. I lost the first game, after blowing two open shot chances to run out. The next game I ran out to my last ball, but over stroked, and it jarred in the pocket. It is now 2-0, him and he then proceeds to make TWO 8 balls on the break in a row! Now it is 4-0 and he needs only one more game.
Again, I run the table and make a beautiful cut shot on my next to last ball, and tap the 8 ball, sitting in the middle of the table and it goes in a pocket. Just like that I lose. If that is not irritating enough, his captain, an older man, who had been sharking me throughout the match, is acting like he was the won who won. Smiling and laughing when I made the early 8 and just being an AH. He actually sticks out his hand to shake mine (after I shake my opponents who was a very nice guy and felt bad about the last game), I looked at him and just said "F@&% You". He gets all bent out a shape, like he did not see it coming, trust me these Southern men are not use to NY women.
He finally says, "You just mad cause you got beat.", to that I replied, "Yeah, I got beat, but not by you. I'll play you for money, right now." he said, "I don't want to play you for money." and I said "Of course you don't."
You got to love this game....

Sid_Vicious
09-29-2004, 06:45 AM
8 wins on the snap? VNEA, bar pool or what? What other distractions from std BCA rules was this league played by? I tend to stay away from this kind of "adjusted" rule sets, unless there's nothing else to play...sid~~~still scratching his head about whether the f-word was warranted

Eric.
09-29-2004, 06:55 AM
Tough loss, Lara. That's one of those where you just shake your head. I think the APA rules kinda make 8 ball play more like 9 ball, from my limited experience with the APA.

I'm just curious what the teammate of the player was saying to you. It seems like some bar league players don't seem to have much respect or ethics for the game. It's almost like "street Pool".

Eric

Wally_in_Cincy
09-29-2004, 07:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> 8 wins on the snap? VNEA, bar pool or what? What other distractions from std BCA rules was this league played by? I tend to stay away from this kind of "adjusted" rule sets,.... <hr /></blockquote>

APA rules are exactly the same as the pro 8-ball rules that were in effect in the early 80's when APA was estabilished.

Believe it or not Sid, most people think an 8-ball on the snap should be a win. IMO

Wally_in_Cincy
09-29-2004, 07:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuechick:</font><hr>

...I looked at him and just said "F@&amp;% You"....

...these Southern men are not use to NY women....<hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Although I have never gone quite that far I have had some choice after-match words for folks who have been cheating, sharking, or slug-racking the entire match /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Cass
09-29-2004, 07:04 AM
Hi Cuechick,

I know how you feel but really, you do have to relax. That win costs a bit but they'll be times that it'll be the other way around. Granted, the hand shake was a bit much and maybe the sharking was nothing intended and he was just normally a nervous type as bar players are.

Just chalk it up and move on. League players don't always know what the deal is half the time. Remember, most are just weekend worriors. I think you shouldn't have said what you did. You should of expected the reply you got after that. Don't lower your standards for anyone.

I don't want to sound like I'm not on your side but these things happen. I'm sure the next time it comes up. You'll look at things a little different. Remember, this game is all about fun where leagues are concerned. Take it with a grain of salt and it'll make you a better player and a better person in the end.

Just some advice from a good friend,

C.C.~~maybe see you in Vegas next yr. BTW, kudoes for the jump to 7. That's great. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
09-29-2004, 07:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>Believe it or not Sid, most people think an 8-ball on the snap should be a win. IMO <hr /></blockquote>
I have no problem with the 8-ball on the snap being a win. I agree with that.

The APA rule that I don't like, is when you make a ball on the break, you are stuck with that set of balls and the table is not open for you to choose striped or solid balls.

It's kind of like "Murphy's Law".
Whenever I make a ball on the break, I never have a decent shot at that set of balls. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

rocky
09-29-2004, 07:18 AM
I would like to know how he made the 8 twice in a row on the snap?

*My 8 ball break suxs
Rocky

Popcorn
09-29-2004, 07:30 AM
You lost, so what, are you looking for someone to blame it on? The other team didn't do anything. You say you got sharked, it was probably mostly in your own mind. Your final act was not very classy at all and your comments about gambling basically made you look like a poor loser and somewhat of a fool. You had a chance after the match to grow as a player and deal with what happened, but you choose instead the easy childish way. Those are my observations.

Scott Lee
09-29-2004, 07:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rocky:</font><hr> I would like to know how he made the 8 twice in a row on the snap?

*My 8 ball break suxs
Rocky <hr /></blockquote>

Rocky...One word, four letters...LUCK!

Scott Lee

Scott Lee
09-29-2004, 07:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>

Just chalk it up and move on. League players don't always know what the deal is half the time. Remember, most are just weekend worriors. I think you shouldn't have said what you did. You should of expected the reply you got after that. Don't lower your standards for anyone.

Remember, this game is all about fun where leagues are concerned. Take it with a grain of salt and it'll make you a better player and a better person in the end.

C.C.~~maybe see you in Vegas next yr. BTW, kudoes for the jump to 7. That's great. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Cuechick...This is solid advice from CC (and the truth is, you already KNOW this). You should never lower yourself to the behavior of others. You are an expert player, which also encompasses "expert player" behavior. Turning the other cheek, in the face of moronic antics by others, is the real mark of the player striving to become better all around. BTW, congrats on the "7" rating!

Scott Lee

Wally_in_Cincy
09-29-2004, 07:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote rocky:</font><hr> I would like to know how he made the 8 twice in a row on the snap?

*My 8 ball break suxs

Rocky...One word, four letters...LUCK!

Scott Lee

<hr /></blockquote>

There are some folks who can break in a fashion that increases the possibility of snapping the 8.

I watched a match against 2 such players once, a man and a woman. The man snapped an 8, then snapped the next one but scratched. The woman then snapped 2 in a row.

While this was most certainly an aberration, it never would have happened with 2 players who were not trying for the snap.

Wally &lt;~~ just tries for a good spread

Eric.
09-29-2004, 07:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rocky:</font><hr> I would like to know how he made the 8 twice in a row on the snap?

*My 8 ball break suxs

Hi Rocky,

My break ain't much to brag about either but you can pocket the 8 in the opposite side pocket with a stun stroke, hitting below center, breaking from the headstring. You aim to hit the second ball as full as possible. The CB needs to not be in the air when it hits the pack. You can pocket the 8 in the side with a bit of regualrity this way, it's more than just luck.

Eric

cuechick
09-29-2004, 08:12 AM
Thanks Chris,
I agree, I could have handled it better, and do regret lowering myself to his level. I wished all night I could have just walked away when he stuck out his hand (please keep in mind everyone, I am NOT talking about my opponent)...but I am only human, and was not in a good mood to start with and just lost it.
I really have to say, this guy was so out of line, his teammates were on my side and the guy I played apologized for him. For anyone who knows me, for me to offer to play for money, I really had to be provoked.
I was really not upset about losing the match, it was the way I lost and just not really getting a chance to play.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-29-2004, 08:14 AM
Popcorn,

I played a guy in my 14.1 league once that deserved disdain. Early in the match I began to wonder why he had not called a shot the whole game. I'm not talking about cut shots. I'm talking about combos, banks, and caroms.

After the second bank I said "Charles, you need to call those". He looked at me and said "I'm a good player. If I make the ball then that's where I meant to shoot it"

I said "I don't care how good you are, you need to call combos and bank shots". He then proceeded to play "drama queen" and call every single shot, making a big show of it.

Months later I faced off against the same guy in our city 8-ball team championship. While I was shooting in the first game he went to the adjacent table, put quarters in, and began practicing, a clear rules violation. One my mates had to call a ref over to make him quit.

I won that game and he gave me a slug rack the next game. After that, every time I checked the rack, he got mouthy.

The guy beat me pretty good. After the match I walked off without shaking hands. He sought me out and I told him "I'm not shaking your hand, I'm sick and tired of your act"

Some people just deserve contempt.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-29-2004, 08:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuechick:</font><hr>

...I was really not upset about losing the match, it was the way I lost and just not really getting a chance to play.

<hr /></blockquote>

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

START(
%FP2X2%H]4X7%JF1I5%KR6D5%Oh1E1%PK6N0%UG6J8%VJ5L6%WD1I1%XD9I 2
%[D3D3%\E7H1%]Z6C7%^C9H5
)END

cuechick, if it's any consolation this is how I lost to a 3 Monday night. I sunk the 10 and scratched in the side. And that angle is not exagerrated. I would not think the cue ball would go in at that angle but it did.

cuechick
09-29-2004, 08:21 AM
All I can say is, you were not there. I agree, as I stated in my reply to Chris, I did not have to react that way. However, I am not trying to blame anyone, my opponent shot very well, and could not have been a nicer guy. I went up to him again later and told him how well he played. Aside from the first game, I played well, and if anything, except for the fluke of the 2 8's and the early 8, thought I would have had a good chance to win. As far as imagining the shark, if doing a little dance in front of the pocket I am shooting into is not sharking, then I guess I am. When I asked him to stop, he turned to his teammates and said "I guess I got her going now..."
Hmmm? Is that sharking, you tell me?

cuechick
09-29-2004, 08:25 AM
Thanks Wally,
I unfortunately do not have the plug in to see the wei table, so these posts are always lost on me. But I appreciate the commissary=)!

bomber
09-29-2004, 09:12 AM
i have been in several leauges in my time and its obvious that many people take them way to seriously. most of these people are simply weekend warriors, as someone put it in an earlier post, and should be treated as such. When i played in leauge matches I showed up on time, played my match, won/lost, shook hands, and went about my buisness. You cant let people get into your heads...thats just part of pool (it shouldnt be, but it is.) That is territory that comes with playing in leagues. I have completely stopped playing in leauges because I do not enjoyed them at all. Everyone sandbags, cheats, sharks, etc... It simply isnt fun. I would rather pay my dues on table time, gambling, or food. You have very little chance at winning anything anyways in most leauges with stacked teams and sandbagging. You can sandbag yourself and win, but whats the point in that. jmho

Popcorn
09-29-2004, 09:14 AM
Sharking should not be a part of the game, but distractions, intentional or other wise, will be there and can become magnified once you allow them to be. You should not be annoyed when a player or the whole team for the matter are happy you lost or got a bad roll, they are. There are as many bad winners as there are bad losers. Your actions I feel demeaned you, even if you felt justified and you come off looking no better then them.

Sid_Vicious
09-29-2004, 09:59 AM
Wally...I'm one of them, 8 on the snap during league play would arouse many-a hoots and hollers, and that's what league is all about IMO...sid

Sid_Vicious
09-29-2004, 10:05 AM
Lemme guess, they were breaking off the second ball, right???sid

cuechick
09-29-2004, 10:08 AM
yes, he was, and I do too...

Wally_in_Cincy
09-29-2004, 10:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Lemme guess, they were breaking off the second ball, right???sid <hr /></blockquote>

Yep. Personally I'm not a fan of going for the snap like that. It's a sucker bet most times and you end up with a cluster-f***. I would rather spread 'em and take my chances.

JMO

cuechick
09-29-2004, 10:11 AM
Of course your intitled to your opionon, but as I said, you were not there.

dtomasi
09-29-2004, 10:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuechick:</font><hr> As far as imagining the shark, if doing a little dance in front of the pocket I am shooting into is not sharking, then I guess I am. When I asked him to stop, he turned to his teammates and said "I guess I got her going now..."
Hmmm? Is that sharking, you tell me? <hr /></blockquote>

Cuechick,

Sorry that you had to endure that kind of abuse.

I am just getting back into playing pool again, and I was considering joining a league. If this kind of behavior (call it sharking or whatever) is found acceptable in league play, or even if one is expected to tolerate such childish crap by one's peers, I'll pass on joining a league. I find it hard to believe (in the pool world) that some people are that insecure and immature that they resort to such juvenile tactics to satisfy themselves. I guess that I was just hoping that, in the world of pocket billiards, that organized play would aspire to higher standards.

bomber
09-29-2004, 10:38 AM
it isnt so much acceptable but, in most leagues, sportsmanship rules are simply not enforced.

Steve Lipsky
09-29-2004, 10:39 AM
Lara, I was thinking the same thing as CC and Popcorn. You didn't explain the severity of the sharking until later posts. If you re-read your first post, and keep in mind that none of us were there, you sound like a lunatic /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. I say that as an old friend, of course /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

After reading more, you were definitely justified to be pissed, and even to avoid the shake. But one thing you should never do is ask to gamble after an episode like this. There's no way to look good when you lose and ask the opponent/his friend to gamble. In Vegas, I beat some cocky kid in the tournament, and afterwards he asked me to gamble. I just sort of tilted my head and laughed at him.

Anyway, Lara, congrats on the SL7 and also standing up for NY!

Talk to you soon,
Steve

Rich R.
09-29-2004, 10:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuechick:</font><hr> As far as imagining the shark, if doing a little dance in front of the pocket I am shooting into is not sharking, <hr /></blockquote>
Cuechick, you could have just quietly taken your shot and hit the cue ball too low, sending it flying. I don't think he would dance in front of your pocket again, after that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Don't let one idiot turn you against leagues. Maybe, don't take the leagues too seriously either.
Have fun playing pool, in a social setting, and leave it at that.
Ignore the idiots and have a good time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cuechick
09-29-2004, 10:57 AM
Thanks Steve,
And I know your right, honestly if I did not have a lot of other things going on (outside of pool), I do not think I would have snapped like that at all. I still don't feel quite justified in my reation, I really would prefeer I just walked away...and you know I am not a big gambler, but I also knew he would never take me up on it, he is just a talker, and a lousy 4 to boot.
I did not go into details about the sharking earlier, cause I honestly was just venting and did not expect much response.
Lara

bomber
09-29-2004, 11:09 AM
what would have been even worse...the 4 accepts your proposition to gamble and beats ya...that would have really got to ya...you should never propose a bet when you are mad

Chris Cass
09-29-2004, 11:26 AM
You odviously haven't read Joe Tuckers Racking Secrets Book Scott. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif It may have been luck but more than likely the odds were in the breakers favorite after all the racker should check to see what's frozen and what's not.

If the rack was tight? Then, I'll agree with the luck part. I just have way too much fun now checking racks after Joe Tucker' book. HAHAHAHA

Regards,

C.C.~~I can hear it now, how much you don't make the 8 Chris? lol Taunting my opponent for Fri. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cuechick
09-29-2004, 11:30 AM
I'm sure your right Bomber, but I would have only played him even and would not have beaten me.

::some things you just know::

Like, I also knew he is all talk and would never have accepted the challenge, his team actually laughed at him...

But I agree, it was stupid, and for all you impressionable kids out there, do not gamble when your mad...

Chris Cass
09-29-2004, 11:31 AM
Hi Rich,

Amongst the normal bar player and myself included is that the BCA choose your own balls are merely what I call, Runout 8 ball. lol

Regards,

C.C.~~remember the old Bush league rules? I remember as a kid having so much fun slopping everything in and get to keep shooting. lol Now, it's like, You Luckbox! hahaha

Chris Cass
09-29-2004, 11:41 AM
Hi Cuechick,

I imagined so because we have met and I know you like to shoot about as much as I do. It's good to vent and this is the place. lol About the only thing you can do in that situation is to think of something snappy to say like, You shot awesome while shaking the teams Captains hand. Even though he didn't play. It probably would have stunned him more. LOL

Just keep playing and whatever goes on around you, try to block it all out. Life is a test of who can stay focused under any and all conditions. When you can do this you'll be one of the best players in Pool and Poker. Don't let yourself get sharked by nothing and if it does happen, it's on you, for letting it happen. (wisdom for the day)

My best and again. Great job moving up. See what happened to Carol lately? Your next after Barbara. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
09-29-2004, 11:54 AM

*My 8 ball break suxs

START(
%AN7O5%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HL7O4%I M8N6%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ4R0%OJ5M0%Ph4E2%UO2N2%Vg6E3%Y Z5[0%ZL7O5
%]J7D8%^N1M8%eC3b0
)END

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

This will not guarentee it 100% but the odds are in your favor. Try to hit it as full as possible as Eric mentioned. Also this is done on a bar box. Your bridge hand should be on the cloth. As Eric said, try to hit it with a firm medium stroke so not to loft the cb. You'll add a touch of outside low english and draw the cb back to the rail. Swap with breaking from the other side.

I'd say it's around 1/20 ? Heck, don't know. lol It does happen more than one might think. You need to try to get Joe Tuckers Racking Secrets Book. It's a must for all games although I don't agree with his one pocket break it's great to have some insight.

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
09-29-2004, 12:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bomber:</font><hr> what would have been even worse...the 4 accepts your proposition to gamble and beats ya...that would have really got to ya...you should never propose a bet when you are mad <hr /></blockquote>

You definitly have a good head on your shoulders there Bomber. You can't win against anyone who your angry with or hate for that matter. That's why I'll never hate anyone. I'll rob myself from getting into their pocket. lol

Regards,

C.C.~~you made great sence in both posts. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
09-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Great advice Rich,

Just have the woman doing bodily harm to someone over a pool game. Just don't tell her to wack the guy in the head with a Meucci. They don't hold up well. lol

C.C.~~you kill me brother. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

bomber
09-29-2004, 12:15 PM
thanks chris...i learn from experience

Deeman2
09-29-2004, 12:16 PM
Last night Tori and I played in a nine ball tournament and her opponent, who had thrown balls around after a girl had thrashed him earlier, started the same thing with mild mannered, cuddly Tori. Despite his language and antics, she let him go for a while then just unscrewed her stick and forfieted to him saying, "I didn't come here for abuse." I offered to clock him (he had referred to her in classic canine language) /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif but Tori just wanted to get away from him. They ended up throwing him out of the tournament and baring him from the poolhall. They wouldn't accept Tori's forfeit and advanced her to the next round.

I get sick of guys who think they are players and won't let a woman who is clearly better have any credit for a deserved win. Anyone out there who says, "I just can't play against a woman!" are the same group who "payed my way though college playing pool." I always want to ask them if they payed their way through obedience school 'cause I played pretty well at 19 and couldn't pay for much more than my books on pool income.

If you get beat, take it like a player, not a whimp. If you would watch some of these better players instead of ranting, you might begin to win a few yourself. Gee, I feel better now, I'll skip that Valium!

Deeman

Rod
09-29-2004, 12:40 PM
I agree with Chris. Heck just write it off we all have bad nights and occasionally run into those types of people. Real pool players don't do that sort of thing so consider the source. You were frustrated because of poor play and he just added to it.

To become an even better player you have to nip it in the bud and what ever you do don't dwell on it like you have done here. Let it go completely, things like that will come back to haunt you big time if you let it happen. The worst case scenario you'll start thinking people are out to shark you. It sure doesn't sound like you but just a thought.

I don't know what it is about league that's capable of bringing the worst out in people. I imagine it's there one night out to show/prove their somebody. On either end, win or loose, it can happen so just get use to it. It should be a wake up call but sometimes it doesn't happen. Leagues have so many that haven't a real clue or know how to act, you do so try to set an example. Congrats on the 7 rating.

Rod

Wally_in_Cincy
09-29-2004, 12:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr>

...I don't know what it is about league that's capable of bringing the worst out in people....<hr /></blockquote>

Rod, I think it is guys who think they are players just because they can run 4 balls. They never go to Michael's or Airway or someplace like that and see guys who actually know how to play. It's the classic "big fish, small pond"

The players in the league who will step up and play in the Viking stops and the larger local tourneys very rarely will act like that.

Rod
09-29-2004, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Rod, I think it is guys who think they are players just because they can run 4 balls. <hr /></blockquote>

Sure that's part of it Wally. If they only run three they get pissed. ha ha ha ha ha I really know the answer it was just a statement. I'm glad I have nothing to prove, even if someone thinks I do.

Rod

nhp
09-29-2004, 04:32 PM
Typical league player, complaining about the "luck" involved when he/she lost, complaining about being sharked, ignoring an offer to shake hand and saying "F*** YOU!", then asking the person who probably can't play at all to play for money.

That's all your ego talking. You let it get in the driver's seat and take control. If you ever want to be a respectable pool player, these little happenings you should either keep to yourself, or learn how to control your ego. No offense, but I hear this kind of crap all the time. It's quite lame, because everyone thinks that their "bad roll/bad opponent" story is unique from everyone else and everyone wants to hear it, when in actuality nobody wants to hear it, and most everyone realizes that it's an excuse to lose, no matter how-well articulated the story might be to sound "different" than the typical league player's rant.

PQQLK9
09-29-2004, 05:08 PM
http://www.teddybears.com/consignments/images/stewart.jpg
Hey CueChic if Dick Cheney can say it on the senate floor,then you can say it to some jerk in the pool room.
Here's a hug for you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cuechick
09-29-2004, 06:20 PM
I think you need to read this thread a bit more carefully, I DID NOT refuse to shake the hand of the man I played... I have respomded already to other posters who made simalr assestment and have let it go. I talked to the player I played again, who tried to apoligize again, and I told him it was not his fault at all, and I apolgized for flying off the handle...I also did not mention anything about luck, so I am not sure why you have this in quotes? My anger was all about the Captain of the other team, and I just have to say, you had to be there...
Certainly my story is not unique and that is too bad.

cuechick
09-29-2004, 06:30 PM
Thanks Nick! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara
09-29-2004, 06:32 PM
Lara,

When you posted that your opponent apologized to you for his teammate's actions, that spoke something. I think that everyone of us who's played on league knows that there are poor losers out there that look to denigrate opponents anyway they can, whether they're the actual opponent or not. They're trying to be "team player" for what that's worth.

It's a cheap move, and you should see it for whatever it's worth, remember that, and put it in the bank to draw on for future use!!

And congrats for being a "7"! I can remember it only yesterday when you brought Jennifer B to Hagerstown for her first tourny!

Barbara

Barbara
09-29-2004, 06:38 PM
Is that a Vermont Teddy Bear??? They're so cute!! Pete's given me two - The "Gangster of Love" and "Romantic Bear with bowtie" with a "bouquet of roses" and a bag with an unset sapphire for my BD.

Barbara~~~had the sapphire set since then... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Vagabond
09-30-2004, 04:27 AM
[quote=cuechick)doing a little dance in front of the pocket I am shooting into is not sharking, then I guess I am. When I asked him to stop, he turned to his teammates and said "I guess I got her going now..."
Hmmm? Is that sharking, you tell me? <hr /></blockquote>

Howdy,
sharking is an under statement of the behavior u described.
vagabond

nhp
09-30-2004, 05:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuechick:</font><hr> I think you need to read this thread a bit more carefully, I DID NOT refuse to shake the hand of the man I played... I have respomded already to other posters who made simalr assestment and have let it go. I talked to the player I played again, who tried to apoligize again, and I told him it was not his fault at all, and I apolgized for flying off the handle...I also did not mention anything about luck, so I am not sure why you have this in quotes? My anger was all about the Captain of the other team, and I just have to say, you had to be there...
Certainly my story is not unique and that is too bad. <hr /></blockquote>

I read your post clearly and comprehended the whole thing. Led me shed some different light on this for you. First of all, in your first post, you did not mention that the team captain was dancing in front of your hole. Secondly, what type of "7" would allow someone else, namely the captain of the opposing team, to shark you throughout the entire match, and let it go on until you LOSE the match? It sounds to me that you were outclassed in your match, considered complaining to someone about the sharker, but realized that you might lose the match even if he doesn't shark you, so you felt that letting it go on could give you a good excuse to lose the match. Bravo. Now, no offense of course, I am only making a logical conclusion by what you yourself have said. If you are in a match that means so much to you that you would go so far as to say "F*** YOU" to someone who was sharking you, why in the world would you let it go on? Why would you, being a New Yorker, let that kind of crap go on the entire match? You have no right to rant, it is your fault you lost, and you need to accept it.

Deeman2
09-30-2004, 05:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuechick:</font><hr> trust me these Southern men are not use to NY women.
<hr /></blockquote>

I remember that the Yankee men were not much different in Pennsylvania, NY and Boston and in some cases much worse. I don't think, as Southern people, we look down on women pool players. There are whiners in every locale....

SpiderMan
09-30-2004, 08:25 AM
Sounds like the other captain was a jerk, but still you did not handle it very well. You let him rile you up to the point of finally losing your cool, so there's a good chance that your adrenaline was too high during the match. His sharking worked, and possibly made you a little careless.

Your own captain should not have let this go on - he should have said something to shut the guy up much earlier in the match. Whatever else they don't have going for them, at least most APA leagues try to be very conscious of sportsmanship.

BTW, it's not a north/south thing, sharking and poor sportsmanship are found everywhere, but your reaction and language did nothing to improve the local clientele's impression of New York women.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuechick:</font><hr> I had a very annoying match last night, just the kind where you feel a tiny bit jipped. I played another "7" and was nervous but excited because since I became one myself, this is the first time I have played one. I lost the first game, after blowing two open shot chances to run out. The next game I ran out to my last ball, but over stroked, and it jarred in the pocket. It is now 2-0, him and he then proceeds to make TWO 8 balls on the break in a row! Now it is 4-0 and he needs only one more game.
Again, I run the table and make a beautiful cut shot on my next to last ball, and tap the 8 ball, sitting in the middle of the table and it goes in a pocket. Just like that I lose. If that is not irritating enough, his captain, an older man, who had been sharking me throughout the match, is acting like he was the won who won. Smiling and laughing when I made the early 8 and just being an AH. He actually sticks out his hand to shake mine (after I shake my opponents who was a very nice guy and felt bad about the last game), I looked at him and just said "F@&amp;% You". He gets all bent out a shape, like he did not see it coming, trust me these Southern men are not use to NY women.
He finally says, "You just mad cause you got beat.", to that I replied, "Yeah, I got beat, but not by you. I'll play you for money, right now." he said, "I don't want to play you for money." and I said "Of course you don't."
You got to love this game....
<hr /></blockquote>

SpiderMan
09-30-2004, 08:35 AM
The slower the table, the more advantage there may be in breaking off the second ball. If it's really slow and dirty, the third ball will give more spread (because of less mass to move), but less chance at dropping the 8.

Of course, the APA rules specifically require a hit on the first or second ball, so a third-ball break can't be used in an honest APA match. But since no one calls to have the hit watched on the break, you can always argue that you clipped the second ball on the way in. Who knows, maybe you did /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SpiderMan

Eric.
09-30-2004, 08:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> BTW, it's not a north/south thing. Unless the guy was a yankee /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SpiderMan

Hey Spidey,

FWIW, I think that Cuechick wasn't putting down the Southern guy. I think her thing about 'NY women" meant something about how women around here are a bit more assertive and outspoken. Instead of biting their tongues, they will let you know exactly what their opinion is.

On the one hand, I think that's cool. On the other, it can be annoying too.

Eric &gt;only has 2 hands

Deeman2
09-30-2004, 09:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> BTW, it's not a north/south thing. Unless the guy was a yankee /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SpiderMan

Hey Spidey,

FWIW, I think that Cuechick wasn't putting down the Southern guy. I think her thing about 'NY women" meant something about how women around here are a bit more assertive and outspoken. Instead of biting their tongues, they will let you know exactly what their opinion is.

<hr /></blockquote>

I think you are blaming Spiderman for something I said in an earlier post. I know exactly how Yankee women behave as I am married to one for the time being at least. I just mean that the men I have met up in the north are every bit as protective of their male testerone laced pride as a southern person. I do know how aggressive they (yankee women) can be and have no problem with that. I just don't want southern men to carry yet another burden of being less enlightened (read less attuned) to the needs of women to compete on fair and even turf. I have seen just as many silly outbursts among the liberal tribe of men in those places I mentioned before.

Any who think Altanta, for instance (as Cuechick is there) is more zenophobic, racial and masculine/hairy/siverbacked male than, for instance, Baltimore have just not spent enough time in either place.

I think it is laudible that Cuechick is a seven. I think she should beat most people whom she plays as that is a benefit of being a seven. When she wins, her opponent should be gratious. When she loses, she should be gratious. Will some people, both men and women, still give her a rough time? Yep. It happens, you go on. She will find, as she increases her skill and experience, that the sharking will impact her less and less. I actually don't mind someone trying to shark me as it tells me something about the fragility of their game and their class as a person. I do not like it when they try it on my wife or other less skilled players. This game is tough enough to learn to compete at without mindnumbing characters trying to win away from the table.

Deeman

SpiderMan
09-30-2004, 09:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> BTW, it's not a north/south thing. Unless the guy was a yankee /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SpiderMan

Hey Spidey,

Eric &gt;only has 2 hands <hr /></blockquote>

Understood, it's an individual preference sometimes. But I tend to have far less respect when someone (male or female, and regardless of geography) reacts with profanity and makes "gambling challenges". Perhaps it's because I easily ignore sharking; most stuff rolls right off without affecting me. Except comments about momma, of course /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SpiderMan

Deeman2
09-30-2004, 09:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> because I easily ignore sharking; most stuff rolls right off without affecting me. Except comments about momma, of course /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

This from a guy who eats everything in sight, never gains a pound and climbs on a table like it's a Harley Sportster! However, he does eat up bar tables like they are popcorn!!

Yo Momma!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Deeman

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Eric.
09-30-2004, 09:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>
I think you are blaming Spiderman for something I said in an earlier post. I know exactly how Yankee women behave as I am married to one for the time being at least. I just mean that the men I have met up in the north are every bit as protective of their male testerone laced pride as a southern person. I do know how aggressive they (yankee women) can be and have no problem with that. I just don't want southern men to carry yet another burden of being less enlightened (read less attuned) to the needs of women to compete on fair and even turf. I have seen just as many silly outbursts among the liberal tribe of men in those places I mentioned before.

Any who think Altanta, for instance (as Cuechick is there) is more zenophobic, racial and masculine/hairy/siverbacked male than, for instance, Baltimore have just not spent enough time in either place.

I think it is laudible that Cuechick is a seven. I think she should beat most people whom she plays as that is a benefit of being a seven. When she wins, her opponent should be gratious. When she loses, she should be gratious. Will some people, both men and women, still give her a rough time? Yep. It happens, you go on. She will find, as she increases her skill and experience, that the sharking will impact her less and less. I actually don't mind someone trying to shark me as it tells me something about the fragility of their game and their class as a person. I do not like it when they try it on my wife or other less skilled players. This game is tough enough to learn to compete at without mindnumbing characters trying to win away from the table.

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

Deeman(2),

I might be misreading your post, but I think you still missed Cuechick's point(or maybe I am missing it).

I think what she meant by "Southern guy not used NY girls" may mean that in her opinion, Southern guys may be more accustomed to women who are more reserved, generally won't challenge a man and will be less confrontational. They(Southern guys)may be a bit surprsed by her 'different' way of handling the situation. I might be wrong. I'll let Cuechick speak for herself from here on in.

On a side note, not that it's a HUGE deal, but why do Southerner's like to refer to Northerner's as 'Yankees' in a derogertory way? Funny thing, Northerner's don't typically refer to you guys as 'yuck-yucks' or something like that.

Eric &gt;the $64,000 question

Deeman2
09-30-2004, 10:07 AM
[On a side note, not that it's a HUGE deal, but why do Southerner's like to refer to Northerner's as 'Yankees' in a derogertory way? Funny thing, Northerner's don't typically refer to you guys as 'yuck-yucks' or something like that.

Eric &gt;the $64,000 question <hr /></blockquote>

Eric,

You may be right in Cuechicks intent. I think I was maybe too sensitive (being a sensitive southerner) to the idea that we are not exposed to women who speak their mind and that we don't understand a Northern woman's attitude. That's just not fair to our women or men. I think it's simply not true although I did not take great offense at it. I was simply making a small point, I hope. I think most of the points we strive to make here are, by their nature, not earth shaking. Sorry, I just like to express my inner child who should be spanked on occasion.

As far as the term Yankee, I didn't really think of it as a put down as your most successful baseball team did not get the name from me, anyway. I do, really think of it as an endearing term, not a put down. Of course, along with 78% of all American Indians, I think the Redskins is not all that bad or detrimental either. The Yankee Clipper, The Yankee Billiard Club (York, PA. of which I am a dues paid, card carrying member, really), Yankee Ingenuity, I think you see where I'm going. No, I would not like you calling me Southern White Trash but I had no idea Yankee was an offensive term in these days and times. I just may not have the right PC hat on but I think it's been about since reconstruction that we have used that term negatively, at least in my neighborhood.

For the record, I don't use the term Yankee, except in the most respectful way. After all, I have to lay down with one every night and she has a gun!

If someone can suggest a less offensive term, I'll convert. Maybe Northern Type Persons, Near Canadians, Non-Southern Challenged, Doodle Dandy's, the "Y" word, I will abide by the preferred PC. Somebody can run a poll. However, I still hope the Cardinals whup the livin' crap outta the "Y" Pinstrippers this fall /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif and that George Bush does the same to "Y" Kerry tonight and in November. Sorry, I have to set limits, even on political correctness.

Deeman
"Yuck Yuck from Way Back"

Eric.
09-30-2004, 10:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> If someone can suggest a less offensive term, I'll convert. Maybe Northern Type Persons, Near Canadians, Non-Southern Challenged, Doodle Dandy's, the "Y" word, I will abide by the preferred PC. Somebody can run a poll. However, I still hope the Cardinals whup the livin' crap outta the "Y" Pinstrippers this fall /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif and that George Bush does the same to "Y" Kerry tonight and in November. Sorry, I have to set limits, even on political correctness.

Deeman
<hr /></blockquote>

...As Eric. pulls a Kerry flip-flop:

Then again you make a good point Dee, alot of people take the political correct thing too far.

Eric &gt;not political, rarely correct

SpiderMan
09-30-2004, 11:16 AM
Eric,

I didn't realize that "Yankee" was considered derogatory. In fact, some of my northern co-workers are adamant that we not forget that they are Yankees. I had always considered the term to be more of a reference to geographic origin. Is that a mistake?

SpiderMan

Yuk-yuks? Now that's a new one on me!

Stretch
09-30-2004, 12:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> [On a side note, not that it's a HUGE deal, but why do Southerner's like to refer to Northerner's as 'Yankees' in a derogertory way? Funny thing, Northerner's don't typically refer to you guys as 'yuck-yucks' or something like that.

Eric &gt;the $64,000 question <hr /></blockquote>

If someone can suggest a less offensive term, I'll convert. Maybe Northern Type Persons, Near Canadians, Non-Southern Challenged, Doodle Dandy's, the "Y" word, I will abide by the preferred PC. Somebody can run a poll. However, I still hope the Cardinals whup the livin' crap outta the "Y" Pinstrippers this fall /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif and that George Bush does the same to "Y" Kerry tonight and in November. Sorry, I have to set limits, even on political correctness.

Deeman

<hr /></blockquote>

Near Canadian?? You guys should be so lucky! LOL As a Nova Scotian, we are often called Blue Nosers. It came from our fishing past. The "fishers" (new pc term) would go out with blue knitted mits to haul up the trap sets and lines. It's cold wet work, so runny noses would get constantly wiped with blue mits. The ink in the wool would eventualy colour the nose blue, hense the name.

Speeking about noses, what's the difference between an a$$ kisser and a brown noser.......Depth Perception! St

Deeman2
09-30-2004, 12:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>

Near Canadian?? You guys should be so lucky! LOL As a Nova Scotian, we are often called Blue Nosers. It came from our fishing past. The "fishers" (new pc term) would go out with blue knitted mits to haul up the trap sets and lines. It's cold wet work, so runny noses would get constantly wiped with blue mits. The ink in the wool would eventualy colour the nose blue, hense the name.

<hr /></blockquote>

Great Stretch!

Now, aside from insulting the "Y" people, I've insulted a whole other country (you guys still are a country, right?). I met a guy who had escaped from Nova Scotia and was living in Thailand when I lived there. Just to be friendly, I asked, "Where, exactly, is Nova Scotia?" He said, "Just head north until you are miserably cold, your nose turns blue and people are smiling through a frozen grin. If they are frowning, you're in New York and have to go further north."

I guess, in the interest of world peace and my used to be good reputation, we better just let this thread die a peaceful death before I am attacked by a thundering herd of New Yorkers. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Deeman

Eric.
09-30-2004, 01:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Eric,

I didn't realize that "Yankee" was considered derogatory. <hr /></blockquote>

Only to the sensitive types, Spidey. I believe the origin of the term(I ain'ts no History professor) came from the Brits around the time of the original 13 colonies. Yankees was another way of saying "jerk offs". Or something like that.

Eric &gt;Yankee

cuechick
09-30-2004, 04:14 PM
Okay nhp,
Let me give this one more shot. I was not upset at my opponent, nor unhappy that I lost, nor was am I trying to blame anyone for my loss. I was clearly outplayed, the only thing I was unhappy about as far as the match itself, was not getting more of a chance to play, since he made the 8's.
The biggest shark, the one I described, happened just before I made the last shot that ended the match. I did tell him to stop as I described. I do not "blame" the sharking for that either, it was a beautiful almost 90 degree cut shot, and it was just a fluke that the 8 ball went in. This entire match only lasted about 20 minutes at the most, there really wasn't time to do as you suggested, and his sharking did not cause me to lose and I never said it did.
What I was upset about was the behavior of the Captain, esp after the match, laughing and gloating when the 8 went in then sticking out his hand like HE just beat me...I really wish all of you could have seen his face, my reaction was just a gut one, and I DO regret it. As a matter of fact, I was up all night tossing and turning, it is not like me to do that, and believe me I had to really be provoked to lose my cool.
And as far as I know there is still free speech in this country, and I absolutely have the right to come here and vent. And I have learned a lot from many of the thoughtful replies I have received, even yours
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cuechick
09-30-2004, 04:16 PM
Hey Deeman,
I did mean it exactly as Eric said. And you know, I have never really mentioned gender being a factor even though I am pretty sure this Captain would not have been acting that way if I were a Man...

Scott Lee
09-30-2004, 04:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> You odviously haven't read Joe Tuckers Racking Secrets Book Scott. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif It may have been luck but more than likely the odds were in the breakers favorite after all the racker should check to see what's frozen and what's not.

If the rack was tight? Then, I'll agree with the luck part. I just have way too much fun now checking racks after Joe Tucker' book. HAHAHAHA

Regards,

C.C.~~I can hear it now, how much you don't make the 8 Chris? lol Taunting my opponent for Fri. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

CC...Yes, I've read Joe's book. I was, naturally, assuming a tight rack...which is what anyone would get from me. Okay, here's the deal! You got 3-1 on the $$$ tomorrow afternoon. We bet $100 a rack, on you making the 8! LOL Like it so far? Okay...4-1, and you can shoot the CB out of a cannon, for all I care! LMAO I still got the dead nuts...even at FIVE to ONE!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif See ya tomorrow about 3-4pm!

Scott

nhp
09-30-2004, 05:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuechick:</font><hr> Okay nhp,
Let me give this one more shot. I was not upset at my opponent, nor unhappy that I lost, nor was am I trying to blame anyone for my loss. I was clearly outplayed, the only thing I was unhappy about as far as the match itself, was not getting more of a chance to play, since he made the 8's.
The biggest shark, the one I described, happened just before I made the last shot that ended the match. I did tell him to stop as I described. I do not "blame" the sharking for that either, it was a beautiful almost 90 degree cut shot, and it was just a fluke that the 8 ball went in. This entire match only lasted about 20 minutes at the most, there really wasn't time to do as you suggested, and his sharking did not cause me to lose and I never said it did.
What I was upset about was the behavior of the Captain, esp after the match, laughing and gloating when the 8 went in then sticking out his hand like HE just beat me...I really wish all of you could have seen his face, my reaction was just a gut one, and I DO regret it. As a matter of fact, I was up all night tossing and turning, it is not like me to do that, and believe me I had to really be provoked to lose my cool.
And as far as I know there is still free speech in this country, and I absolutely have the right to come here and vent. And I have learned a lot from many of the thoughtful replies I have received, even yours
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

You have to understand that I was only going by what you said in your posts. You had given me the impression that he reached out to shake your hand as a nice gesture, and you said "F*** YOU" to him. That was the impression I got. It seemed to me that since you mentioned him sharking you as "something on the side" it seemed as if you just threw it into your story as an excuse. Now that you have clarified that he was gloating and being a little 11 year old kid, I'll side with you on this, as I can understand where the "F*** YOU" came from. It took you 3-4 posts for me to fully understand you. Next time be more specific about your agitator.

Barbara
09-30-2004, 05:31 PM
nhp,

I didn't have to read twice as to whom cuechick made the *expletive deletive*.

Stop speed-reading posts.

Barbara~~~use to cruise at 3500wpm, but lost the translation...

Popcorn
09-30-2004, 05:46 PM
Let me get this right. You feel because someone is an exuberant, happy, excited winner, yes maybe even gloating, it justifies saying FU to them when they try to shake your hand? What is this place, just a cliquish mutual admiration society? Can't any of you actually be honest and objective? Give me a break.

Barbara
09-30-2004, 06:15 PM
Popcorn,

You have totally misread my response to nhp. He thought that cuechick said F*U* to her immediate opponent when it happened that it was the captain of the team that was sharking her and her opponent actually apologized to her for her captain's behavior during the match.

Perhaps you should go back a re-read her original post and some of cuechick's revisions on the situation. And add a few seconds, before you jump into the waters.

I will never allow one of my teammates to belittle another team's member for any action, warranted or not. Fighting during a match does noone any good. The fight is on the table, not with words or fists.

Give me your best shot. On the table.

Barbara

Chris Cass
09-30-2004, 08:01 PM
HAHAHAHA

Scott,

Your too funny man. See you tomorrow my friend. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Out of a cannon? HAHAHAHAHA

Regards,

C.C.~~some racks just don't get the balls tight. The balls are most of the time worn down and need replacing in the bars and never will be replaced till someone steals one. lol crappy equipment, dirty balls, lousy house cues, drunk players, what's not to like? lol You just can't take it serious. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Popcorn
09-30-2004, 08:52 PM
The truth is, we would all like to think we will always take the high road in those situations, but sometimes we don't.

nhp
09-30-2004, 09:00 PM
Actually Barbara I already knew that she cussed at the coach. I never said I thought she cussed at the player. I thought the coach was making a nice gesture to shake her hand, but I guess he was being a jerk when he did that.

Chris Cass
09-30-2004, 10:02 PM
Hey nhp,

I think this was a valuable lesson for her. It doesn't get better as in any lessons in life we face. What does get better is the way we deal with it.

JAT,

C.C.

Scott Lee
10-01-2004, 05:38 AM
Damn...and I thought I had me a FISH! LOL You're triple smart buddy. See you later today!

Scott

SPetty
10-01-2004, 11:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Let me get this right. You feel because someone is an exuberant, happy, excited winner, yes maybe even gloating, it justifies saying FU to them when they try to shake your hand? What is this place, just a cliquish mutual admiration society? Can't any of you actually be honest and objective? Give me a break. <hr /></blockquote>I think there's been a lot of honest and objective responses to this thread. I can't imagine anyone, especially an ass like that guy obviously was, pushing me to the point where I'd say "F--K YOU" out loud to them in anger over a pool match. But, I'm not a New York yankee woman... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Chris Cass
10-01-2004, 11:49 AM
Well Barabara,

You odviously never seen me and Scott match up. By the time were done and full of blood we hug and he gives me a peck on the cheek. Unfortunately it's not the one I ask him to kiss. HAHAHAHAHA

Regards,

C.C.~~horray, today we get to play again togather. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
10-01-2004, 11:59 AM
Hi SPetty,

One thing I can say about Popcorn is that he doesn't pull any punches. He says what he feels and is there to stand up for what he feels is right. Some may not take it the way he means it or maybe even take offense to it. It is many times full of wisdom. I guess that's why I have so much respect for the man. He does make some valid points, in what he has to say. What I do admire his non bias opinion, even where gender may come into play. You'll never find him sugar coating anything and every once in awhile may change his view and when he does? He'll commit to it enough to publically admit the reasons why. Gotta love the guy. I know I do.

Regards,

C.C.~~not directed to SPetty my fav Texas girl.

SPetty
10-01-2004, 12:56 PM
You're preachin' to the choir, sweetie.

SpiderMan
10-01-2004, 02:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Let me get this right. You feel because someone is an exuberant, happy, excited winner, yes maybe even gloating, it justifies saying FU to them when they try to shake your hand? What is this place, just a cliquish mutual admiration society? Can't any of you actually be honest and objective? Give me a break. <hr /></blockquote>I think there's been a lot of honest and objective responses to this thread. I can't imagine anyone, especially an ass like that guy obviously was, pushing me to the point where I'd say "F--K YOU" out loud to them in anger over a pool match. But, I'm not a New York yankee woman... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
<hr /></blockquote>
I can't imagine it either. I'd never want anyone to have the satisfaction of knowing he got to me. Plus, not being a woman (New York or otherwise), I don't have the luxury of saying F#you to folks without first considering if I can win the fight I might provoke.

Do some women exploit this "double standard"? In my observations, some do, but I don't respect them for it. They can bluster, curse, assertive and tough, with far less concern for physical consequences - particularly in the south.

SpiderMan

Chris Cass
10-01-2004, 09:26 PM
Wow, need to retake the Judge Larry Joe' translation course. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~thanks for the agreeing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

highsea
10-02-2004, 03:51 AM
Hey Cuechick, I liked you post, and it resonated with me.

We are not all pro's, and as much as I enjoy certain people's comments, I think it's been a while for these guys in the bar pool world. Everyone likes to hold the high ground, but sometimes it's just appropriate to tell someone to F*ck Off. Oh well. Nobody's perfect.

You're apprehension may have put you in a hole, (God knows I've been there) but you expected to win. Don't give up that thought. You will win most of your matches. You know? Call it divine right, call it superior preparation. It doesn't matter to me. You know it if you got it.

Look at it like this: you put them on notice for next time.

I think the response you got here on the CCB reflects a somewhat rarified atmosphere. I enjoy the comments here, but I'm careful not to let them overly reflect on my own game. A keyboard is not a pool cue.

It's called heart. Lol. I'm glad you're not gonna be playing me!

So stay cool, head down, mouth shut, and let your cue do the talking. You got their number, they already gave you their best shot, and it was doodlie squat. You know they're not gonna get (2) 8 ball snaps and an accidental 8 ball kiss next time! That's already 3 games ahead for you!

head down...and stay focused...

nhp
10-02-2004, 03:58 AM
Good post Highsea. I did tell Cuechick that after she clarified that when the sharking guy offered to shake her hand, he was being a jerk, so I do agree that cussing him out was ok. At first I thought he was making a friendly gesture, so I didn't understand why she said that.

highsea
10-02-2004, 06:12 AM
Hey Nat, You're cool, dude. Wasn't trying to single you out. I edited my post to be more politic.

As they used to say in the old "FBI" show with Efram Zimbalist Jr., "The story you are about to see is true..the names have been changed to protect the innocent" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
10-03-2004, 07:58 AM

"but sometimes it's just appropriate to tell someone to F*ck Off."

You don't really believe that.

"Look at it like this: you put them on notice for next time."

She has created an awkward situation for herself with what she did, it will most likely distract from her play next time. She has also opened the door for no holds bared and may get more of the same and worse.

Lastly, you don't go around saying F U to anyone for any reason.

You can't even be objectively honest, you tell her a bunch of crap you think she wants to hear. Truth is,she acted like a jerk and owes someone an apology the next time to put this behind her.
Your advice will just fuel the fire.

Deeman2
10-03-2004, 09:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Quote

"but sometimes it's just appropriate to tell someone to F*ck Off."

You don't really believe that.

<hr /></blockquote>

I did this very same thing last night and am sorry I did. I got second in a tournament I have won for a few weeks in a row. I had the hot seat and blew it. Anyway, a drunk, not my opponent, came up after the tournament and said, "Let's play for $20." I said, "Sorry, I gotta work tomorrow." It was after midnight and I don't like to play drunks anyway. He just would not let up and I finally told him to get, well you know.... This guy is normally pretty nice but not when he drinks. He just wolfed and badgered me and I blew up. Even as it was happening, I knew I should have just ignored him but, we sometimes screw up with our best intent. I'll probably see him tonight and guess I'll play him if he's sober. I just tend to think one, "No Thanks" should be sufficient.

Deeman
Washing his mouth out with soap....

Candyman
10-03-2004, 10:15 AM
Let's give cuechick a break. The reality of the situation is that we have all said or done things we wish we could take back. I know I have. My personality is like the tachometer on a vehicle. Once the needle gets up in the red zone, I definitely will blow up. Every one of you has that button, that if pushed at the right time and place,will cause you to do things you regret later. I admire people that control their emotions, but if they didn't say it, were they thinking it? Does that make it alright? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Cass
10-03-2004, 11:20 AM
So Cuechick,

I know you feel about as I did after posting something about a alcoholic, loud mouth, tighta$$, non-sponsoring, trouble making, guy I know. LOL

Once it was out of my system and that was about the next morning. I had days upon days of explaining to everyone and answering all the posts it generated. HAHAHAH

So, join the club and I bet about now your ready to pull your hair out. lol My advice? Try to get this puppy deleted. It's been from the shot, to the shark, to the pigion holeing and next will come Earl. hahahaha I know you never meant anything bad about anyone and that's because we've met. Some haven't had the pleasure Lara.

Take care and think before you post next time,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif know's what the girl is going through. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

cuechick
10-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Hey, Chris,
I don't regret this post at all. I learned a lot and take it all with a grain of salt, since none of you were there, and I am pretty sure about 1/2 may have reacted the same or worse...
I also do not feel I owe this guy an apology, I did apologize again the next night to my opponent, as I felt bad that this might put a damper on his very deserving win...(he actually approached me first to apologize again...I think that kind of tells you how bad this guy was acting.)
Anyway, I took all this nice wisdom y'all gave me with me to the APA Regionals, and won myself a trip to Vegas! I threw not a single tantrum, told no one to f*** off and became the first female 7 in the Southeast to qualifiy to the APA National Singles...yeah!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
10-04-2004, 03:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuechick:</font><hr> Anyway, I took all this nice wisdom y'all gave me with me to the APA Regionals, and won myself a trip to Vegas! I threw not a single tantrum, told no one to f*** off and became the first female 7 in the Southeast to qualifiy to the APA National Singles...yeah! <hr /></blockquote>
Tap, Tap, Tap. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
10-04-2004, 03:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> I just tend to think one, "No Thanks" should be sufficient. <hr /></blockquote>
Deeman, IMHO, everyone, no matter who, deserves one, polite, "No Thanks".
After that, they are on their own. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif