PDA

View Full Version : Rial Height????

RichardCranium
09-29-2004, 10:26 AM
Since I am playing more again I have noticed dead spots in the rails on my table. I checked the tightness of the bolts underneath and they all seem snug... Does anyone know what the "correct" rail height should be for a Gold Crown II.

Seems like alomost the whole table plays dead except for one side of the end rail... All of the side rails play dead...

Had new rubber put on about 6 years ago when the table was installed....(Is it time for a change???)

A_LOTA_NOTA
09-29-2004, 10:36 AM
Maximum height = 1 7/16"
Minimum height = 1 3/8"

SnakebyteXX
09-29-2004, 12:17 PM
Billiards Direct sells a simple wooden ramp they call a Rail Test Ball Ramp & Speed Indicator. Its uses are to test cushion bounce and cloth speed. It also has a rail height gauge and a pocket opening gauge. They're all intended to be used to determine the condition of a table by a mechanic.

I bought a rail height gauge from them to test the rail height on my old GC II for about eight bucks. It's just a simple block of wood that's cut to the 1 7/16ths height. You simply slide it along the edge of the rail around the circumference of the table keeping your thumb in contact with the rail edge to check for proper height. On my table the rail height would be fine for a few inches and then the block would slide under the rail indicating that it was out of whack. This proved to be the case in several key portions of the rails on all sides of my table.

For what it did - I thought it was worth the eight bucks they charged.

Hope this helps.

Snake

RichardCranium
09-29-2004, 12:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr>On my table the rail height would be fine for a few inches and then the block would slide under the rail indicating that it was out of whack. This proved to be the case in several key portions of the rails on all sides of my table.

For what it did - I thought it was worth the eight bucks they charged.

Hope this helps.

Snake

<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the info.....How did you fix it......Does Loosening or tightening the bolts underneath affect anything????? They all seem to be snug on my table...

Rod
09-29-2004, 12:56 PM
I doubt rail height is a problem unless the glue is broken loose in places. Of course then it would change. Go around the table and wiggle the cushion up and down to see if there is movement. The glue can break loose and make a loose dead cushion. That's why we had signs, do not sit on the tables. LOL

No matter, some cushions have a short life span. Since yours are 6 years old it falls right into the era of poor quality here in phx. I'm thinking to replace them not re-glue them.

Rod

RichardCranium
09-29-2004, 01:23 PM
I have wiggled them. They don't seem to move...I spoke to the local mechanic here in town..D.C.....He said that they have new rails these days that play far superior to the older stuff....

All I know for sure is that in two places on the table the ball comes off with no noticable loss of speed and has a very soft sound....Every where els on the table it has a "thud" sound and the ball loses at least half its speed going in to the rail...(It sounds really bad in some places)

Rod
09-29-2004, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Every where els on the table it has a "thud" sound and the ball loses at least half its speed going in to the rail...(It sounds really bad in some places)
<hr /></blockquote>

Oh I hate that sound. Are all the corner bolts tight where the rails connect to each other? Something is obviously loose. My guess glue slightly separated or real bad cushions but who knows? Have DC drop by.

Rod

Bob_Jewett
09-29-2004, 01:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RichardCranium:</font><hr> I have wiggled them. They don't seem to move...I spoke to the local mechanic here in town..D.C.....He said that they have new rails these days that play far superior to the older stuff....

All I know for sure is that in two places on the table the ball comes off with no noticable loss of speed and has a very soft sound....Every where els on the table it has a "thud" sound and the ball loses at least half its speed going in to the rail...(It sounds really bad in some places) <hr /></blockquote>
Rail rubber goes dead. I've seen some that was hard like pottery. And from a very, very well-known brand.

In fact, a ball will normally lose up to half its speed each time it hits a cushion. The ball doesn't come out as fast as it went in, and it usually comes out without any spin. As the ball moves away from the cushion, it goes from sliding to normal roll, which slows it by about 30%.

Some cushions are a lot worse than others. On one lag where I usually play, the cue ball made a horrible sound on the cushion and ended in the middle of the table. I moved to a different table.

On a good table, you should be able to shoot up and down the middle of the table and hit the far cushion three times.

SnakebyteXX
09-29-2004, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How did you fix it......Does Loosening or tightening the bolts underneath affect anything????? They all seem to be snug on my table...
<hr /></blockquote>

In my case it was a combination of a couple of different things - rail bolts that needed further tightening and excess Simonis cloth that had been left folded under the rails instead of properly trimmed. The rails were higher in some places because of the bunched up cloth pinned underneath.

As far as properly tightened rail bolts? I'm sure that there is a real danger from over tightening but what I discovered with mine was that in places where they weren't tightened enough - they sounded and acted dead. As I tightened them further the sound of the ball bouncing off the rail in the spot would literally change (kind of like the sound of a guitar string changes as you tighten it at the neck). I could tell when I'd reached the proper tension by the sound that the balls made when they bounced off the rail.

Having said all this there is also the very real possiblility that your rails have died a natural death. One of the most well known brand names in the business has developed a reputation over the past few years for hardening and losing its resiliance long before it's supposed to. So, it's possible your rails are DOA.

It's also possible that they have come unglued and that reseating and regluing them will solve your problem.

To sum it up: If it isn't improper rail height and it isn't poorly torqued rail bolts and it isn't rails coming partially unglued - it's entirely possible that you will have to buy a new set of cushions to replace those that no longer do the job for which they were originally designed.

Hope this helps.

Snake

Bob_Jewett
09-29-2004, 03:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr>
It's also possible that they have come unglued and that reseating and regluing them will solve your problem.
<hr /></blockquote>
I've heard that one local installer of new tables will just remove all the rubber and reglue it before taking it out to the customer so they don't have to make a trip back.

RichardCranium
09-29-2004, 06:24 PM
OK so I measured the rail height...I first checked where the ball comes of with the proper sound and speed (for the most part) measured 1"7/16 was the lowest measurment on the table )twp spots.....All the other spots aroung the table measured at least 1"8/16 (varied by about 1/32)

I am guessing it has to be rail height, but everything is snug under neath (I even checked the rails that wre good and them did not seem any thighter or looser)

I am guessing I just need to call DC out and have him reset the rails....

Now that I measured I am pretty sure I know the culprit...I have a 4 year old daughter that loves to watch the balls roll around the table....but she can't quite see over the rail so....."everyone cringe now"...she grabs the rial and pulls herslef up........Unfortunatly I can't always be around to catch her......(amazing what a 16th of an inch will do to a rail......

Rod
09-29-2004, 10:49 PM
I'd really really consider replacing them after 6 years. Yes you can reset which means reglue in places. To me that's sort of a patch job. Pull em off, clean the whole surface and put on new ones. That way you know what you have and not a weak link to come loose later. DC will know.

Rod