PDA

View Full Version : masses-cue can't touch table?

UTAddb
09-29-2004, 10:51 AM
I constantly hear that your tip isn't allowed to touch the table on a masse shot or it's a foul. This makes no sense to me and I don't see any evidence of it in the rules, yet some good players I know refer to it often. Is this just a rumor or am I blind?

Deeman2
09-29-2004, 11:07 AM
If this is true. I was not a ware of it and have violated it on many occasions wihtout anyone pointing it out. It would seem silly as a lot of us touch the cloth with out tips at the end of the stroke (ala Scott Lee) and it seems you would have to jab at the ball rather than follow through. This being said, what degree of angle do they consider a masse? I mean, a curve is a sort of trunicated masse just less angle of the cue.

I am curious at what the rules gurus have to say about this one. Also, what are all those little nip marks on the table at three cushion tables caused by, rules violators? Maybe!!

Deeman

ChrisW
09-29-2004, 11:25 AM
This was probably started by a room owner who
was worried about the cloth getting holes or something!

Chris

bomber
09-29-2004, 11:30 AM
remember this...sometimes people that dont play good dont always know what the heck they are talking about...some of them are quite ignorant to the lesser known rules...also, many people that are good players would rather tell you a wrong rule in order to mess you up on a shot...i have an aquantance that i gamble with from time to time...he loves making rules up on the fly and he is a damn good player...whenever we play i set up as many ground rules as possible...i have known him for years and i cant decide whether he is just an idiot or whether he is trying to shark me...i believe he is an idiot who is trying to shark (you would really have to know this cat)

Tom_In_Cincy
09-29-2004, 12:58 PM
No rule that I know of (in print) would consider this a foul.

I assume it is a house rule, if anything at all.

I see players breaking and their cue tips hitting the cloth all the time.

Jay M
09-29-2004, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, what are all those little nip marks on the table at three cushion tables caused by, rules violators? Maybe!!<hr /></blockquote>

Nope, if you look at the spot where the cue ball is sitting when you break, you will see them there too. Those spots are caused by the cue ball bouncing off the slate and pinching the cloth.

Jay M

Rod
09-29-2004, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I constantly hear that your tip isn't allowed to touch the table on a masse shot or it's a foul. <hr /></blockquote>

Somebody doesn't know what their talking about. Yet another rule dreamed up by someone.

Bob_Jewett
09-29-2004, 02:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UTAddb:</font><hr> I constantly hear that your tip isn't allowed to touch the table on a masse shot or it's a foul.<hr /></blockquote>
There are some other rules that you need to have ready:

If you hold the chalk in your hand while you shoot, or place it face-down on the cushion, it's a foul.

If you let the bridge handle touch the cloth, it's a foul.

If you have cue ball in hand, once you get down ready to shoot, it's a foul to move the cue ball again.

If your opponent is on two fouls, and you make a ball, your opponent is off of his fouls.

If you are in a game and your opponent takes a break it is a foul to shoot practice shots on another table.

(Actually, only one of the above is a real rule. Can you tell which one?)

kyle
09-29-2004, 02:11 PM
The last one no practicing.

Leviathan
09-29-2004, 02:17 PM
Bob, Bob, Bob. I predict that this apparently harmless jest will come back to haunt us all.

AS /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
09-29-2004, 02:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr>
If you are in a game and your opponent takes a break it is a foul to shoot practice shots on another table.

(Actually, only one of the above is a real rule. Can you tell which one?) <hr /></blockquote>

Did I pass?

Barbara

Scott Lee
09-29-2004, 03:18 PM
Barbara...Of course you did! But you're SUPPOSED to know, since you're a ref! LOL

Scott

ras314
09-29-2004, 04:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> If you hold the chalk in your hand while you shoot, or place it face-down on the cushion, it's a foul.<hr /></blockquote>
That one oughta be a rule. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
09-29-2004, 04:31 PM
The last one Bob.

C.C.

Chris Cass
09-29-2004, 04:33 PM
With flying colors Barbara. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

C.C.

Barbara
09-29-2004, 05:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Barbara...Of course you did! But you're SUPPOSED to know, since you're a ref! LOL

Scott <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Scott!!

when I get my a$$ back to Vegas during the Nats, I WILL be sitting in on the Ref classes again - ESPECIALLY "Bob Jewett's - You Make the Call" class on hits!

Barbara~~~loved that class!!

SPetty
09-29-2004, 06:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> If you hold the chalk in your hand while you shoot, or place it face-down on the cushion, it's a foul.<hr /></blockquote>
That one oughta be a rule. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>Yep.

(I can impersonate WesK too! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Deeman2
09-30-2004, 05:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay M:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Also, what are all those little nip marks on the table at three cushion tables caused by, rules violators? Maybe!!<hr /></blockquote>

Nope, if you look at the spot where the cue ball is sitting when you break, you will see them there too. Those spots are caused by the cue ball bouncing off the slate and pinching the cloth.

Jay M <hr /></blockquote>

Jay,

Respectfully, I am not the greatest three cushion player but I never used a "Break" type shot, just an opening shot that was a very normal paced shot. My high run is only three so I bow to your knowledge as to how they shoot "break" shots here. My only experience was in Belgium and Japan for probably 60 hours total. Please describe this agressive break to me.

Thanks,

Deeman

Wally_in_Cincy
09-30-2004, 06:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>Respectfully, I am not the greatest three cushion player but I never used a "Break" type shot, just an opening shot that was a very normal paced shot. My high run is only three so I bow to your knowledge as to how they shoot "break" shots here. My only experience was in Belgium and Japan for probably 60 hours total. Please describe this agressive break to me.

Thanks,

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

I think he means a 3C masse and a 9-ball break creates the same type of white spot on the cloth.

Deeman2
09-30-2004, 07:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>Respectfully, I am not the greatest three cushion player but I never used a "Break" type shot, just an opening shot that was a very normal paced shot. My high run is only three so I bow to your knowledge as to how they shoot "break" shots here. My only experience was in Belgium and Japan for probably 60 hours total. Please describe this agressive break to me.

Thanks,

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

I think he means a 3C masse and a 9-ball break creates the same type of white spot on the cloth. <hr /></blockquote>

You are probably right but I have seen much better players hit the cloth with their tip and never seen a nine ball break on a 3 cushion table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I will say this, the little I did play and the players I saw play showed me that that game is so complex and wonderful, you could spend a lifetime and not understand half of it. I really admire and respect Mike Massy's powerful stroke but some of the shots I saw made just left me with my jaw hanging.

Deeman

SpiderMan
09-30-2004, 08:12 AM
De 8-bawl gotta go CLEEEEN!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote UTAddb:</font><hr> I constantly hear that your tip isn't allowed to touch the table on a masse shot or it's a foul.<hr /></blockquote>
There are some other rules that you need to have ready:

If you hold the chalk in your hand while you shoot, or place it face-down on the cushion, it's a foul.

If you let the bridge handle touch the cloth, it's a foul.

If you have cue ball in hand, once you get down ready to shoot, it's a foul to move the cue ball again.

If your opponent is on two fouls, and you make a ball, your opponent is off of his fouls.

(Actually, only one of the above is a real rule. Can you tell which one?) <hr /></blockquote>

Jay M
09-30-2004, 04:21 PM
Wally is correct. I meant to use that as an example of how the cloth gets pinched between the CB and the slate as it leaves very distinctive spots.

This same effect happens on nearly every shot, you just usually can't see the spot. The spots on the billard table are from those shots where you really have to power the ball around, rather than spin it.

Deeman2
10-01-2004, 05:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay M:</font><hr> Wally is correct. I meant to use that as an example of how the cloth gets pinched between the CB and the slate as it leaves very distinctive spots.

This same effect happens on nearly every shot, you just usually can't see the spot. The spots on the billard table are from those shots where you really have to power the ball around, rather than spin it. <hr /></blockquote>

Gottcha, and agree!

Deeman